Josh Moon's latest

AU alum

http://montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs....S/70923002/1055

September 23, 2007

COMMENTARY: Tide's OT loss serves as reality check

By Josh Moon

jmoon@gannett.com

TUSCALOOSA — Somewhere, Mike Shula is smiling. He’s sitting in front of his TV, a stack of direct-deposit slips all around him, with a big, fat, I-just-ate-the-last-Little Debbie cake smile on his face.

Because if Georgia’s 26-23 win over Alabama on Saturday proved one thing, it’s this: Close games in the SEC are tough to win. Doesn’t matter if you’re Mike Shula or Nick Saban.

You can pay a guy $4 million. He can come in and clean things up. He can put good position coaches on the field. He can make the players stop doing dumb things on the field. But he can’t make an entire team more talented or an opponent less talented simply by showing up.

Has Saban made the Crimson Tide better? Certainly.

Is this team more competitive? You bet.

Can the Tide win a title this season? Only the state title.

This is the SEC. It’s not won by mediocre teams. And let’s face it, Alabama is a mediocre team.

The Tide won a close one a week ago and lost a close one this week. Both games were against solid opponents. But the best of the conference is yet to come. Florida and LSU not only could beat any opponent on any day, they could beat any opponent by three touchdowns on any given day.

But check out the bright side of things. If someone had told Alabama fans prior to the year that the team would go 3-1 to start the season, with the lone loss coming in overtime, there isn’t a soul who wouldn’t have accepted that.

What Saban and his staff have done here in a short time is phenomenal. But coaching is only going to go so far right now. The talent isn’t there to do more.

So, maybe the smile on Shula’s face shouldn’t be too big. After all, he’s more at fault for Saturday’s loss than Saban. Shula’s the guy who had his butt handed to him in recruiting every year.

But there’s plenty of blame to go around here. And Shula shouldn’t get it all. The powers at UA deserve to shoulder some of this as well. They allowed a crooked bunch of boosters to run off talented coaches and bring the program to within a hair of complete annihilation. The constant turmoil and lackluster records did plenty to turn away recruits, as well. So, things weren’t all rosy and sweet when Shula showed up. He just didn’t make things much better. And was paid handsomely to do so. Is still being paid handsomely, as a matter of fact.

But listen to me, there is no sense in acting as if this UA program is in the tank here. It’s not. Not even close. This Tide is playing decent ball. There are mistakes here or there and the lack of depth shows up late in games, but there’s a difference in this team this season. It’s hard to put your finger on it, but it’s almost like, as corny as it sounds, they believe in themselves a little more.

I know that’s a hokey answer, but it’s all I’ve got. I mean, this is the same group as last year. The same bunch that fell apart in a home loss to Mississippi State has mounted successful back-to-back, last-minute drives against solid SEC competition. Give me a better explanation for that and I’ll gladly use it.

I think that’ll be the identity of the Tide this year. This group is going to play opponents close. I doubt very seriously if there will be a game this year — even the LSU game — in which it doesn’t have a shot in the fourth quarter.

How many of those will it win? Tough to tell.

But you’ve got to figure that the Tide will be favored in its next three, maybe four. You telling me you wouldn’t have taken 7-1 at the start of the year?

So the championships will have to wait a couple of years. Big deal.

Take comfort in this: In a season or two, the Tide will be competing for the SEC title. And the checks with a UA logo will stop rolling in at the Shula house.

Josh Moon is a sportswriter for the Montgomery Advertiser. He can be reached at jmoon@gannett.com.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we lost to a decent UGA team in OT, it's not like we lost to some Big East school that just started playing ball a few years ago, if being 3-1 (2-1) makes a team mediocre than what does that say about Auburn?

we lost to a decent UGA team in OT, it's not like we lost to some Big East school that just started playing ball a few years ago, if being 3-1 (2-1) makes a team mediocre than what does that say about Auburn?

Check out the rankings and compare where that Big East school is ranked this week compared to 'Bama...

Check out the rankings and compare where that Big East school is ranked this week compared to 'Bama...

USF is only ranked that high because they haven't played anybody yet.

that Auburn has beaten a uat team 5 years in a row

USF is only ranked that high because they haven't played anybody yet.

You said that with such a straight face; knowing they are only ranked that high because they beat Auburn at Auburn...

You said that with such a straight face; knowing they are only ranked that high because they beat Auburn at Auburn...

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just saying, considering how AU played their first 3 games, beating AU wasn't something worthy of a Top 25 ranking. And even AU fans would have told you that AU was playing quite poorly in the first 3 weeks (as evidenced by a loss to MSU). USF didn't even play a good game when they beat AU.

To compare USF's ranking to Alabama's is a joke. Bama has played far superior opposition. And has beaten better teams. And played better in their loss against UGA than USF did in their win against AU.

why would that article make us scream? it says a few things that most of us already knew

-we're young

-we don't have much depth

-the attitude is much better

-we're able to hang with the big boys instead of getting stomped by halftime

-we're not world beaters, but we're not horrible

why would that article make us scream? it says a few things that most of us already knew

-we're young

How is that any different than 04, 05, or 06?

-we're young

I all honesty we are the same except one thing.....Saban and not Shula.

I never thought I'd say this...

Great article, Josh! He raised some great points.

He hit it out of the park if you can overlook the "boosters ran off good coaches" myth. What coaches did we run off, exactly? Curry? Is he really saying that the Curry situation has been Alabama's downfall over the past, oh, decade and a half? Laughable.

-we're young

Ha. It's no different. It's the same as it has been for the last 5 years. Just keep thinking that.

-we're young

Ha. It's no different. It's the same as it has been for the last 5 years. Just keep thinking that.

There is a noticable difference in the team. For instance, I don't think Shula could have brought you back after down 21 in the first 5 minutes. The team is obviously more confident. My point was, aside from the attitude (and off the field that doesn't fly) these were valid points under Shula as well. Nothing Saban has done has addressed these. Young and depth are perennial excuses. Alabama has always hung with the big boys, they just haven't won. There weren't many shamings under Shula, save MSU :beat up: . They were never as horrible as I'd like them to have been, they just weren't worldbeaters, like he said. All Saban has done so far is sell a bunch of merchandise, pulled some PR stunts (albeit probably unknowingly), and given the team a little renewed energy. Other than that, there's no difference right now, on the field between Saban and Shula.

-we're young

Other than that, there's no difference right now, on the field between Saban and Shula.

Untrue.

3-1 and ranked beats 2-2 -- with the latter being what it would certainly be under Shula.

8-0 beats 3-1. Again, its nothing Shula hasn't done.

You can't say for sure Shula would have lost to UA. They seemed like 2 fairly evenly matched teams. One's offensive strength was the other's defensive weakness. Shula didn't get blown out in the first quarter like that but once, I wouldn't go so far as to say he would have the other night, either. Half of Alabama's offense is JPW chucking the ball into the general vicinity of DJ Hall. Are you saying Shula couldn't have done that?

Half of Alabama's offense is JPW chucking the ball into the general vicinity of DJ Hall. Are you saying Shula couldn't have done that?

I thought I was the only one who noticed that since it is never mentioned. I am amazed at how many times they run that "play". Peter Parker just lobs it down the field up for graps and Hall comes back for the ball. Is it drawn up that way in the play book?

I thought I was the only one who noticed that since it is never mentioned. I am amazed at how many times they run that "play". Peter Parker just lobs it down the field up for graps and Hall comes back for the ball. Is it drawn up that way in the play book?

Probably, and hopefully we have it too if our receivers can step up and show the ability Hall has. GT had it with Johnson, OSU had it last year, USC always has it, LSU has had it the last two years (with every freakin receiver it seems like), UA had it occasionally with Monk (only against certain teams though).

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just saying, considering how AU played their first 3 games, beating AU wasn't something worthy of a Top 25 ranking. And even AU fans would have told you that AU was playing quite poorly in the first 3 weeks (as evidenced by a loss to MSU). USF didn't even play a good game when they beat AU.

To compare USF's ranking to Alabama's is a joke. Bama has played far superior opposition. And has beaten better teams. And played better in their loss against UGA than USF did in their win against AU.

I'm sure if the roles were flipped and USF went into BD and beat Alabama they would be ranked no matter how poor or well Alabama played/is playing. Beating a ranked Auburn team in Auburn is nothing to sneeze at, even if they played poorly in that game and in the next. I agree that Alabama has beaten better teams than what USF has, but to say Auburn is a nobody is just laughable.

Guest BoStillKnows

Western Carolina, Vandy, and a gift from Nutt...you're funny... :roflol:

Half of Alabama's offense is JPW chucking the ball into the general vicinity of DJ Hall. Are you saying Shula couldn't have done that?

Didn't run that play against UGA. Ran it over and over against Arky because their DBs are pitiful.

Didn't run that play against UGA. Ran it over and over against Arky because their DBs are pitiful.

They are terrible, you would think that Nutt would get Herring to adjust and run some zones but then that would call for Nutt to understand the concept of coaching.

Western Carolina, Vandy, and a gift from Nutt...you're funny... :roflol:

WCU vs NMSU = push

Vandy > MSU

Arky > K State

UGA > USF

Archived