A gem from the Atlanta-Journal Constitution

TitanTiger

I'm not going to spend a lot of time talking about the other school's new messiah anymore. It was a big story, but it's done now. But this article was too good to pass up. Here's the money shot and a link for the full article:

...At each stop, $aban has lied. But let's get past that. Coaches lie all the time. Sometimes the best coaches are the best liars. They wear their ability to lie, distort and deceive as a badge of honor. Besides, if nothing else, having a good liar on staff gives Alabama an ace in the hole the next time the NCAA phones.

But know this about $aban: He was miserable in the NFL, and in time he'll be miserable in Tuscaloosa. Perhaps college football is where he belongs, but he picked the wrong place at the wrong time to ease his throbbing temples.

Alabama used to be a top 10 job. Today Alabama is a cartoon. It's symbolic of everything that is wrong about college athletics. (Most recent evidence: giving $32 million to a football coach). $aban is the Crimson Tide's seventh coach since Bear Bryant left. He's the fifth in eight years (counting Mike Price, who held the position only for an offseason of lap dances).

Alabama is now the second-best job in the state behind Auburn. And Troy's closing on No. 2.

There are at least five schools in the SEC with more strength, stability and promise: Georgia, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn. (Alabama gets the edge over South Carolina only because of the alphabet.)

Alabama doesn't have cachet. It has ghosts. The school will never dominate like before because the conference is too strong and recruiting is too competitive.

The Tide will improve because $aban can coach. But the days of owning Auburn and the SEC are gone, and the bigger problem is that nobody in Tuscaloosa realizes that. That will make $aban miserable. That will make him look around. Again. Michigan needs a new coach? Rich Rodriguez is leaving West Virginia? Time to try the NFL again?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedi...hultz0105a.html

I could written that article myself because it's precisely what I think. You've got redneck boobs with internet connections posting about $aban bringing another MNC to Bama and he hasn't coached a down yet, but the best Bama can hope for is that they can make the SEC's Big Five the Big Six (Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida being the others who have a realistic shot at the SEC title most years and can make a MNC run). And even that's not an iron-clad guarantee, though the opportunity is certainly there.

The biggest truism in the entire article is "the days of owning Auburn and the SEC are gone, and the bigger problem is that nobody in Tuscaloosa realizes that." Aside from a few levelheaded types, most of which post here, the bammer message boards are overrun with expectations of a MNC run within two years and relegating Auburn to 1970s era backburner status. Man what a rude awakening those hayseeds are in for.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got redneck boobs with internet connections posting about $aban bringing another MNC to Bama and he hasn't coached a down yet

i agree with that, like i've said before, anybody expecting anything great in the next 3 years is a doofus. everyone is saying "he won't do this, he won't do that, this will never happen that will never happen", but just like you put it.....he hasn't even coached a down yet. don't get me wrong, i'm not one of those "boobs" i'm not going to sit here and say he will win the SECCG, he will win a MNC because theres just no way of ever knowing that. i don't have a crystal ball. but for people to sit there and say "bama says he will win a MNC and he hasn't even played a down yet" and then sit there and list things that just "will not" happen, doesn't really make much sense. he hasn't even played a down yet. nobody knows what will or will not happen.

This is how I see this playing out in the minds of turds. Notice that I change from wins to loses. In the beginning they always count the wins. In the end they always count the losses. It's how they roll!

Year 1 of 7 - 8 wins - "$aban has to get his systems fully implemented."

Year 2 of 7 - 9 wins - "$aban has to get his recruits into his system."

Year 3 of 7 - 10 wins - "The schedule was too rough for us"

Year 4 of 2 - 4 loses - "The refs blew those calls that lost us those four games"

Year 5 of 2 - 4 losses - "We didn't want $aban anyway . He wasn't one of our own. In fact I even think he was throwing games on purpose. Auburn, LSU, TN, UF, and UGA sicked the NCAA on us after setting us up."

Year 6 "You wait till we get off the death penalty and return to our rightful place at the top of the college football world."

This is how I see this playing out in the minds of turds. Notice that I change from wins to loses. In the beginning they always count the wins. In the end they always count the losses. It's how they roll!

Year 4 of 2 - 4 loses - "The refs blew those calls that lost us those four games"

hey, that looks like what you can find from half the folks here any given saturday. "they're blowing all the calls against us. they have it in for us. they're trying to hand the game to them. damn espn!"

but seriously, there will be no excuses. i mean obviously you have to give it 2 years for everything to get settled, schemes to get put in, etc etc. thats with any coaching change. but after that, theres really no reason for any losing season. at this point, i'd be fine and really thrilled with an 8-3 or 8-4 season and thats it.

hey, that looks like what you can find from half the folks here any given saturday. "they're blowing all the calls against us. they have it in for us. they're trying to hand the game to them. damn espn!"

but seriously, there will be no excuses. i mean obviously you have to give it 2 years for everything to get settled, schemes to get put in, etc etc. thats with any coaching change. but after that, theres really no reason for any losing season. at this point, i'd be fine and really thrilled with an 8-3 or 8-4 season and thats it.

Yes but what will you accept in year three , four, or five? I guess that is what I am getting at.

Yes but what will you accept in year three , four, or five? I guess that is what I am getting at.

i don't think any fan should go out every year expecting to win the SEC or a MNC. so if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. sure i will be disappointed but such is life. i'm just saying, i don't EXPECT for this or that to happen, but boy i sure do hope. the potential will be there eventually i hope. however, i can probably say i don't accept anymore losing seasons. i don't think he has ever had a losing season with any college team he has been the HC of? correct me if i'm wrong tho.

i don't think any fan should go out every year expecting to win the SEC or a MNC. so if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. sure i will be disappointed but such is life. i'm just saying, i don't EXPECT for this or that to happen, but boy i sure do hope. the potential will be there eventually i hope. however, i can probably say i don't accept anymore losing seasons. i don't think he has ever had a losing season with any college team he has been the HC of? correct me if i'm wrong tho.

Don't know, but there is a first time for everything, right?

I think you are right about his record.

Do you really believe that the wolves will not be at the door if it contiues ho hum 8 -9 wins? God forbid there is a losing record sprinkled in there due to injuries or just bad breaks. How about a couple of years like Bryant had in 1969 and 1970?

Do you really believe that the wolves will not be at the door if it contiues ho hum 8 -9 wins? God forbid there is a losing record sprinkled in there due to injuries or just bad breaks.

the hounds need to leave him be and let him do his job.

Do you really believe that the wolves will not be at the door if it contiues ho hum 8 -9 wins? God forbid there is a losing record sprinkled in there due to injuries or just bad breaks.

We all know they should, but is that realistic? I say no.

We all know they should, but is that realistic? I say no.

to a degree, i agree with you. thats part of what worries me some.

I put as much stock into this as the repeated posts on here about "There's NO WAY he'll come to Bama!!" and "I can't wait to see the meltdown on TI when he Tebows them!!"

You better get your shots in now. :)

I put as much stock into this as the repeated posts on here about "There's NO WAY he'll come to Bama!!" and "I can't wait to see the meltdown on TI when he Tebows them!!"

I was one in the camp that thought he would never come to SPUAT. Mainly cause I didn't realize that he and Franchione were cut from the same cloth. I know that now and allow for it.

So you honestly believe that at the current wage he is being paid that expectations will not be unrealistic?

Hang on now, you were the one leading the "No way $aban comes to Bama" train. It's amazing how you transformed from 'humble bammer' (which, btw, isn't that an oxymoron?) back to 'arrogant bammer' in the past few days.

Your thoughts were based on your ideas about the 'Bama program and the overall job of the being the UA head coach. I'm sure it had little to do with your perception of him.

What is all this bunk I keep hearing about unrealistic expectations? Yes, we fired a man who had a 6-6 season. Boo hoo. While he had won 10 in '05, he had only won that many in the previous two years. While he had many factors stacked against him, it was obvious that he wasn't the right man. Agree? As for expectations - How are the expectations any different in Tuscaloosa than they are in any other city in the SEC that thinks they can field a competitive team. At Auburn, Arkansas, Georgia, UF, Tennessee, LSU, heck... even Ole Miss, having a 26-23 record and a 1-11 record against your three biggest rivals won't cut it. You know that, sani.

He has everything he needs to win at 'Bama. We no longer have facilities that aren't on par with Prattville High School and less scholarship players. We've gone from the schoolboy to the principal with the coaching move and will start to have success. Win every game? No. Have the success that (gasp!) Auburn has had over the past couple of years? It's very possible.

Every person that I speak to concerning the hire admits that it was a good one and that we'll have success under him. I come on here, where all of you get to hide behind the safe comfort of your computer monitor, and your "not scared", "have a better coach anyway", and "Bama still sux!!!!!1" I'm not the one being fooled.

So you honestly believe that at the current wage he is being paid that expectations will not be unrealistic?

Quote of the year:

"We're not paying this guy $40M a year to sit around and watch him lose 2-3 games a year."

What is $aban's average record?

Michigan State:

6-5-1

6-6

7-5

6-6

10-2

LSU:

8-4

10-3

8-5

13-1

9-3

Total (minus Toledo which doesn't count)

82-40-1

CAREER AVERAGE: 8-4

In only one of his five LSU seasons did he lose fewer than 2 league games. In three of those years he lost three games.

I'm not saying the guy isn't a good coach. But I simply do not understand the fawning over him. His record is pretty average.

Let me ask you a very simple question. A direct answer would be appreciated. If $aban's Dolphins were 12-4 instead of 6-10, do you think $aban's "heart" would have been in college coaching? Please....

If you ask me, him leaving Florida is better news for Miami than it is for Bama.

Hang on now, you were the one leading the "No way $aban comes to Bama" train. It's amazing how you transformed from 'humble bammer' (which, btw, isn't that an oxymoron?) back to 'arrogant bammer' in the past few days.

I've been through Franchione, Tebow doing the Gator chomp, the NCAA crap, 5 straight losses in the IB, Price, the CRR shank... I've been though a lot since 2000. As of 1/2, I thought he was coming. I knew he was interested all along while you guys apparently did not. I low brow. Don't ever expect me to say that we have a sure chance of beating you to your face. I may be thinking it... but in public, it'll always be "Our little 'ol boys just can't compete."

So, now that I'm saying that we're going to have success I'm all of the sudden "arrogant?" That word has it's tongue hanging out and is panting uncontrollably like Fulmer in a marathon. Let it rest.

Every person that I speak to concerning the hire admits that it was a good one and that we'll have success under him. I come on here, where all of you get to hide behind the safe comfort of your computer monitor, and your "not scared", "have a better coach anyway", and "Bama still sux!!!!!1" I'm not the one being fooled.

Name one person on here that didn't say it was a good hire. It was a great hire for bama. No one, including you, thought that bama would pull it off. The thing is, no one outside of T-town thinks that bama is about to return to 'its rightful place'. There is just too much parity in the conference now. $aban will bring you up to the big boy's level, but it will be hard for any one team to dominate the conference on a yearly basis. I would even say that the conference is stronger now than it was when $aban left a few years back.

That being said, I can honestly say that I'm not scared, and I do feel that we have the better coach anyway. And for the record, bama still sux. But I can say that, because I am behind the safety of my computer monitor. :rolleyes:

Quote of the year:

"We're not paying this guy $40M a year to sit around and watch him lose 2-3 games a year."

Michigan State:

6-5-1

6-6

7-5

6-6

10-2

LSU:

8-4

10-3

8-5

13-1

9-3

82-40-1

In only one of his five LSU seasons did he lose fewer than 2 league games. In three of those years he lost three games.

I'm not saying the guy isn't a good coach, because he is. But I simply do not understand the fawning over him. His record is pretty average.

Ole Miss: (be consistent - omit probation as an excuse)

6-5

5-6

8-4

6-5

Auburn:

5-6

9-4

7-5

9-4

8-5

13-0

9-3

11-2

That's not exactly sparkling considering that his competition evaporated after 2002. Keep in mind, probation hasn't been our only flaw over the past couple of years. Before we had our meltdown (that we should shoulder the blame for, don't misunderstand me), he was 2-6 against us at his current and previous jobs and was within a Bobby Petrino "Yes" of getting canned. Now, all of the suden, he's a God that some of you have admitted that you "wouldn't trade him for any other coach, college or pro, in the nation." I admit that he's built Auburn into a nationally renowned program, but it's foolish to say that he hasn't had some help.

Oh, and why is his year in Toledo convieniently omitted? Because he led them to a 9-2 record in his first year at a school that has had, at best, a mediocre history? Clever.

Quote of the year:

Michigan State:

6-5-1

6-6

7-5

6-6

10-2

LSU:

8-4

10-3

8-5

13-1

9-3

82-40-1

I'm not saying the guy isn't a good coach. But I simply do not understand the fawning over him. His record is pretty average.

Let me ask you a very simple question. A direct answer would be appreciated. If $aban's Dolphins were 12-4 instead of 6-10, do you think $aban's "heart" would have been in college coaching? Please....

If you ask me, him leaving Florida is better news for Miami than it is for Bama.

CNS is all time 91-42-1 and CTT IS 95-49. mind you CNS hasn't coached a college game in 2 years, but he did coach at Toledo in 1990 then did not coach again until 95. CTT started at :om: in 95. he has the same exact 8-4 career average as CNS, with the advantage of having a whole extra year up on CNS. he is just as good as CTT, and it is very obvious CTT has done great things with the AU program the past few years. why wouldn't we want someone as successful?

Name one person on here that didn't say it was a good hire. It was a great hire for bama. No one, including you, thought that bama would pull it off. The thing is, no one outside of T-town thinks that bama is about to return to 'its rightful place'. There is just too much parity in the conference now. $aban will bring you up to the big boy's level, but it will be hard for any one team to dominate the conference on a yearly basis. I would even say that the conference is stronger now than it was when $aban left a few years back.

That being said, I can honestly say that I'm not scared, and I do feel that we have the better coach anyway. And for the record, bama still sux. But I can say that, because I am behind the safety of my computer monitor. :rolleyes:

No one's been delusional enough to say that it wasn't a good hire. However, the party platform seems to consist of "Bama will gobble him up" and "he didn't light the woods on fire at the state of Michigan's little brother."

And yo, Supper. I hope you didn't take computer monitor line as if I would hit you or something! I just wanted to make that clear. :)

And yo, Supper. I hope you didn't take computer monitor line as if I would hit you or something! I just wanted to make that clear. :)

No, I know you didn't mean it like that. I took what you said earlier to mean that the only way we were man (or woman) enough to say things like that is when we are behind the safe comfort of our collective computer monitors. Which I am not sure I completely understand, but if that's what you think, then more power to ya! :thumbsup:

That's not exactly sparkling considering that his competition evaporated after 2002. Keep in mind, probation hasn't been our only flaw over the past couple of years.

You're right win. Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and Arkansas didn't field teams from 2002 - 2006.

Alabama isn't Auburn's sole competition. In fact, most of those programs have been as good or better than Bama over the last 25 years.

Archived