Former UA assistant goes to UCLA

JohnDeere

Former UA assistant goes to UCLA

link

By Christopher Walsh

Sports Writer

TUSCALOOSA | Former University of Alabama offensive line coach Bob Connelly is heading back to the West Coast where he will have the same position at UCLA.

The 36-year-old was hired on Wednesday.

“Bob is an outstanding communicator and teacher," UCLA coach Karl Dorrell said in a release. “He produced all-league performers at both Washington State and Alabama. I think he will bring a level of energy and expertise that will be a great fit for the young men in our program."

Connelly is the fourth former assistant under Mike Shula to land another job, joining Chris Ball (Pitt), Charlie Harbison (Mississippi State) and Buddy Wyatt (Nebraska). Shula was hired as quarterbacks coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Former defensive coordinator Joe Kines has also accepted a job with Alabama’s Tide Pride where his duties will include the selling of stadium suites.<imagine Kines' sales pitch>

“I’m just glad to be here," Kines said, proudly wearing a Crimson Tide jacket while taking in a little of Wednesday’s baseball game against Troy.

Still on the sidelines are former offensive coordinator Dave Rader, defensive ends coach David Turner, special teams coach Dave Ungerer and running backs coach Sparky Woods. The next couple of weeks could be crucial for them as most coaches hope to have their staffs completely in place prior to the start of spring football.

Prior to his four years at the Capstone, Connelly spent two seasons under Mike Price at Washington State.<imagine the nightmare Bob has been through>

Connelly will replace Jim Coletto, who left UCLA after just one year with the Bruins to return to the National Football League. Previously he had been with the Oakland Raiders (2005) and Baltimore Raves (1999-2004).

UCLA also recently hired former Nebraska offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jay Norvell, for the same positions with the Bruins.

Connelly’s addition also came approximately a week after Dorrell, 17-8 the past two seasons despite having just two senior starters last year, agreed to a contract extension through 2011. In July he signed a five-year contract that guaranteed $850,000 and included incentives for up to an additional $505,000 per year.

A 1994 graduate of Texas A&M-Commerce, Connolly was a graduate assistant at Texas A&M in 1998 and coached the offensive line at Cal State Northridge in 1999 and at San Jose State in 2000 before moving to Washington State.

Connelly was awful. Lucky to have a job.

I would think UCLA is a step up from the "football hell" in West Vance. UCLA finished with a winning record and beat USC. Plus, they have twice the talent then UAT.

Connelly was awful. Lucky to have a job.

I would think UCLA is a step up from the "football hell" in West Vance. UCLA finished with a winning record and beat USC. Plus, they have twice the talent then UAT.

Doesn't all of the sudden make Bob a good coach.

Bama has had the worst coaching staff in the SEC for the past two years. I'm just glad that BG has finally seen the light. B)

Bama has had the worst coaching staff in the SEC for the past two years. I'm just glad that BG has finally seen the light. B)

I would say Joe Kines would be an argument counter to that.

Cough, cough...

Former defensive coordinator Joe Kines has also accepted a job with Alabama’s Tide Pride where his duties will include the selling of stadium suites.

“I’m just glad to be here," Kines said

...Cough,cough.

Stadium suite defense! :cheer::poke:

Actually, I think Alabama's offensive line was abysmal the past two years. I'm surprised a quality program picked him up.

Well, a quality program with a complete dolt of a HC, that is.

Whoooo are you? Who? Who? Who? Who? I really wanna know.

I had heard that Kines is only a couple of years from retirement, and the suite job is just a way to let him spin his wheels until then, which allows him to collect pension.

Didn't they say the same thing about Mal Moore?

Okay that'll get you ahead of MSU but that's about it. B)

I had heard that Kines is only a couple of years from retirement, and the suite job is just a way to let him spin his wheels until then, which allows him to collect pension.

Didn't they say the same thing about Mal Moore?

We said a lot of things about Mal Moore. Yet, much to our delight, he wound up pimpslapping his own fan base by bringing in the "proven head coach." Mal is back in our good graces.

Archived