UGA Fines Student Athletes

Caveman

Very interesting idea that appears to be working. I wonder if AU has contacted UGA about this policy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2896480

$10? weak. i say $50 and a half or whole game suspension. i wish the SEC would adopt a rule like this.

I would think that $10 is too low as well, but the numbers they are showing here lead one to believe that it has been a siginificant deterent.

I don't think student athletes are given large amounts for living expenses, $10 taken out of not much to start with would hurt. I (still) remember being broke while in college. :( On the other hand I agree with you guys that it should be more and ALL SEC schools should adopt something similar on a voluntary basis. Add the $10 in with the extra running and working and it could/would be a deterrent.

I read the attached comments to said article. One of them pointed out that it was not fair to charge athletes for missed classes, and not all students. My thought on that is that athletes, or at least a goodly portion, are getting their college paid for. And the ones that aren't getting it paid for are at least in line to get a scholarship. When all students are getting their college paid for, then all students can be charged for missing a class.

Hey, in a college student's world -- Especially a college student who comes from a underpriveleged background--$10 can be a lot. Heck, I had a scholarship and worked, and still was barely squeaking through. I remember having to live 4 days off $5. So $10 is enough hardship to make them remember.

Hey, in a college student's world -- Especially a college student who comes from a underpriveleged background--$10 can be a lot. Heck, I had a scholarship and worked, and still was barely squeaking through. I remember having to live 4 days off $5. So $10 is enough hardship to make them remember.

At Kroger in Auburn, $10 is a quarter's supply of Ramen (Hope I never have to eat them again) Noodles.

Archived