UGA OL Arrested ,,,,,will not face suspension - AJC

Tigermike

Auburn is lucky not to have nearly as many bars as Athens.

GEORGIA FOOTBALL

Strickland won't face suspension

Richt says freshman offensive lineman will be disciplined 'in-house'

By CHIP TOWERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/27/07

Athens — Georgia football coach Mark Richt said Monday he will handle discipline of offensive lineman Tanner Strickland "in-house," meaning the freshman will not face suspension for his arrest on misdemeanor charges of possessing a fake ID.

"We'll wear him out pretty good," Richt said following Monday's practice. "To tell his daddy about it wasn't real fun either."

Strickland, a 17-year-old freshman from Nashville, Ga., who enrolled early in January, turned himself in to Athens-Clarke County sheriff's deputies Monday. He was one of 13 UGA students who had warrants issued Friday as a result of information brought to the attention of UGA police by a U.S. postal inspector. Two were charged with intent to distribute fraudulent IDs.

Richt did not allow Strickland to speak to reporters.

"We'll get him straightened out," Richt said. "It was just a very, very poor decision. Young people do some dumb things sometimes."

Strickland has been practicing as the second-team left guard this spring.

His arrest was the third of a UGA football player since the end of last season. Offensive lineman Ian Smith was suspended six games for his second alcohol-related offense last December. Linebacker Akeem Hebron received a two-game suspension after his arrest for underage possession of alcohol in February.

Moreno says he's working to improve

Contrary to popular belief, Knowshon Moreno said he's not the reason Danny Ware turned pro early.

"That's not true," the redshirt freshman tailback said. "A guy's got to do what he has to do for whatever reason, but I'm not the reason why."

With his quick bursts and hard cuts, Moreno has turned heads during spring drills, but he said he still has a long way to go to catch up with Kregg Lumpkin and Thomas Brown as a complete back.

"I'm working hard, but I still have things to improve on," he said.

"Pass protection is the No. 1 thing right now."

Etc.

The Bulldogs practiced for an hour-and-a-half in shorts, helmets and shoulder pads Monday. "It was a good day, I thought, especially considering it was the first practice after the scrimmage," Richt said. "We worked on the mistakes we made [saturday]. Most of the things we did [wrong] were assignments, and those are things we can fix." ... After reviewing videotape of Saturday's scrimmage, Richt said the list of standouts included defensive ends Marcus Howard and Rod Battle, defensive tackle Jeff Owens, center Fernando Velasco and tight end Tripp Chandler.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/u...327ugafoot.html

Fake ID. No Big deal. We have all been there. Agree that he shouldn't be suspended.

Well I can't say I've ever been there... but I agree on No Suspension. Unless it violates some sort of non-alcohol policy (which wouldn't be this part of season anyways).

Fake ID. No Big deal. We have all been there. Agree that he shouldn't be suspended.

Never been there either. Ours were so good that we never got cau....

Did I say that out loud?

What that young man has been through and will go through for the next several months will be far worse than being suspended for a game or two.

I hear his fake ID was not too convincing. Looked something like this:

fakeid.jpg

Never been there either. Ours were so good that we never got cau....

Did I say that out loud?

What that young man has been through and will go through for the next several months will be far worse than being suspended for a game or two.

I just meant that most college kids have dealt with Fake ID's before...I never got caught either thank goodness

Archived