Saban in Perspective

TexasTiger

Saban's record at LSU:

2000 8-4 (lost to UAB)

2001 10-3 (6-3 in SEC)

2002 8-5 (5-3 in SEC)

2003 13-1 MNC

2004 9-3 (24-20 win over Troy)

Bama isn't paying that much for team that loses 3 games very often. When you make someone the highest paid coach, you expect THE premier team in college football.

After Bill Curry went 10-2 and was named the Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year recipient, Bama removed his ability to hire and fire his own assistants. One year after going 10-2, Shula was fired.

Saban complained about LSU fans being unrealistic when they followed the MNC with a 9-3 record. In the pros, having only 6 losses is a good year. Only 4 losses is a very good year. Only 2 losses is exceptional.

If Saban goes to Bama, he will be miserable.

No matter what happens Saban will laugh all the way to the bank. he would be set financially for life.

It will be bama that is miserable.

No matter what happens Saban will laugh all the way to the bank. he would be set financially for life.

Saban is super competitive, and doesn't seem particularly happy unless he's on top. Money's great, but I'm not sure it keeps him from being miserable. He doesn't concern me, though, as an Auburn fan. I'd be more concerned with Petrino.

Saban is super competitive, and doesn't seem particularly happy unless he's on top. Money's great, but I'm not sure it keeps him from being miserable. He doesn't concern me, though, as an Auburn fan. I'd be more concerned with Petrino.

Let's hope they get Saban, and don't end up getting the Boise State coach...

Let's hope they get Saban, and don't end up getting the Boise State coach...

I have to agree. After watching the game last night, I would love if we could get Boise State's coach. I think he is something that we could surely use. He sure made some gutsy calls last night, and they were definetly fun to watch. I started off watching the game not really caring who won. I was sort of for Oklahoma, because we had played them before(I know they beat us both times), and their fans were so nice when we went there, and also when they came here, so it was sort of out of respect. But during the forth quarter when it looked like all was lost and the game was over, this coach just took some chances that I haven't seen a coach take in a long time, and it was great. You had to pull for this team. They played their hearts out, and never gave up. They deserved to win, and its a shame that they are just being overlooked for the championship.

I don't think that Saban is coming to Bama, because I just think that he has said no too many times. I think that he met with Mal Moore out of courtesy, and has no intention of taking the job. I really don't think he is the coach for us. I think that he is a good coach, and has a lot of the qualities that we need, but I also feel that he has a lot of the qualities that we don't need. I think that he is rude to the press, and lets face it we need some good press, so we certainly don't need our coach to be rude. I think that he just feel like he has no time to deal with fans, because he just wants to do his job. I believe like Gene Stallings that the coach at Alabama is a tourist attraction, and the fans want to be able to meet you and get an autograph at any time and most anyplace. I just think that he is a little too arrogant for my taste, and I don't think that he is worth that kind of money.................now Steve Spurrier..........that's different. I would not have question the decision to offer him that much money one bit. I think he's worth it, and we could have adjusted to him,and not him to us, but I just don't think we could to Saban. I hope his refusal will force us into looking at a coach like the one at Boise State. One that is good, but can also grow with us and has the passion for the game and Bama. I think that is what we need.

Hasn't Petrino already said he is not interested - or in Bamaspeak does that mean "Hell yes, get me on the next plane to Tuscaloser?"

I think there is a LOT of things $aban did at LSU that doesn't show up in the records though....

He completely forced the alumni to pony up for the facilities upgrade

He recruited like never seen before at LSU

He recruited very well too and picked great prospects

He brings a really professional attitude that is great for the perception of the program

Archived