"It's never wise to satirize the Episcopal Church." They defy parody.

Tigermike

Interfaith outreach

Mark Steyn

It's never wise to satirize the Episcopal Church. Four years ago, after the appointment of the "openly gay" Bishop of New Hampshire, Scrappleface offered the following headline:

Episcopal Church Appoints First Openly-Muslim Bishop

Today The Seattle Times brings us this story:

Shortly after noon on Fridays, the Rev. Ann Holmes Redding ties on a black headscarf, preparing to pray with her Muslim group on First Hill.

On Sunday mornings, Redding puts on the white collar of an Episcopal priest.

She does both, she says, because she's Christian and Muslim.

Redding, who until recently was director of faith formation at St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral, has been a priest for more than 20 years. Now she's ready to tell people that, for the last 15 months, she's also been a Muslim — drawn to the faith after an introduction to Islamic prayers left her profoundly moved.

Her announcement has provoked surprise and bewilderment in many, raising an obvious question: How can someone be both a Christian and a Muslim..?

She says she felt an inexplicable call to become Muslim, and to surrender to God — the meaning of the word "Islam."

"It wasn't about intellect," she said. "All I know is the calling of my heart to Islam was very much something about my identity and who I am supposed to be.

"I could not not be a Muslim..."

Redding's bishop, the Rt. Rev. Vincent Warner, says he accepts Redding as an Episcopal priest and a Muslim, and that he finds the interfaith possibilities exciting.

With the benefit of hindsight, it should have been obvious that the first female imam would be an Episcopalian...

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=M...Tg4NjAwOGIyYWU=

"I am both Muslim and Christian"

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...redding17m.html

http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/001110.html

If there ever a time for the rest of orthodox Christianity to rise up and excommunicate an entire denomination, I think doing so to the Episcopal Church would be it. For the remnant of faithful believers still in there, other churches can absorb them or they could form their own new congregations under the Anglican banner or something. But the name "Episcopal" as it pertains to a denomination has been so sullied and tarnished it should just be retired and all the apostate bishops and priests have their ordinations revoked unless they repent.

And the Presbyterian Church USA should be put on notice as well.

Sorry if this offends any good Episcopalians here. It's not your fault. Your leadership has abdicated and abandoned any pretense of Biblical teaching that's anchored to anything remotely connected to 2000 years of Christian history.

If there ever a time for the rest of orthodox Christianity to rise up and excommunicate an entire denomination, I think doing so to the Episcopal Church would be it. For the remnant of faithful believers still in there, other churches can absorb them or they could form their own new congregations under the Anglican banner or something. But the name "Episcopal" as it pertains to a denomination has been so sullied and tarnished it should just be retired and all the apostate bishops and priests have their ordinations revoked unless they repent.

And the Presbyterian Church USA should be put on notice as well.

Sorry if this offends any good Episcopalians here. It's not your fault. Your leadership has abdicated and abandoned any pretense of Biblical teaching that's anchored to anything remotely connected to 2000 years of Christian history.

Faithful, devout Episcopalian here. I'm really stunned by this. There's a huge gulf between the fringe congregations of the northeast and west and those in the South that now make up the bulwark of the church's growth. The gay bishop debacle was bad enough to cause plenty of congregations to reform themself into Anglilcan congregations. But that is nothing compared to what this will do. How on earth the national body could allow this is utterly beyond me.

====

Actually, now that I read the Seattle Times article, she is NOT a bishop, but an ordained priest. She does not have a parish of her own and has only functioned as a Christian education minister at her church--a position she no longer holds for reasons not stated in the article. The mealy-mouthed bishop of Washington state aside, I'm fairly certain they strip of her of priesthood.

However, I sent a link of this to my priest basically asking him WTF? I'm pretty sure the entire Episcopal world outside the loony world of the northwest and northeast are doing the same thing.

Interesting update.

Evidently, in a rare display of backbone, the Episcopal church will soon be forcing the issue with this priest. Either she chooses one or the other. Because Chrisitianity centers around the belief in Christ's divinity, while Islam believes that Christ is a major prophet but not divine.

In short, the woman has adopted a position that is theologically unacceptable to both Christian and Muslim alike.

Just curious...how did your priest like being asked, "What the F***?"

Also, I don't think she should be given a priesthood even if she "chooses" christianity. How can someone, a priest nontheless, teach others about being a christian when apparently she doesn't understand the concept herself. I am not saying she can't be a christian, I am just questioning her capability of what a christian is. It can not go both ways and for her to even mention the words...I am both Muslim and Christian...is wrong on so many levels. If she does not understand the WHOLE FREAKING BASIS OF CHRISTIANITY, how can she possibly teach it to others?

Just curious...how did your priest like being asked, "What the F***?"

Also, I don't think she should be given a priesthood even if she "chooses" christianity. How can someone, a priest nontheless, teach others about being a christian when apparently she doesn't understand the concept herself. I am not saying she can't be a christian, I am just questioning her capability of what a christian is. It can not go both ways and for her to even mention the words...I am both Muslim and Christian...is wrong on so many levels. If she does not understand the WHOLE FREAKING BASIS OF CHRISTIANITY, how can she possibly teach it to others?

Oh, I used more moderate language than that. But my priest and I are good friends.

Since we say the Nicene Creed in every service, it's a pretty hard thing to miss. Either you believe it or you don't. And if you don't accept this central part of the Nicene Creed, then you have no business in the pulpit. Actually, given this woman's position at her last church, something tells me she wasn't ever in the pulpit at all.

In short, the woman has adopted a position that is theologically unacceptable to both Christian and Muslim alike.

Actually, the woman has adopted a position that is not just theologically unacceptable, but logically impossible.

Actually, the woman has adopted a position that is not just theologically unacceptable, but logically impossible.

Well, duh.

Well, duh.

LOL.

I was just pointing out how stupid it is. If she merely believed that Jesus wasn't divine, that's a theologically unacceptable position for a Christian. But to simultaneously posit that Jesus is divine and is not divine is moronic. Something can't be "A" and "Non-A" at the same time. You would think someone as educated as she is would get that simple logical concept.

However, I sent a link of this to my priest basically asking him WTF? I'm pretty sure the entire Episcopal world outside the loony world of the northwest and northeast are doing the same thing.

Dear Otter,

You ask me WTF in your e-mail and the article nearly made me spit out my Whiskey Sour (hey, it's afternoon somewhere, right?). I can't f&*%*&g believe this either. Just remember the Nicene Creed that we recite every Sunday and I will get back to you on this. I am getting the d&*$n Bishop on the phone as I type.

The Right Reverend

JUST KIDDING! I grew up Episcopalian so I feel I can :poke: . I will ask for forgiveness on Sunday.

Dear Otter,

You ask me WTF in your e-mail and the article nearly made me spit out my Whiskey Sour (hey, it's afternoon somewhere, right?). I can't f&*%*&g believe this either. Just remember the Nicene Creed that we recite every Sunday and I will get back to you on this. I am getting the d&*$n Bishop on the phone as I type.

The Right Reverend

JUST KIDDING! I grew up Episcopalian so I feel I can :poke: . I will ask for forgiveness on Sunday.

LOL...You're closer to the truth than you realize. While devout, we enjoy a good shot of things besides sacramental wine at the church fundraisers. It's a heck of a lot more fun than those awful pot luck suppers in the Methodist church growing up.

Yeah, Methodists don't know potlucks. You learn how to do that right at the Baptist church.

Yep. Now if you guys could get weddings right, you'd be doing great. Those green ice-cream punch receptions down in the Fellowship Hall after the ceremony are a real drag.

Wait a minute, I am a Methodist now by marriage for the past 12 years and our pot luck suppers are gr... OK your right about that one. Probably depends on the church and congregation though. But I am sick of the standard "green bean casserole", "spaghetti bake in a tin foil pan", "fruit filled jello", etc. And Chips Ahoy, come on give it some more effort in the name of the Lord!... they just aren't any good if your older than 12 (or after experiencing my wifes great baking skills)!

Wait a minute, I am a Methodist now by marriage for the past 12 years and our pot luck suppers are gr... OK your right about that one. Probably depends on the church and congregation though. But I am sick of the standard "green bean casserole", "spaghetti bake in a tin foil pan", "fruit filled jello", etc. And Chips Ahoy, come on give it some more effort in the name of the Lord!... they just aren't any good if your older than 12 (or after experiencing my wifes great baking skills)!

Yep. The eats are better at Episcopal pot lucks, and there's wine to boot.

Raised in an Episcopalian church. Chose the Methodist church when I was about 14.

We have some good eating at our little country church. Just yesterday there was BBQ, chicken casserole, roast, potatoes, carrots, asparagus, six different kinds of mac and cheese, limas, green beans, turnips, corn, corn casserole, broccoli,deviled eggs, salads, cole slaw, ribs, fried chicken and a whole table full of dessert -- including two lemon meringue pies. Baptists can't do it any better than that.

Yeah, Methodists don't know potlucks. You learn how to do that right at the Baptist church.

Yep. Now if you guys could get weddings right, you'd be doing great. Those green ice-cream punch receptions down in the Fellowship Hall after the ceremony are a real drag.

Heh. No joke. But I'm not Baptist. I just know where the best cooks are.

Raised in an Episcopalian church. Chose the Methodist church when I was about 14.

We have some good eating at our little country church. Just yesterday there was BBQ, chicken casserole, roast, potatoes, carrots, asparagus, six different kinds of mac and cheese, limas, green beans, turnips, corn, corn casserole, broccoli,deviled eggs, salads, cole slaw, ribs, fried chicken and a whole table full of dessert -- including two lemon meringue pies. Baptists can't do it any better than that.

Meh. There's always an exception here or there.

Archived