Espouse either political party? Then you're an idiot.

otterinbham

Look. I know that both parties once stood for something. But now, the only thing either party stands for is getting elected. Today, saying you prefer the Republicans over the Democrat is tantamount to saying you prefer the Crips over the Bloods (or vice versa).

Remember when, a year ago, everybody was fingerpointing at the Abramoff scandal? Well, looks like the Democrats have a problem of their own.

Yet, while both parties expend all their lungpower debating trivial hot-button issues, the real problems that will economically break this country go untended: Entitlements, immigration, healthcare, and energy, just to name a few. Neither party seems halfway interested in offering up a serious solution to any major problem this country faces.

So, what's your solution to the problem of the political parties in this country? How do we break the cycle of two gangs of political thugs, each of whom seems eager to throw the country under the bus to cater to its own very small group of clients?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8...;show_article=1

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (AP) - Disgraced Democratic fundraiser Norman Hsu was a wanted man again after he failed to show up for a court date Wednesday and a judge issued a new warrant for his arrest.

Hsu, whose criminal past has roiled the campaigns of top presidential candidates, was scheduled to ask a judge to cut in half the $2 million bail he posted last week when he turned himself in after spending 15 years on the lam from a felony theft conviction.

Instead, San Mateo Superior Court Judge Robert Foiles ordered Hsu's bail forfeited to the county and issued a new arrest warrant. If Hsu is arrested again, he will be jailed without bail this time.

Hsu, a Hong Kong native, was also supposed to turn over his passport Wednesday. Hsu's prominent Silicon Valley criminal defense attorney Jim Brosnahan said Hsu failed to give the passport to the legal team on Monday.

"Mr. Hsu is not here and we do not know where Mr. Hsu is," Brosnahan said outside court. Brosnahan said that "there was some contact" with Hsu a few hours before the scheduled 9 a.m. court appearance, but he declined to say how and who talked to Hsu.

Hsu pleaded no contest in 1991 to a felony count of grand theft, admitting he'd defrauded investors of $1 million after falsely claiming to have contracts to purchase and sell Latex gloves. He was facing up to three years in prison when he skipped town before his 1992 sentencing date.

Prosecutors said they suspected Hsu fled the country then. But a few years ago, Hsu re-emerged in New York as an apparel executive and a wealthy benefactor of Democratic causes and candidates. They included presidential contenders Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton, whose campaign designated Hsu a "HillRaiser"—a title given to top donors.

Brosnahan said he didn't know if Hsu returned to his Manhattan condominium or stayed in California after his five-hour jail stint Friday when Hsu turned himself in. He was released from jail after posting $2 million bail, which a judge refused then to reduce to $1 million.

Prosecutors with the California Attorney General's office had agreed to the bail reduction because it would be used to reimburse the victims Hsu admitted swindling out of $1 million in the early 1990s.

"We did think that was enough," Deputy Attorney General Ralph Sivilla said outside court. Sivilla also said he was troubled that Hsu didn't turn in his passport.

Federal Election Commission records show Hsu donated $260,000 to Democratic Party groups and federal candidates since 2004. Though a top fundraiser for Clinton, he also donated to Obama's Senate campaign in 2004 and to his political action committee. He also contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars to state and municipal candidates.

After reports surfaced of his fugitive status, politicians at all levels scrambled to distance themselves. On Wednesday, Rhode Island Rep. Patrick Kennedy, who initially said he would keep the $6,200 from Hsu, announced that he would give the money to charity.

Kennedy had originally counted $6,600 in donations, but a review of federal campaign records showed it was actually $6,200.

Obama's campaign said it would give to charity the $2,000 Hsu contributed to his 2004 Senate campaign and the $5,000 Hsu gave to his political action committee, Hopefund.

Hsu's $43,700 in donations to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and $2,500 to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee also will go to charity, both groups said.

Clinton joined the other candidates, returning $23,000 in contributions that Hsu made to her presidential and senatorial campaigns and to her political action committee, HillPac. But his close association with her campaign put Clinton on the defensive.

Last week, Hsu said he thought the criminal charges had been taken care of when he completed his bankruptcy proceedings in the early 1990s.

"I have not sought to evade any of my obligations and certainly not the law," Hsu said in a prepared statement.

Democrats raise more illegal money than Republicans

Hsu vs. Abramoff

With the Norman Hsu fundraising scandal hitting $1.6 million and counting, I thought it was about time to size this ignominy up against that gold standard of modern political corruption, the Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal.

While it was largely hailed in the media as a Republican issue, it's a seldom reported fact that more than 30% of the Abramoff-linked monies actually went to Democrats. By comparison, less than 1/10th of one percent of the circumspect Hsu fundraising went to Republicans.

The million-and-a-half-plus in cold, hard cash that Hsu and his cohorts have poured into Democrat coffers compares to roughly $2.6 million in entertainment and gifts that Abramoff steered to Republicans.

hsu_abramoff.jpg

hsu_abramoff_table_2.jpg

For those keeping score at home, Abramoff was sentenced to nearly 6 years in prison for his fraud and corruption convictions. Hsu already faces 3 years behind bars on a previous investor swindling conviction, from which he's been a fugitive since the early 1990s, while the FEC and the DOJ have recently launched probes to investigate Hsu's suspicious fundraising activities.

Will we hear the outrage from the NYT? Wasn't McCain-Feingold supposed to stop this???

Look. I know that both parties once stood for something. But now, the only thing either party stands for is getting elected. Today, saying you prefer the Republicans over the Democrat is tantamount to saying you prefer the Crips over the Bloods (or vice versa).

Remember when, a year ago, everybody was fingerpointing at the Abramoff scandal? Well, looks like the Democrats have a problem of their own.

Yet, while both parties expend all their lungpower debating trivial hot-button issues, the real problems that will economically break this country go untended: Entitlements, immigration, healthcare, and energy, just to name a few. Neither party seems halfway interested in offering up a serious solution to any major problem this country faces.

So, what's your solution to the problem of the political parties in this country? How do we break the cycle of two gangs of political thugs, each of whom seems eager to throw the country under the bus to cater to its own very small group of clients?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8...;show_article=1

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (AP) - Disgraced Democratic fundraiser Norman Hsu was a wanted man again after he failed to show up for a court date Wednesday and a judge issued a new warrant for his arrest.

Hsu, whose criminal past has roiled the campaigns of top presidential candidates, was scheduled to ask a judge to cut in half the $2 million bail he posted last week when he turned himself in after spending 15 years on the lam from a felony theft conviction.

Instead, San Mateo Superior Court Judge Robert Foiles ordered Hsu's bail forfeited to the county and issued a new arrest warrant. If Hsu is arrested again, he will be jailed without bail this time.

Hsu, a Hong Kong native, was also supposed to turn over his passport Wednesday. Hsu's prominent Silicon Valley criminal defense attorney Jim Brosnahan said Hsu failed to give the passport to the legal team on Monday.

"Mr. Hsu is not here and we do not know where Mr. Hsu is," Brosnahan said outside court. Brosnahan said that "there was some contact" with Hsu a few hours before the scheduled 9 a.m. court appearance, but he declined to say how and who talked to Hsu.

Hsu pleaded no contest in 1991 to a felony count of grand theft, admitting he'd defrauded investors of $1 million after falsely claiming to have contracts to purchase and sell Latex gloves. He was facing up to three years in prison when he skipped town before his 1992 sentencing date.

Prosecutors said they suspected Hsu fled the country then. But a few years ago, Hsu re-emerged in New York as an apparel executive and a wealthy benefactor of Democratic causes and candidates. They included presidential contenders Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton, whose campaign designated Hsu a "HillRaiser"—a title given to top donors.

Brosnahan said he didn't know if Hsu returned to his Manhattan condominium or stayed in California after his five-hour jail stint Friday when Hsu turned himself in. He was released from jail after posting $2 million bail, which a judge refused then to reduce to $1 million.

Prosecutors with the California Attorney General's office had agreed to the bail reduction because it would be used to reimburse the victims Hsu admitted swindling out of $1 million in the early 1990s.

"We did think that was enough," Deputy Attorney General Ralph Sivilla said outside court. Sivilla also said he was troubled that Hsu didn't turn in his passport.

Federal Election Commission records show Hsu donated $260,000 to Democratic Party groups and federal candidates since 2004. Though a top fundraiser for Clinton, he also donated to Obama's Senate campaign in 2004 and to his political action committee. He also contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars to state and municipal candidates.

After reports surfaced of his fugitive status, politicians at all levels scrambled to distance themselves. On Wednesday, Rhode Island Rep. Patrick Kennedy, who initially said he would keep the $6,200 from Hsu, announced that he would give the money to charity.

Kennedy had originally counted $6,600 in donations, but a review of federal campaign records showed it was actually $6,200.

Obama's campaign said it would give to charity the $2,000 Hsu contributed to his 2004 Senate campaign and the $5,000 Hsu gave to his political action committee, Hopefund.

Hsu's $43,700 in donations to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and $2,500 to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee also will go to charity, both groups said.

Clinton joined the other candidates, returning $23,000 in contributions that Hsu made to her presidential and senatorial campaigns and to her political action committee, HillPac. But his close association with her campaign put Clinton on the defensive.

Last week, Hsu said he thought the criminal charges had been taken care of when he completed his bankruptcy proceedings in the early 1990s.

"I have not sought to evade any of my obligations and certainly not the law," Hsu said in a prepared statement.

The scandal over disgraced Democratic fundraiser Norman Hsu was overshadowed by something of much greater importance.

meanwhile.jpg

You really don't understand, do you?

I understand completely. I am waiting for the outrage from the main stream media.

You really don't understand, do you?

I understand completely. I am waiting for the outrage from the main stream media.

Don't.

Still sucked into the old Republican vs. Democrat debate, I see.

Really, the true political parties in this country are Big Government vs. Small Government. Basically both campaign finance scandals are at the feet of the Big Government Party.

Really, the true political parties in this country are Big Government vs. Small Government. Basically both campaign finance scandals are at the feet of the Big Government Party.

Very good take.

Does this mean you and I are now Libertarians? :lol:

Very good take.

I always have been. I don't trust either, and I cannot fathom people who do.

Ideally, my political party should champion the following:

1) Free trade

2) Low taxes, as well as wholesale simplification of the tax code

3) Limited government, including entitlement programs (This includes industry and farming)

4) Stringent environmental protection

5) Very limited sayso in the lives of ordinary citizens. This includes the government's increasing inroads into people's civil and property rights. People should have the right to make good and bad choices in their lives.

6) Strong national defense with tight border controls.

7) Strict and vigorous regulatory enforcement for product safety, commercial transparency, and occupational safety

8) Select strategic priorities of the United States, including lowered dependence on foreign energy

9) Wholesale overhauling of the education system, allowing greater fastracking for exceptional children, and expanded vocational training tracks for kids who are not college-bound

10) Death Penalty for retailers who erect Christmas Decorations prior to November 1st.

Very good take.

1) Free trade

3) Limited government, including entitlement programs (This includes industry and farming)

5) Very limited sayso in the lives of ordinary citizens. This includes the government's increasing inroads into people's civil and property rights. People should have the right to make good and bad choices in their lives.

7) Strict and vigorous regulatory enforcement for product safety, commercial transparency, and occupational safety

8) Select strategic priorities of the United States, including lowered dependence on foreign energy

9) Wholesale overhauling of the education system, allowing greater fastracking for exceptional children, and expanded vocational training tracks for kids who are not college-bound

10) Death Penalty for retailers who erect Christmas Decorations prior to November 1st.

You sound Republican to me. Libitarians usually join to get elected.

What is your stand on some of the more extreme libertarian views, such as legalizing dibilitating drugs?

Very good take.

1) Free trade

You sound Republican to me. Libitarians usually join to get elected.

What is your stand on some of the more extreme libertarian views, such as legalizing dibilitating drugs?

Actually, Republicans seems to stand for pandering to other clientele. After all, explain to me why Chevron and Exxon deserve special tax breaks? Bush was about to give amnesty to illegal aliens before the country practically revolted last summer. The Republicans simply don't get energy independence, and they certainly have done absolutely nothing to settle the impending entitlement crisis in this country. In fact, the Prescription Drug Act added new fuel to the fire.

As for drug decriminalization, I'm all for it--and I'm somebody who simply has never had any desire to do drugs. Simply stated, the Federal Government is on shaky ground banning it in the first place.

Second, legalization actually provides better channels to control distribution than the current black market.

Third, the futile war on drugs actually takes precious resources against more pressing issues such as border control and the smoking out of terrorist cells.

Fourth, the war on narcotics has led to the wholesale erosion of civil rights in this country. You need look no further than the mid-80s legislation that allowed police to confiscate private property implicated in a drug arrest, regardless of the subsequent guilt or innocence of the accused.

Fifth, as long as innocent lives are not directly affected (Just like today's statutes against drunk driving), it's simply not the government's business.

Sixth, the illegality of narcotics in this country has created far worse problems than the narcotics themselves, including rampant inner city crime and swelling prison rolls.

But, hey, don't take my word against it. Look at this organization of law enforcement officials who are staunchly against the insane drug laws in this country: http://www.leap.cc/cms/index.php

Both have their problems.

Yet, I don't think there's any problem with people like us "joining" parties. Without us, we're essentially accepting the widespread mold-like degradation of the two major political parties. And, here's a news flash, the two party system ain't goin' away.

If you truly cannot stomach the Democratic or Republican parties and their candidates, then it's more than okay to abstain. Yet, most home-spun Dems and Repubs are good people -- people who disapprove of the constant BS that their party "leaders" pull on an almost daily basis.

I don't think that the Republican party should belong to Jack Abramoff or the Democratic party to Norman Hsu. Both should belong to the people that they are designed to mobilize and in turn, benefit.

They need a good, thorough cleansing, not a nuke.

One can find plenty of fault with both parties, including overlapping problems of corruption, etc.

However, it still remains to be seen just how comparable Hsu is to Abramoff. Abarmoff was a highly visible major player in his party. Abramoff didn't go down by himself-- he took many with him, and it isn't yet over. The problem was not just "dirty" money, but quid pro quo exchanges and otherwise demonstrated illegal influence. Was Hsu just a dirty guy giving dirty money and seeking influence, or were laws broken? I haven't heard any allegations of illegality yet by recipient of donations from him. Maybe there will be, but at this point, the comparisons are limited.

One can find plenty of fault with both parties, including overlapping problems of corruption, etc.

However, it still remains to be seen just how comparable Hsu is to Abramoff. Abarmoff was a highly visible major player in his party. Abramoff didn't go down by himself-- he took many with him, and it isn't yet over. The problem was not just "dirty" money, but quid pro quo exchanges and otherwise demonstrated illegal influence. Was Hsu just a dirty guy giving dirty money and seeking influence, or were laws broken? I haven't heard any allegations of illegality yet by recipient of donations from him. Maybe there will be, but at this point, the comparisons are limited.

Oh, don't be a Democratic homie... B)

Just admit it. He's sleazy. The money is tainted. And so are the recipients. Dirty money is flowing into the coffers of both parties.

Just admit it. He's sleazy. The money is tainted. And so are the recipients. Dirty money is flowing into the coffers of both parties.

He's sleazy, the money is tainted. Dirty money is flowing freely. But overly simplistic comparisons, while tempting, are misleading and unfair. In fact, the comparison you made is also being made by very partisan Republicans as a deflection. So don't be a Republican homie. B)

Abramoff is in prison. Hsu was allowed to run to China. I wonder who set that one up.

Abramoff is in prison. Hsu was allowed to run to China. I wonder who set that one up.

His travel agent?

He's sleazy, the money is tainted. Dirty money is flowing freely. But overly simplistic comparisons, while tempting, are misleading and unfair. In fact, the comparison you made is also being made by very partisan Republicans as a deflection. So don't be a Republican homie. B)

Me? A Republican homie? I don't care for the sleazy bastards. Or the sheep that seem to follow them blindly.

Me? A Republican homie? I don't care for the sleazy bastards. Or the sheep that seem to follow them blindly.

I'll back him on that one. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :)

Clinton to Return $850,000 Raised by Hsu

Sep 10, 10:28 PM (ET)

By LARA JAKES JORDAN

WASHINGTON (AP) - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential campaign said Monday it will return $850,000 in donations raised by Democratic fundraiser Norman Hsu, who is under federal investigation for allegedly violating election laws.

Clinton, D-N.Y., previously had planned only to give to charity $23,000 she received from Hsu for her presidential and senatorial campaigns and to her political action committee, HillPac.

The FBI is investigating whether Hsu paid so-called straw donors to send campaign contributions to Clinton and other candidates, a law enforcement official said Monday.

"In light of recent events and allegations that Mr. Norman Hsu engaged in an illegal investment scheme, we have decided out of an abundance of caution to return the money he raised for our campaign," Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson said in a statement Monday night. "An estimated 260 donors this week will receive refunds totaling approximately $850,000 from the campaign."

Wolfson said the Clinton campaign also will vigorously review its fundraisers, including thorough criminal background checks, in the future. "In any instances where a source of a bundler's income is in question, the campaign will take affirmative steps to verify its origin," he said.

The amount that the campaign identified as raised by Hsu would make him one of her top fundraisers. During the first six months of this year, her presidential campaign raised $52 million from individual contributors, second to Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., who raised $58.5 million.

While Clinton will return the money raised by Hsu, Wolfson said the individual contributors could make new donations.

"We will accept their contributions and ask them to confirm for our records that they are from their own personal funds," he said in an e-mail.

Since 2004, Hsu has donated $260,000 to Democratic Party groups and federal candidates, and raised hundreds of thousands of additional dollars. He was regarded as a top party fundraiser until recent reports surfaced that he was wanted on a warrant in California in connection with a 1991 grand theft charge.

Federal authorities are examining whether Hsu leaned on investors to contribute to political candidates after paying them big earnings from a shady business venture he was running, the law enforcement official said. Such a scam - using conduit contributors known as straw donors - is a violation of the Federal Election Campaign Act, which limits how much money individuals can give to candidates and political committees.

The FBI may be looking at other potential charges as well, according to the law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

In addition to the $260,000 he contributed to federal candidates, Hsu also contributed at least $330,000 to state Democratic candidates and state party committees and ballot initiatives during the 2004 and 2006 election cycles. Among the state officials who received money were New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer and New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo. Both have said they would divest their campaigns of the donations.

Additionally, last week Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell said he would donate nearly $40,000 in contributions, and Rep. Mark Udall, D-Colo., said he had donated a $1,000 contribution to a charity that helps soldiers.

The purpose of Hsu's business venture was unclear. The Los Angeles Times reported Monday that it was an investment pool that had recently drawn the suspicion of associates who questioned its legality.

An attorney for Hsu did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.

Hsu remained hospitalized in Grand Junction, Colo., where he has been since failing to show up for a California court hearing last week. It was unclear when he might be returned to California to face charges.

Hsu pleaded no contest in 1991 to accusations that he defrauded investors of $1 million. He was facing up to three years in prison when he skipped town before his sentencing in 1992. He finally surrendered to the arrest warrant Aug. 31, but disappeared before last week's hearing where he was expected to turn over his passport and ask a judge to cut his $2 million bail in half.

Wolfson said the Clinton campaign was "unaware of Mr. Hsu's decade-plus old warrant," despite what he described as a thorough review of public records.

Since Thursday, Hsu has been at the Colorado hospital, when he was taken from an eastbound Amtrak train for treatment of an undisclosed ailment. He'd failed to show up for the hearing a day earlier. He is expected to be taken to the Mesa County Jail in Colorado to await extradition proceedings in state court once he is well enough to leave the hospital.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070911/D8RIVR8G0.html

Wolfson said the Clinton campaign was "unaware of Mr. Hsu's decade-plus old warrant," despite what he described as a thorough review of public records.

<_<;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

She does what Bush refused to do, and still get's no credit from you hyper-partisans. B)

Hyper partisan? Hmmm....how did I begin this thread, you latte-drinking, NPR totebag carrying, McGovern-worshippin' Democratic homeboy? <_<

Archived