Jimmy Johns out for academic reasons

runswithscissors

hate to possibly lose him, but at least no ice cream cones are being handed out.....

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20070406...S/70406014/1011

TUSCALOOSA | University of Alabama sophomore running back Jimmy Johns did not participate in Friday's first spring scrimmage, his second consecutive practice missed for academic reasons.

Coach Nick Saban revealed Johns' situation during his post-scrimmage news conference. The scrimmage itself, as with all the team drills during spring, was held at Bryant-Denny Stadium and was closed to the media.

"If he does what he is supposed to do, both yesterday and today, and again on Monday, we will see if we end up letting him back on the field," Saban said.

Saban also said that wide receiver Keith Brown was held out of the team portion of the scrimmage with bruised ribs.

Saban's tutors must be slipping...They never lost a kid at :lsu: Got in trouble a bunch of times, but never lost a kid.

Saban's tutors must be slipping...They never lost a kid at :lsu: Got in trouble a bunch of times, but never lost a kid.

They just dont let every player do general studies in alabama.

They just dont let every player do general studies in alabama.

Do you really need a tutor for Home Ec?

What I want to know is... what is the academic situation that puts you in trouble one day and you are OK less than a week later? Does he have a bunch of tests monday (or just one if he's failing just one class)? If so, why wasn't he suspended earlier? Did they just now find out he's failing?

From Huntsville Times:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/huntsvil....xml&coll=1

Junior tailback Jimmy Johns, the Tide's top returning rusher, has missed the past two practices because of academic problems, coach Nick Saban said.

"Jimmy Johns did not practice (Friday) nor was he allowed to participate in the scrimmage," Saban said. "It is for academic reasons."

Saban said Johns had academic issues to be resolved Thursday, Friday and Monday. And if those are resolved, "Maybe we'll let him back on the field Tuesday."

And Johns has some issues to resolve with Saban, too.

"Dependability is part of it," Saban said. "A guy who can't even do what he's supposed to do to get to practice, that's not saying much for him in terms of where he's at."

What I want to know is... what is the academic situation that puts you in trouble one day and you are OK less than a week later? Does he have a bunch of tests monday (or just one if he's failing just one class)? If so, why wasn't he suspended earlier? Did they just now find out he's failing?

Bama Football players are evaluated every 2 weeks on attendance and grades. It could have been either one. Either he was skipping class or bombed a test.

But both of those can be turned around quickly.

Bama Football players are evaluated every 2 weeks on attendance and grades. It could have been either one. Either he was skipping class or bombed a test.

once a 'class skipper', always a 'class skipper'.

Does anybody know of other schools that are doing the same thing??? How does Auburn monitor their football players academic progress?? or any other school for what's worth?? I'm interested to know facts plz.. and not smart guesses

Does anybody know of other schools that are doing the same thing??? How does Auburn monitor their football players academic progress?? or any other school for what's worth?? I'm interested to know facts plz.. and not smart guesses

The only thing that I know is that certain athletes are required to attend X amount of tutoring hours per week. That is monitored strictly and if they don't go to enough hours, they have to run and/or get suspended. But I am not sure about keeping track of grades and stuff.

Sounds logical. If the guy blew off a class or missed a tutoring session or something of that nature, you'd expect this kind of punishment to get the guys attention. That would certainly fall under the category of an academic problem. No biggie if he gets his act together and starts doing what's required of him.

Sounds logical. If the guy blew off a class or missed a tutoring session or something of that nature, you'd expect this kind of punishment to get the guys attention. That would certainly fall under the category of an academic problem. No biggie if he gets his act together and starts doing what's required of him.

It was similar academic problems that kept Brad Lester out of the Cotton Bowl. The players do have to attend "x" hours of tutoring. CTT and staff also sends people to monitor whether the players are in class or not. If you have ever had a class with a lot of football players, you have probably noticed someone stopping by the door to check on players attendance.

It was similar academic problems that kept Brad Lester out of the Cotton Bowl. The players do have to attend "x" hours of tutoring. CTT and staff also sends people to monitor whether the players are in class or not. If you have ever had a class with a lot of football players, you have probably noticed someone stopping by the door to check on players attendance.

Not when I was on the Plains. But, I'm just a LITTLE bit older. I had numerous classes with players, including Bo Jackson. Had two classes with him. He showed up the first day and got on the roll. Funny thing, though. I never saw him again in those classes. Oh well, Drop and Add was a popular place. He probably didn't feel those courses were right for him. :big:

Archived