Thompson on top in last poll

TitanTiger

I'm with you on Thompson at this time. I like his style, but now it's time to see if he has some substance. Let's hope so.

I wish that Fred Thompson would do all of us a favor and declare unequivocally that he's not running for President.

You may like the guy's style. He may come off as "presidential" and many conservatives think that he's the Republican Party's best chance. They are wrong. Mr. Law and Order will not be able to beat Hillary under any conditions. If this were the united Republican Party of 2004, then I would suggest otherwise. In 2008, Ohio will not be able to save us. Unfortunately, with the war in Iraq as unpopular as ever and with conservatives as disgruntled as ever over immigration, we need to go with a guy who is super popular like Rudi. I think that Rudi can wins states like New Hampshire and Pennsylvania where Bush could not back in 2004. The GOP cannot risk running Thompson and banking on the state of Ohio and Florida to save us like they did back in 2004. We need a guy who can pick off a couple of northern states as well. No other candidate in the Republican Party can do that but Rudi.

I will vote for Rudi if the alternative is Hillary, but I don't think the way you win is by abandoning your core principles and respect for the rights of the unborn is a core principle of the GOP.

I will vote for Rudi if the alternative is Hillary, but I don't think the way you win is by abandoning your core principles and respect for the rights of the unborn is a core principle of the GOP.

If "principle" on this issue is important to you, you may want Brownback or Huckabee.

On candidate surveys in 1994 and 1996, he answered that he favored abortion always being legal in the first trimester of pregnancy and opposed an amendment to the U.S. Constitution "protecting the sanctity of human life."

According to the Nashville Tennessean, Thompson included a handwritten clarification with the latter response, reading, "I do not believe abortion should be criminalized. This battle will be won in the hearts and souls of the American people."

After Thompson again intimated, during a Fox News appearance this month, that he'd oppose criminalizing abortion, conservative columnist Robert Novak wrote that Thompson "came close to alarming his pro-life constituency."

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uui...0450DBAD00A5BD1

Well, I know they guy I am supporting right now is not one of the "big name" candidates, I think his stance is the most pure of the conservative/republican candidates. I am going to keep supporting him and try to get the word out about him because unfortunately he has to compete against a TV/movie star, a former mayor of NYC, and other popular republicans like McCain who are on TV a lot. I am realistic and know he is a long shot, but I hope he does get some more attention by running thus making him more "known" for future elections.

As far as Thompson goes, he may be my second pick right now, but I do like Romney also. Rudi is not on my radar right now. He just does not impress me as a conservative.

When it comes to the dems, I know some think Hilary is a lock, but I really do not think she will get the nomination. I foresee Obama taking the nomination. One day a few months ago, a couple of liberal professors (both teach history and political science classes) and I had a nice long, and civil, discussion about the 2008 election. We talked for about 1 1/2 hours over lunch. One of the professors is actually a Democratic delegate for the state. Surprisingly both of them said they do not think Hilary can win because they do not think the country is still not ready for a female president, especially with the war on terrorism that is going on and will still be an issue for many years. Neither knew who they would support for the nomination because it was still very early then, but they seemed to think that Obama would give Hilary the best run at it.

I can't help but wonder if these two very liberal and politically "literate" professors do not think Hilary can win the presidency, then what about all the other democrats and liberals in the country? Do they think the same way or are these two guys an exception to the democrat mindset? Is Hilary only a contender because of her name, but when it comes time to vote for her, she does not have the support she thinks she might have?

they do not think Hilary can win because they do not think the country is still not ready for a female president, especially with the war on terrorism that is going on and will still be an issue for many years.

I agree with them on this. Washington is still very much a boy's club.

For anyone who wants to know where Fred stands, read The Fred Thompson Report. You will no longer have any questions about the man, his ideas or his positions on the issues. The most straightforward pieces I have ever read. Not a lot of political BS language here - he calls them like he sees them, and a lot of what he says is what I am thinking.

I think he could beat Hillary. Not only because she polarizes voters just because of who she is, but also because he is a true conservative. Fred has already said that while he opposes abortion himself, he would not go along with criminalizing it - and I agree with that position. And no, his position on abortion is not an issue to me BECAUSE THE PRESIDENT HAS SO LITTLE DIRECT IMPACT ON ABORTION ANYWAY - bills have to be passed before he can veto. Justices have to resign before he can appoint someone, and that is only one vote. Cases have to be brought against abortion rights before the court can rule on them. States have control over abortion and that is the prime battleground for this issue. A PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE'S OPINION ABOUT ABORTION WILL NOT HAVE ANY IMPACT ON HOW THIS CONSERVATIVE CHOOSES A CANDIDATE, ESPECIALLY IF HE OR SHE PROMISES TO SHUT THE FREAKING BORDERS AND STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

Fred has said that Roe VS. Wade was bad law. He thinks it should be overturned. That is not the same as making abortion a crime.

You libs keep suggesting everyone BUT Thompson. That should be an indicator of how he CANNOT beat Hitlary.

I like him. I like his candor. I think Americans will like him the more they see of him.

I agree. The way our government is structured, nothing short of amending the constitution should be able to do what Roe v. Wade did. His position indicates to me that he's thinking rightly about the issue.

And I do think some liberals are poking holes in his candidacy because he worries them. They take hope in the lack of enthusiasm the conservative base has for the current slate of candidates and worry that Thompson might be the guy to get conservatives excited and united again.

I agree. The way our government is structured, nothing short of amending the constitution should be able to do what Roe v. Wade did. His position indicates to me that he's thinking rightly about the issue.

And I do think some liberals are poking holes in his candidacy because he worries them. They take hope in the lack of enthusiasm the conservative base has for the current slate of candidates and worry that Thompson might be the guy to get conservatives excited and united again.

Add to that the fact that the democrat front runners (& the DNC?) are in lock step with the far left wing of the party and it is easy to see why "some liberals are poking holes in his candidacy because he worries them."

I will be voting for Fred, however as far as needing a conservative like Giulliani to win the northern states perhaps he will run as vice president under Thompson...?

That would be a dream ticket as far as I am concerned.

Archived