Espouse either political party? Then you're an idiot.

otterinbham

She does what Bush refused to do, and still get's no credit from you hyper-partisans. B)

Hyper partisan? Hmmm....how did I begin this thread, you latte-drinking, NPR totebag carrying, McGovern-worshippin' Democratic homeboy? <_<

But you just couldn't finish strong...your inner Republican betrayed you. B)

She does what Bush refused to do, and still get's no credit from you hyper-partisans. B)

OK she plans to give the money back. :cheer::cheer:

Wolfson said the Clinton campaign was "unaware of Mr. Hsu's decade-plus old warrant," despite what he described as a thorough review of public records.

But she/they overlooked Mr. Hsu's decade-plus old warrant," :no::no::no:

I don't buy it and I doubt seriously if you do either but you would never admit it.

Wolfson said the Clinton campaign was "unaware of Mr. Hsu's decade-plus old warrant," despite what he described as a thorough review of public records.

I don't buy it and I doubt seriously if you do either but you would never admit it.

This guy hasn't been in hiding. He was very public. It would appear that most people were not aware of it.

I don't know of ANY candidate that does criminal background checks on donors. Hell, your boys Bush and Rudi didn't even do background checks on their choice for Homeland Security director-- and Dubya has access to EVERYTHING.

This guy hasn't been in hiding. He was very public. It would appear that most people were not aware of it.

I don't know of ANY candidate that does criminal background checks on donors. Hell, your boys Bush and Rudi didn't even do background checks on their choice for Homeland Security director-- and Dubya has access to EVERYTHING.

So comparing her Bush is the best you can do? Go figure.

Didn't the Clinton's/Gore have another scandal with Chinese agents & money several years ago? This would appear to be just more of the same wouldn't it?

So comparing her Bush is the best you can do? Go figure.

Didn't the Clinton's/Gore have another scandal with Chinese agents & money several years ago? This would appear to be just more of the same wouldn't it?

Just pointing out the double standards some of you guys hold different folks to. B)

Don't know yet. This guy is from Hong Kong, though.

Hyper partisan? Hmmm....how did I begin this thread, you latte-drinking, NPR totebag carrying, McGovern-worshippin' Democratic homeboy? <_<

But you just couldn't finish strong...your inner Republican betrayed you. B)

You're right. Funny thing is, I was once a Democrat. Then I grew up.

Clinton to Return $850,000 Raised by Hsu

Sep 10, 10:28 PM (ET)

By LARA JAKES JORDAN

WASHINGTON (AP) - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential campaign said Monday it will return $850,000 in donations raised by Democratic fundraiser Norman Hsu, who is under federal investigation for allegedly violating election laws.

Clinton, D-N.Y., previously had planned only to give to charity $23,000 she received from Hsu for her presidential and senatorial campaigns and to her political action committee, HillPac.

The FBI is investigating whether Hsu paid so-called straw donors to send campaign contributions to Clinton and other candidates, a law enforcement official said Monday.

"In light of recent events and allegations that Mr. Norman Hsu engaged in an illegal investment scheme, we have decided out of an abundance of caution to return the money he raised for our campaign," Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson said in a statement Monday night. "An estimated 260 donors this week will receive refunds totaling approximately $850,000 from the campaign."

Wolfson said the Clinton campaign also will vigorously review its fundraisers, including thorough criminal background checks, in the future. "In any instances where a source of a bundler's income is in question, the campaign will take affirmative steps to verify its origin," he said.

The amount that the campaign identified as raised by Hsu would make him one of her top fundraisers. During the first six months of this year, her presidential campaign raised $52 million from individual contributors, second to Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., who raised $58.5 million.

While Clinton will return the money raised by Hsu, Wolfson said the individual contributors could make new donations.

"We will accept their contributions and ask them to confirm for our records that they are from their own personal funds," he said in an e-mail.

Since 2004, Hsu has donated $260,000 to Democratic Party groups and federal candidates, and raised hundreds of thousands of additional dollars. He was regarded as a top party fundraiser until recent reports surfaced that he was wanted on a warrant in California in connection with a 1991 grand theft charge.

Federal authorities are examining whether Hsu leaned on investors to contribute to political candidates after paying them big earnings from a shady business venture he was running, the law enforcement official said. Such a scam - using conduit contributors known as straw donors - is a violation of the Federal Election Campaign Act, which limits how much money individuals can give to candidates and political committees.

The FBI may be looking at other potential charges as well, according to the law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

In addition to the $260,000 he contributed to federal candidates, Hsu also contributed at least $330,000 to state Democratic candidates and state party committees and ballot initiatives during the 2004 and 2006 election cycles. Among the state officials who received money were New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer and New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo. Both have said they would divest their campaigns of the donations.

Additionally, last week Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell said he would donate nearly $40,000 in contributions, and Rep. Mark Udall, D-Colo., said he had donated a $1,000 contribution to a charity that helps soldiers.

The purpose of Hsu's business venture was unclear. The Los Angeles Times reported Monday that it was an investment pool that had recently drawn the suspicion of associates who questioned its legality.

An attorney for Hsu did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.

Hsu remained hospitalized in Grand Junction, Colo., where he has been since failing to show up for a California court hearing last week. It was unclear when he might be returned to California to face charges.

Hsu pleaded no contest in 1991 to accusations that he defrauded investors of $1 million. He was facing up to three years in prison when he skipped town before his sentencing in 1992. He finally surrendered to the arrest warrant Aug. 31, but disappeared before last week's hearing where he was expected to turn over his passport and ask a judge to cut his $2 million bail in half.

Since Thursday, Hsu has been at the Colorado hospital, when he was taken from an eastbound Amtrak train for treatment of an undisclosed ailment. He'd failed to show up for the hearing a day earlier. He is expected to be taken to the Mesa County Jail in Colorado to await extradition proceedings in state court once he is well enough to leave the hospital.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070911/D8RIVR8G0.html

The last time a Clinton said this, I dont recall even one dime of the dirty money being returned even 3-4 yeasrs later. SSDD. There is a huge chasm of truth between SAYING you wil do something, and actually DOING it.

The last time a Clinton said this, I dont recall even one dime of the dirty money being returned even 3-4 yeasrs later. SSDD. There is a huge chasm of truth between SAYING you wil do something, and actually DOING it.

Almost as fast as John Kerry releasing his complete military files. ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070913/ap_on_...TZO22Fa2P4JKekE

Just too predictable...

Clinton hints donors may give again

By JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press Writer

2 hours, 7 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, whose campaign is returning $850,000 in contributions linked to disgraced fundraiser Norman Hsu, indicated Wednesday that donors who contributed that money could donate to her presidential campaign once again.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We're not asking that that be done," she said in a teleconference with reporters. "But I believe that the vast majority of those 200-plus donors are perfectly capable of making up their own minds about what they will or won't do going forward."

Clinton's remarks were her first public comments on the affect Hsu's unraveling fortunes have had on her presidential campaign. Hsu was a leading money "bundler" for Clinton, earning the title of HillRaiser for his fundraising activities.

"It was very difficult for us to make any decision other than returning the contributions that were in any way connected to him and that is what we decided to do," she said.

Clinton's campaign said this week that any donors whose money was returned could donate once again if they confirm to the campaign that the contributions are from their own personal funds.

Hsu, unknown in political circles until about four years ago, was booked into the Mesa County jail in Colorado on Wednesday evening after leaving a hospital where he has been since failing to show up for a bail hearing last week in California. He had been wanted as a fugitive for missing his sentencing on a 1991 grand theft case to which he had pleaded no contest.

Hsu was booked on an outstanding warrant charge from California, sheriff's officials said. A hearing was scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

In the past two weeks, news reports raised questions about his fundraising practices and divulged his fugitive status. Law enforcement authorities said the FBI is now investigating whether Hsu paid donors to contribute to politicians. His lawyer has said Hsu did not break the law and that donors he solicited contributed their own money.

In New York City, prosecutors also are investigating whether Hsu stole millions of dollars from an investment fund. A spokeswoman for the Manhattan District Attorney said Wednesday that lawyers for the fund, Source Financing Investors, referred the matter to her office last week.

Clinton talked to reporters to promote a fundraiser later Wednesday at the home of Weldon Latham, national co-chairman for Clinton's campaign and a senior partner at Davis Wright & Tremaine. The fundraiser was designed to feature Clinton's support in minority communities, particularly among blacks.

"I have a long-standing set of relationships in the African-American community that are very important to me," she said. "I want to do everything I can as president to have an administration that reflects the great diversity of our country."

Clinton and her husband, former President Clinton, were expected to join 300 supporters at Latham's suburban Washington home. The event was expected to raise at least $500,000.

That fundraiser comes on the heels of a gala party thrown by Oprah Winfrey for Barack Obama that raised about $3 million.

Asked how Obama's presence in the race has affected fundraising, Latham, who is black, said, "My conversations are longer."

"African Americans are very proud of the fact that they have a legitimate candidate running for office who has a legitimate chance," he said. "But there is every indication to me that the person best qualified to represent our nation, our world and the African American community is Hillary Clinton."

Hsu had been scheduled to appear in court last week to turn over his passport and discuss reducing the $2 million bail he posted related to a 15-year-old arrest warrant. Instead, he left town and a judge issued a new arrest warrant for him.

According to court documents, a tipster on Sept. 6 told the FBI in San Francisco that Hsu was in the emergency room at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo.

He was arrested last Thursday at the hospital after he was taken from an eastbound Amtrak train for treatment of an undisclosed ailment.

A spokesman for Hsu said he had not spoken with him.

Hsu raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for Democratic candidates and groups until his 1992 theft conviction, for which he pleaded no contest, became known. Many of those candidates, including Clinton, have announced plans to return or donate to charity Hsu's election contributions.

Hsu had spent 15 years on the lam, until he surrendered to authorities in California on Aug. 31.

Prosecutors say Hsu bilked investors out of $1 million by telling them he had a contract to buy and sell latex gloves, but he never purchased the gloves and had no contract to sell them.

Hsu has said he believed he had resolved his legal issues, but that he would halt his work raising political money

Do you have ANY evidence that this money is dirty?

Just too predictable...

2 hours, 7 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, whose campaign is returning $850,000 in contributions linked to disgraced fundraiser Norman Hsu, indicated Wednesday that donors who contributed that money could donate to her presidential campaign once again.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We're not asking that that be done," she said in a teleconference with reporters. "But I believe that the vast majority of those 200-plus donors are perfectly capable of making up their own minds about what they will or won't do going forward."

Clinton's remarks were her first public comments on the affect Hsu's unraveling fortunes have had on her presidential campaign. Hsu was a leading money "bundler" for Clinton, earning the title of HillRaiser for his fundraising activities.

"It was very difficult for us to make any decision other than returning the contributions that were in any way connected to him and that is what we decided to do," she said.

Clinton's campaign said this week that any donors whose money was returned could donate once again if they confirm to the campaign that the contributions are from their own personal funds.

Hsu, unknown in political circles until about four years ago, was booked into the Mesa County jail in Colorado on Wednesday evening after leaving a hospital where he has been since failing to show up for a bail hearing last week in California. He had been wanted as a fugitive for missing his sentencing on a 1991 grand theft case to which he had pleaded no contest.

Hsu was booked on an outstanding warrant charge from California, sheriff's officials said. A hearing was scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

In the past two weeks, news reports raised questions about his fundraising practices and divulged his fugitive status. Law enforcement authorities said the FBI is now investigating whether Hsu paid donors to contribute to politicians. His lawyer has said Hsu did not break the law and that donors he solicited contributed their own money.

In New York City, prosecutors also are investigating whether Hsu stole millions of dollars from an investment fund. A spokeswoman for the Manhattan District Attorney said Wednesday that lawyers for the fund, Source Financing Investors, referred the matter to her office last week.

Clinton talked to reporters to promote a fundraiser later Wednesday at the home of Weldon Latham, national co-chairman for Clinton's campaign and a senior partner at Davis Wright & Tremaine. The fundraiser was designed to feature Clinton's support in minority communities, particularly among blacks.

"I have a long-standing set of relationships in the African-American community that are very important to me," she said. "I want to do everything I can as president to have an administration that reflects the great diversity of our country."

Clinton and her husband, former President Clinton, were expected to join 300 supporters at Latham's suburban Washington home. The event was expected to raise at least $500,000.

That fundraiser comes on the heels of a gala party thrown by Oprah Winfrey for Barack Obama that raised about $3 million.

Asked how Obama's presence in the race has affected fundraising, Latham, who is black, said, "My conversations are longer."

"African Americans are very proud of the fact that they have a legitimate candidate running for office who has a legitimate chance," he said. "But there is every indication to me that the person best qualified to represent our nation, our world and the African American community is Hillary Clinton."

Hsu had been scheduled to appear in court last week to turn over his passport and discuss reducing the $2 million bail he posted related to a 15-year-old arrest warrant. Instead, he left town and a judge issued a new arrest warrant for him.

According to court documents, a tipster on Sept. 6 told the FBI in San Francisco that Hsu was in the emergency room at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo.

He was arrested last Thursday at the hospital after he was taken from an eastbound Amtrak train for treatment of an undisclosed ailment.

Hsu raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for Democratic candidates and groups until his 1992 theft conviction, for which he pleaded no contest, became known. Many of those candidates, including Clinton, have announced plans to return or donate to charity Hsu's election contributions.

Hsu had spent 15 years on the lam, until he surrendered to authorities in California on Aug. 31.

Prosecutors say Hsu bilked investors out of $1 million by telling them he had a contract to buy and sell latex gloves, but he never purchased the gloves and had no contract to sell them.

Hsu has said he believed he had resolved his legal issues, but that he would halt his work raising political money

Yeah Hillary Clinton told me so.

Just too predictable...

2 hours, 7 minutes ago

ADVERTISEMENT

No evidence. Predictable... B)

Just too predictable...

2 hours, 7 minutes ago

ADVERTISEMENT

Who in their right mind gives back $850k if the money wasnt dirty?

You gonna tell me that the wannabe leader of the free world subscribes to "Post hoc ergo propter hoc?"

:lol:

Just too predictable...

2 hours, 7 minutes ago

ADVERTISEMENT

Someone who can and has raised millions anyway and doesn't need the association with someone dirty-- the press, and most people, don't take the time to distinguish facts. They hear headlines. Have you seen an article yet that has evidence this money is dirty? Hsu was a business man in the public view who defrauded folks 16 years ago and has avoided detection, and apparently further known criminality, ever since. The story is that he skipped out on a felony charge-- not that he necessarily violated any laws as a fundraiser-- maybe he did and maybe that will come out later-- if so, why take the chance? But right now, the known criminality is what he was charged with 16 years ago, not while bundling contributions.

You gonna tell me that the wannabe leader of the free world subscribes to "Post hoc ergo propter hoc?"

Just too predictable...

2 hours, 7 minutes ago

ADVERTISEMENT

1) No one knows if this money is clean at all.

2) No one knows anything other than this guy is a CONVICTED FELON AT EMBEZZLING and a fugitive from prison.

3) Where is the Ebbers, Lay, Scrushy, etc outrage? If this guy was a conservative the Moveon.org crowd would already have him lynched.

4) He will still likely NEVER serve a day in prison for all his misdeeds.

5) He is supposedly fleeing to Hong Kong, a province of China, now.

6) Why do the Clintons constantly draw all this money from the Chinese?

7) You do know money from foreign nationals, including James Ryhadi, is ILLEGAL right?

8) Why do they have to funnel money THRU these weasels anyway. Just go to the DNC website and donate. So simple, even a caveman liberal can do it.... B)

9)SSDD as far as I and reasonable Americans can see.

Someone who can and has raised millions anyway and doesn't need the association with someone dirty-- the press, and most people, don't take the time to distinguish facts. They hear headlines. Have you seen an article yet that has evidence this money is dirty? Hsu was a business man in the public view who defrauded folks 16 years ago and has avoided detection, and apparently further known criminality, ever since. The story is that he skipped out on a felony charge-- not that he necessarily violated any laws as a fundraiser-- maybe he did and maybe that will come out later-- if so, why take the chance? But right now, the known criminality is what he was charged with 16 years ago, not while bundling contributions.

Just too predictable...

2 hours, 7 minutes ago

ADVERTISEMENT

Like I said, predictably "evidence-free" regarding the actual money in question...which she is giving back and you are still faulting her for. Why don't you just admit that as far as your concerned, she's damned no matter what she does?

2) No one knows anything other than this guy is a CONVICTED FELON AT EMBEZZLING and a fugitive from prison.

3) Where is the Ebbers, Lay, Scrushy, etc outrage? If this guy was a conservative the Moveon.org crowd would already have him lynched.

7) You do know money from foreign nationals, including James Ryhadi, is ILLEGAL right?

8) Why do they have to funnel money THRU these weasels anyway. Just go to the DNC website and donate. So simple, even a caveman liberal can do it.... B)

Just too predictable...

2 hours, 7 minutes ago

ADVERTISEMENT

Tex, you are too bright for this stuff. She isnt giving it back. As far as we know, she may never ever give a dime of it back. She has only said she will. Saying and doing are two different things. Even if she does give it back, she is already telling the donors that she will gladly recycle the donations she already has in her bank account. So, in reality, net evidence, she really isnt doing anything other than pulling off a carefully planned ruse on the American voters to look like she is above all this when in fact she isnt.

Just like Bill Clinton, "an unusualy good liar, unusually good." Democratic Senator Joe Biden 1997

Like I said, predictably "evidence-free" regarding the actual money in question...which she is giving back and you are still faulting her for. Why don't you just admit that as far as your concerned, she's damned no matter what she does?

Just too predictable...

2 hours, 7 minutes ago

ADVERTISEMENT

Tex, you are too bright for this stuff. She isnt giving it back. As far as we know, she may never ever give a dime of it back. She has only said she will. Saying and doing are two different things. Even if she does give it back, she is already telling the donors that she will gladly recycle the donations she already has in her bank account. So, in reality, net evidence, she really isnt doing anything other than pulling off a carefully planned ruse on the American voters to look like she is above all this when in fact she isnt.

Just like Bill Clinton, "an unusualy good liar, unusually good." Democratic Senator Joe Biden 1997

I suspect-- and this is pure speculation-- that they will find that some, maybe alot, of the money was funneled through folks from Hsu. For otherwise valid contributions of up to $4600 each-- half for the primary, half for the general election-- however, that were "bundled" by Hsu, those people may want to contribute to her campaign. For folks who did, in fact, contribute to Hillary with their own money and want to support her candidacy, why wouldn't any candidate take that money directly from valid contributors?

More will come out on this guy and we'll know more then. I heard an interview today that said he was unusual in that he didn't seem to want anything in return, unlike most major "bundlers". He seemed to like feeling important.

BTW, I believe it was Bob Kerrey who said what you attributed to Biden above. The good news is, Kerrey may be in the Senate again, so maybe he'll say more things you like. :P

Archived