Did Saban Mess Up?

CircleDrill

Did Saban shoot himself in the foot when he beat Arkansas?

I think so. It took him the entire off-season to get some semblance of reality among the Alabama fan base that "this is a process." IOW, lowering their expectations to only "astronomically high" down from "ridiculously impossibly high."

He tells them that all through the off season, then what does he do? Goes 3-0 with a big win over Arkansas, and out come the car flags across the state and "Bama is Back" b.s. yet again. Then here we go with ******** talking about 10-win seasons, and all this other stuff. Then the "great win for the State of Alabama" b.s. and all the talk of Auburn fans being 2nd-tier, etc. etc.

Now that Alabama fans are faced with the reality that they are still a 7-5, 8-4 team, and Auburn is looking like they've turned the season around and showing the team everybody thought they would have.....

Are the Alabama expectations too high for even Saban?

What if he loses the Iron Bowl? What if he loses is BAD?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everybody's expectation meters ( :au: & :ua: ) have been set to ludicrous speed this season. Bama's because of Saban, ours because...well, because of Saban, really. I'm waiting for *you-know-who's* "Tuberville feels no pressure at all" column this week, which if it comes will contradict 2 or 3 columns he's written in just the past couple of months.

(Did not realize his name had been censored around here. It's gotten that bad, huh?)

Well, AU having a 5 year head start on coaching, recruiting, etc...they SHOULD win the Iron Bowl.

The fact that we didn't "lose it bad" in the last 5 years...tells me that you may be reaching a little far to expect, or even ponder that possibility. (please spare me the "AU would have won by 134 if CTT wasn't such a nice dude").

Sure it's possible. But not anymore possible than AU losing by a large margin.

Did Saban shoot himself in the foot when he beat Arkansas?

No

I think so. It took him the entire off-season to get some semblance of reality among the Alabama fan base that "this is a process." IOW, lowering their expectations to only "astronomically high" down from "ridiculously impossibly high."

Some people are going to have impossibly high expectations either way. Process or not. That is a fact.

He tells them that all through the off season, then what does he do? Goes 3-0 with a big win over Arkansas, and out come the car flags across the state and "Bama is Back" b.s. yet again. Then here we go with ******** talking about 10-win seasons, and all this other stuff. Then the "great win for the State of Alabama" b.s. and all the talk of Auburn fans being 2nd-tier, etc. etc.

The only people flying the "Bama is back" BS are the same ones with impossibly high expectations. Unfortunately, they aren't going anywhere. They may go back into hiding but they will pop back out. I personally was hoping some of them would convert over to the AU side with the 5 game winning streak.

Now that Alabama fans are faced with the reality that they are still a 7-5, 8-4 team, and Auburn is looking like they've turned the season around and showing the team everybody thought they would have.....

Coming into the season MOST of the Bama people I associate with expected 7-5 through 9-3 season. 7-5 being the worst and 9-3 being the best. I've said 8-4 for a while now so I'm good with that.

Are the Alabama expectations too high for even Saban?
Saban himself said that his expectations are higher than anyone. I seriously doubt that he cares about anyone else's expectations.
What if he loses the Iron Bowl?

Coming into the season most expected Auburn to win the Iron Bowl. The only reason that people started thinking differently was because of the way you guys started off.

What if he loses is BAD?
When was the last time Bama lost BAD?? I guess it depends on how someone views the term BAD.
Auburn is looking like they've turned the season around and showing the team everybody thought they would have

Hmm. Where have I heard this before......

Well, AU having a 5 year head start on coaching, recruiting, etc...they SHOULD win the Iron Bowl.

The fact that we didn't "lose it bad" in the last 5 years...tells me that you may be reaching a little far to expect, or even ponder that possibility. (please spare me the "AU would have won by 134 if CTT wasn't such a nice dude").

Sure it's possible. But not anymore possible than AU losing by a large margin.

I'm not predicting anything. Just saying there are not nearly as many people calling him "Saint Saban" as there were a few weeks ago.

As that article said, the honeymoon seems to be over. I'm just wondering if the Arkansas win actually HURT Saban's case that building is a process.

Slightly off topic, but 2005 was pretty bad, despite the last second meaningless TD to pull within ten. Eleven sacks. At least as many hurries and hits just/right after throwing. We practically sat in your huddle with you all day. Only 188 yds of total offense on the day.

If that's not bad, bad is a meaningless term.

Slightly off topic, but 2005 was pretty bad, despite the last second meaningless TD to pull within ten. Eleven sacks. At least as many hurries and hits just/right after throwing. We practically sat in your huddle with you all day. Only 188 yds of total offense on the day.

That's what I was getting at with "I guess it depends on how someone views the term BAD." In '05 we were buried early. That game was a blow-out without a blow-out score. If that's what he means by bad, then I can see it. If bad equals a 28+ point thrashing, then I don't think it will happen.

You just can't stand it when someone doesn't want to concede that AU blows us out every year can you?

That game had the largest margin of the 5, and it was only 10 points. But I wouldn't consider it to be on the same plane as your last loss to Alabama.

Seeing as I have to go to or through Tuscaloosa a couple of times a week, I've got to admit that the back-to-back losses by Bama are welcome. Not because I wish Alabama any ill will or anything, but because that mothball smell that permeated the town was choking me and making my eyes water. Maybe some of that will diminish now.

You just can't stand it when someone doesn't want to concede that AU blows us out every year can you?

That game had the largest margin of the 5, and it was only 10 points. But I wouldn't consider it to be on the same plane as your last loss to Alabama.

Overreact much?

Who said anything about "every year?" The question was asked regarding when was the last time we beat you bad? 2005 was bad. And would have been worse if we had thrown more than about 6 passes the entire second half (the last one just 2-3 minutes into the 4th quarter). It doesn't really matter if all the rest of them were won by 1/2 a point apiece. Question was asked and answered.

I'm having trouble remembering the last loss to Alabama. We've had two senior classes leave without losing to you guys so you can understand. ;)

Only because Tuberville isn't an assclown. When does he ever blow anybody out? It's not because Auburn hasn't been able to do so, it's because his philosophy is to get a winnable lead and bank it. It's frustrating because it does make some games appear closer than they are and because it has the possibility to bite us in the ass -- last night for instance. We go up two TDs and go into conservative turtle mode until Florida finally ties it up.

If you think Auburn couldn't have put 40+ on Bama's ass in 2005 you're just being a bleeding heart homer. Auburn could have (and IMO should have) named the score. But go right ahead and console yourself any way you need to.

If you think Auburn couldn't have put 40+ on Bama's ass in 2005 you're just being a bleeding heart homer. Auburn could have (and IMO should have) named the score. But go right ahead and console yourself any way you need to.

Exactly!!! :thumbsup:

Wow, you guys are kind of missing the point of the original question. All I wanted to know is to date, has winning over Arkansas in such dramatic fashion boosted Alabama fan expectations back into the stratasphere, so that 8-4 now seems so disappointing.

Just a few weeks ago they were all satisfied that this was a re-building year. A big win over Arkansas and they abandoned that ship and started buying tickets to Atlanta.

I think Saban is really feeling the pressure right about now, and it's not going to get any easier anytime soon.

Given the way some Bama folks in these part are talking, they are still struggling with the expectations thing. The Arky game "showed them how talented this team really is" and now Applewhite and JPW are just fumbling it away with tentative play calling and lousy execution.

Laying the groundwork for excuses already?

Laying the groundwork for excuses already?

No they aren't excuses. I'm saying Auburn SHOULD have the better team this year. I'm giving AU credit really.

Given the way some Bama folks in these part are talking, they are still struggling with the expectations thing. The Arky game "showed them how talented this team really is" and now Applewhite and JPW are just fumbling it away with tentative play calling and lousy execution.

I think it's hard to deny that we have some really really good talent on offense. I think we should be executing better also. While I'm not ready to bench JPW, I do think he cost us the game saturday. If he plays saturday like he did against Arkansas, we win going away.

I think it's hard to deny that we have some really really good talent on offense. I think we should be executing better also. While I'm not ready to bench JPW, I do think he cost us the game saturday. If he plays saturday like he did against Arkansas, we win going away.

I watched the Bama game until the start of the Auburn game...and NOTHING I saw that could have been done by JPW could have had Alabama win going away...that's a ridiculous statement.

I watched the Bama game until the start of the Auburn game...and NOTHING I saw that could have been done by JPW could have had Alabama win going away...that's a ridiculous statement.

How is it a ridiculous statement? Our defense held them all day. The 2nd TD wouldn't have happened because it came directly from a 4 yard line fumble. And the 3rd wouldn't have happened because we wouldn't have been selling out for the run to get the ball back.

JPW plays well in that game and we win. End of story.

As far as the point of the thread goes, the expectations will change week to week. For all of us. If Florida should go down to BR and pull off a win, all of a sudden both Bama AND Auburn are thinking Atlanta again.

I think the Arky win took as much out of their team as it did to pump up the expectations of the fans. I imagine getting back up a week later to play UGA after that was tough. But then, that's the beauty of playing in the SEC.

If...if...if...

If wishes were horses, beggers would ride.

If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his #$%.

Archived