The folks charged with keeping us safe

TSA Loses Hard Drive With Personal Info

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Transportation Security Administration has lost a computer hard drive containing Social Security numbers, bank data and payroll information for about 100,000 employees.

Authorities realized Thursday the hard drive was missing from a controlled area at TSA headquarters. TSA Administrator Kip Hawley sent a letter to employees Friday apologizing for the lost data and promising to pay for one year of credit monitoring services.

Glad it was in a "controlled area."

This happens more frequently than it should, both in government and the private sector. Keeping accountability of equipment isn't exactly rocket science, you know. It's not hard. I have an E-5 that handles all this and we haven't lost anything during my tenure.

No kidding, the it seems like the VA office has a computer "stolen" once every two or three months. After one gets "stolen", I will get a letter in the mail informing me that they are doing everything possible to recover it. Here's an idea for them, leave the damn computers at the office instead of taking them home. I haven't heard of any of these incidents happening at the office.

Archived