War widow set to return to Iraq

TexasTiger

It's unlikely the army would send her back. Similar to the movie Private Ryan, there are exceptions.

This is more likely now that she has gone public with this. If she was my soldier, she WOULD go back now. Dragging her CO into the public like this would definitely piss me off. She had about a 99% of not going back. But after this crap, all bets would be off. Pissing off her CO by making him/her into a monster for just doing his/her job would have mega repercussions.

As a female non-com with child, why is she still even in the military? Getting pregnant while in service was free ticket out while I was in.

She may go back active and not go to Iraq. Is her CO still the Devil incarnate? Why do libs ALWAYS assume that anyone serving in uniform is automatically evil?

She knew all this when she joined up. I believe the deal was known by all parties. Plus she was already divorced from the father. She knew all this could happen anyway. There have been countless cases of this over the past 60 years, why is this case any worse than the others? All that said, there are special rules for the kids anyway. Personal guess, this is really pretty basically a BS piece for the tv station. They get to slam the military for being all evil and child haters too. What a bargain.

$100 dollars says she doesnt go and you never hear the rest of the story. Cant let people in the military look like good guys. It is against Lib journalistic policy.

This is more likely now that she has gone public with this. If she was mine soldier, she WOULD go back now. Dragginjg her CO into the public like this would definitely piss me off.

She had about a 99% of not going back. But after this crap, all bett would be off.

Glad to see it would be about your ego instead of what was decent.

This is more likely now that she has gone public with this. If she was mine soldier, she WOULD go back now. Dragginjg her CO into the public like this would definitely piss me off.

She had about a 99% of not going back. But after this crap, all bett would be off.

It does seem to go against decency to send a mother back to Iraq, regardless of her assignment, considering the circumstances. But what if the roles were reversed, and SHE had fallen in Iraq, and her husband was being called back to service with a child to raise ? A prime example of why women shouldn't be in the military ?

Just askin'.

Glad to see you only pick and choose what to answer to. Proactively smearing her CO into looking like a crule heartless bastard was ok? I bet he/she has kids too. What if her CO was in the same boat as she was? Does SHE only get consideration? What about the other dads and moms, why are they LESS IMPORTANT than her? Last i looked this was a volunteer army. Are you saying she is really slave labor and was forced to join? Got any proof of that?

Why didnt she go to her CO instead of the tv station. Tex, I know you only want what will hurt the military the most. You are a lib, it is what defines you. I however have served with the finest, most decent people in the world. This was a 99% guaranteed no problem until she made it into one. She is not the first, nor the last, just the whiniest.

Lot of questions in there Tex and you as usual refuse to address any of them.

I loved a reservist quote from the first gulf war. "I didn't join this Army to go to war."

Women in the military have provided needed skills but have also brought uneeded headaches such as this. The story doesn't go into much depth so we are all guessing here. Does she want out or does she want a safe job with pay? We don'tknow. Has she applied for discharge? Somehow I don't think so.

I had a new airman report with her mother in my office one day, demanding that her little girl be released. I had to explain that it was not my option. Ironically, the airman wanted to stay in, which she did and loved it.

I dare say that nobody in the Army want to make this child an orphan and will everything it can to fix this. But mama has to decide to be a soldier or be a mother.

TexasTiger is an anti-war liberal. Honor and country seem to have no meaning. How do the feminist view this TT?

TexasTiger is an anti-war liberal. Honor and country seem to have no meaning. How do the feminist view this TT?

More "you're not a patriot if you don't think like me." That's what you think America is all about.

The woman has already served in Iraq. The boy's father gave his life in Iraq. A two year old needs AT LEAST one parent at home. AFT is an anti-family neocon fascist. Family and proper child raising seems to have no meaning to him.

Glad to see you only pick and choose what to answer to. Proactively smearing her CO into looking like a crule heartless bastard was ok? I bet he/she has kids too. What if her CO was in the same boat as she was? Does SHE only get consideration? What about the other dads and moms, why are they LESS IMPORTANT than her? Lst i looked this was a volunteer army. Are you saying she is really slave labor and was forced to join? Got any proof of that?

Why didnt she go to her CO instead of the tv station. Tex, I know you only want what will hurt the military the most. You ar a lib, it is what defines you. I however have served with the finest, most decent people in the world. This was a 99% guaranteed no problem until she made it into one. She is not the first, nor the last, just the whiniest.

Lot of questions in there Tex and you as usual refuse to address any of them.

I focused on the real nut of matter. You now fantasize all sorts of stuff. We don't know how this got to be a story based on this article. Perhaps the media contacted her because her husband just died. What does she say:

Lavely says, “I'm expecting them to understand and leave me here with my son, but the military is the military. So, whatever they say goes.”

She'll do what she's told. She never whined that it wasn't right or wasn't fair. She understandably wants to stay with her two year son who just lost his father. She just lost her husband. But she still hasn't given enough for you.

She doesn't even mention her CO. But that's the only person you show any sympathy for. Amazing.

You routinely say very stupid things, such as this:

Tex, I know you only want what will hurt the military the most. You ar a lib, it is what defines you.

This is like me saying "David, I know you only want to hurt two year olds the most. You are a conservative, it is what defines you." No, wait...you actually provide some support for that statement.

Step back from your ego, read some scripture, hug your children, think about your wife being in her shoes and read this simple story again.

It does seem to go against decency to send a mother back to Iraq, regardless of her assignment, considering the circumstances. But what if the roles were reversed, and SHE had fallen in Iraq, and her husband was being called back to service with a child to raise ? A prime example of why women shouldn't be in the military ?

Just askin'.

Some families have made tremendous sacrifices in this war. Most of us have made none. The hypothetical family you describe would have given enough and the surviving parent should stay home. If we need to keep sending the same folks back over and over we need to expand our force levels.

Some families have made tremendous sacrifices in this war. Most of us have made none. The hypothetical family you describe would have given enough and the surviving parent should stay home. If we need to keep sending the same folks back over and over we need to expand our force levels.

And Tex I have walked in her shoes and have done what she is doing, serving her country. She got in knowing the deal. No one mugged her into it. You still think the "Evil" CO is to blame for this. Well, people are doing their jobs in real trying times here. She is not the only one by miles. She is the one dragging the press into this.

As was said before, there are rules to help out in these circumstances. I bet dollars to donut holes she knows all about them. Why didnt she get out when got pregnant if she was sssooo worried about it? Why Tex?

What she has done is make a federal case out of a normal everyday Army issue. And give ammo to bleeding hearts all over the country that really dont understand the situation at all.

I dont even agree with calling her a widow. She was divorced from the guy already. They werent even married anymore and she disliked him enough to take back her own name again. So get off your high horse. You are not the only one that gives a damn about these people. Tex, these people are my people, her and the CO, and the guys in her outfit too.

More "you're not a patriot if you don't think like me." That's what you think America is all about.

The woman has already served in Iraq. The boy's father gave his life in Iraq. A two year old needs AT LEAST one parent at home. AFT is an anti-family neocon fascist. Family and proper child raising seems to have no meaning to him.

Read my post again. Also, you don't know what I am. I will refrain from calling you a communist because I think you are just misguided. You may, however, refer to me as a paleocon because I have been conservative a lot longer than those Bozos in Washington. My father fought facism in WWII and I fought communism in the Cold War. The two are branches from the same tree. We are once again fighting facism as practiced by a violent version of Islam.

The mother divorced the father. She needs to decide what she wants to be. I am all in favor of her being a full time mother, but she can't be both a mother and a soldier and not be treated as a soldier.

BTW, we have the Clinton/Gore reinvention of government to thank for the undersized militlary we have now.

Read my post again. Also, you don't know what I am. I will refrain from calling you a communist because I think you are just misguided. You may, however, refer to me as a paleocon because I have been conservative a lot longer than those Bozos in Washington. My father fought facism in WWII and I fought communism in the Cold War. The two are branches from the same tree. We are once again fighting facism as practiced by a violent version of Islam.

The mother divorced the father. She needs to decide what she wants to be. I am all in favor of her being a full time mother, but she can't be both a mother and a soldier and not be treated as a soldier.

BTW, we have the Clinton/Gore reinvention of government to thank for the undersized militlary we have now.

Any decision based in decency will be guided by the needs of the child that has already lost a parent to this war, not the choices of the mother in regard to a spouse. I don't know that anyone on this board is privy to the details of what happened in their marriage, although you claim to.

I know you about as well as you know me. I know, at the very least, you are misguided. I suspect you are sincere and well intentioned. But you are misinformed. Six years into the Bush administration and Clinton is still responsible for any problems? Has Bush ever told the American people we need to increase troop levels? Has he said the military is undersized? If so, what has done to change that? If you look into this you will see that the military cuts were quite dramatic under Sec. of Defense CHENEY prior to the Clinton administration. You should also know that Rumsfeld's goal was not to signficantly enlarge the military, but rather to have a leaner military with high tech capacity that could strike fast. He has never said we didn't have enough troops. The reservists who keep going back after shorter and shorter breaks may feel that way, but not the leaders you choose to support so blindly.

I am sorry. I only read the story

Her ex-husband was Sergeant Victor Langarica.

Sounds like divorce to me.

Six years into the Bush administration and Clinton is still responsible for any problems? Has Bush ever told the American people we need to increase troop levels? Has he said the military is undersized? If so, what has done to change that? If you look into this you will see that the military cuts were quite dramatic under Sec. of Defense CHENEY prior to the Clinton administration. You should also know that Rumsfeld's goal was not to signficantly enlarge the military, but rather to have a leaner military with high tech capacity that could strike fast. He has never said we didn't have enough troops. The reservists who keep going back after shorter and shorter breaks may feel that way, but not the leaders you choose to support so blindly.

You are actually right. Clinton/Gore under the guise of reinvention of government took the troop levels far lower. I didn't think it was right after the first gulf war and it was even worse under Clinton. I hold Clinton responisble for what Clinton did. I hold Bush responsible for what he does. Rumsfeld's pursuit of a leaner more mobile military was the wrong course under current world conditions. Rumsfeld failed to anticipate the insurgency and failed to adjust to insurgency warfare. Rumsfeld attempts to conduct lessons learned was called admissions of failure by the national press. Under their criteria we failed in North Africa, we failed at Nomandy and we failed at Bastogne.

Were we wrong to depose Saadam? No Were we wrong to think Iraqis could form a government without outside interference? yes Are we wrong to take the war to the the real facists (not your Republican kind)? NO

Question TT. Do you want us to win this war?

I feel sorry for the little boy, I truly do. But his mother needs to make up her mind: Be a soldier and be treated as one or get out. You can't be in the military and expect to serve 20 years without EVER being deployed to a hazardous area. So she's already been to Iraq? So what? I've been once already and I'm getting ready to go back. I'm also the only male in my family to carry on the last name. Does that mean I don't have to go back? No. DKW, getting pregnant while on active duty is STILL a free out of the military so nothing has changed since your time. I can't speak for the other services but in the Army there's this little thing called a "Family Care Plan." It's for dual military parents or single soldiers with kids. Basically what it is is that you have someone, a family member or whatnot, to hand your kids over to and take over as the legal guardian while you're deployed. If you don't come up with a Family Care Plan before you deploy then that's automatic grounds for being discharged.

I don't know what her problem is. Her ex-husband died last Saturday and already she's gone to media and caused a stink? Gee, that was fast. Something doesn't add up. Again, I feel for the kid but his momma is a grown woman and she's made the conscious decision to stay on active duty therefore she needs to get it through her head that she is not an individual but property of the United States Government until she can get out. Realistically speaking, though, she probably won't deploy. She'll whine enough that she gets to stay back with the Rear Detachment (every deploying unit leaves behind a Read D) with all the broke dicks and troublemakers that are on their way out anyway.

I am sorry. I only read the story

Her ex-husband was Sergeant Victor Langarica.

Sounds like divorce to me.

Question TT. Do you want us to win this war?

I never questioned whether they were divorced. But we don't know the details. For example, you state:

The mother divorced the father. She needs to decide what she wants to be.

We don't know who initiated the divorce. Maybe she was devasted by it, maybe not. But even if she wanted the relationship, knowing the father of your two old child is gone can be difficult.

The consequences of Iraq going badly can be catastrophic. Which is why I thought it was foolhardy to invade it and try to build a western-style democracy there. Once we decided to go in, though, I favored the Powell Doctrine of overwhelming force. Rumsfeld got his way. Cheney got his way.

I don't know what her problem is. Her ex-husband died last Saturday and already she's gone to media and caused a stink? Gee, that was fast. Something doesn't add up. Again, I feel for the kid but his momma is a grown woman and she's made the conscious decision to stay on active duty therefore she needs to get it through her head that she is not an individual but property of the United States Government until she can get out. Realistically speaking, though, she probably won't deploy.

As I've said before, we don't know that she sought out the media. This was a local affiliate. Local affiliates are always looking for local angles on national stories. If she were wanting to go to the media to cause a stink, why not contact the Today Show, NYT, The View, Ellen, Washington Post, CNN, Oprah, Air America, etc.?

Sounds like she knows she's property of the US Military:

“I'm expecting them to understand and leave me here with my son, but the military is the military. So, whatever they say goes.”

Sounds alot like what you're saying.

The consequences of Iraq going badly can be catastrophic. Which is why I thought it was foolhardy to invade it and try to build a western-style democracy there. Once we decided to go in, though, I favored the Powell Doctrine of overwhelming force. Rumsfeld got his way. Cheney got his way.

Turkey didn't help. The Army that was supposed to come in from there had to pack up and redploy thrught Kuait.

As far as the Powell Doctrine goes, he is the one who convinced President Bush to call off the dogs and allowed Saddam's army to escape. But, we are there and Iraq is but one front in this global war.

Who divorced who is irrelevant. She still has a decision to make.

Turkey didn't help. The Army that was supposed to come in from there had to pack up and redploy thrught Kuait.

Turkey has it's own national interest to think about. The odds of their Kurds seeking to break away from the country are much higher now. That is what they feared. It's a democracy and the vast majority of their people opposed it.

DKW, getting pregnant while on active duty is STILL a free out of the military so nothing has changed since your time.

I thought it would be but wasnt sure. So she could be free and clear of any duty if she wanted to be. Kind of blows the reason for this debate.

DKW, getting pregnant while on active duty is STILL a free out of the military so nothing has changed since your time.

I thought it would be but wasnt sure. So she could be free and clear of any duty if she wanted to be. Kind of blows the reason for this debate.

Never thought there was much reason for debate. Just noted the situation as tragic for that young boy.

Never thought there was much reason for debate. Just noted the situation as tragic for that young boy.

No. You did just like a good little dim and misled with your title. I see no widow here. YOU ARE A LIAR.

Archived