Did Saban Mess Up?

CircleDrill

If "ifs and buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the way some Bama folks in these part are talking, they are still struggling with the expectations thing. The Arky game "showed them how talented this team really is" and now Applewhite and JPW are just fumbling it away with tentative play calling and lousy execution.

Post of the Day for the reality check inside of it. That is exactly, precisely, succinctly how most of the Bama fans I know see tthe season. It is going down the drain and they are blaming specific players and coaches for it.

If he plays saturday like he did against Arkansas, we win going away.

:blink: I am freakin speechless... BG, FSU is a very talented team across the board that ghas a great D and a recovering O after hiring CJF. They have stunk it up for several years tho.

I read Sat. Night where several FSU folks and beat writers were calling that game, a win over a #22 ranked Bama team with a first year hc, as the biggest win 5-6 years for the Noles. They have some talent, but they are still not a great team as yet.

What if he loses the Iron Bowl? What if he loses is BAD?

Well, AU having a 5 year head start on coaching, recruiting, etc...they SHOULD win the Iron Bowl.

Laying the groundwork for excuses already?

No they aren't excuses. I'm saying Auburn SHOULD have the better team this year. I'm giving AU credit really.

So, top 15 recruiting classes = no talent?

Thanks for the clarification.

Not because I wish Alabama any ill will or anything...

Galen. Please.

You would like nothing better than the University of Alabama to suffer the same fate as ancient Carthage. Tear down the buildings, blow up the stadium, and sow the ground with salt so that no vegetation can grow there again.

Galen. Please.

You would like nothing better than the University of Alabama to suffer the same fate as ancient Carthage. Tear down the buildings, blow up the stadium, and sow the ground with salt so that no vegetation can grow there again.

I'm trying to be nice here. My hatred for Bama has nothing to do with the position I took.

I watched the Bama game until the start of the Auburn game...and NOTHING I saw that could have been done by JPW could have had Alabama win going away...that's a ridiculous statement.

How is it a ridiculous statement? Our defense held them all day. The 2nd TD wouldn't have happened because it came directly from a 4 yard line fumble. And the 3rd wouldn't have happened because we wouldn't have been selling out for the run to get the ball back.

JPW plays well in that game and we win. End of story.

I wish we lived in a world like that. Auburn would be 5-0.

You might infer that the 4 yard-line fumble gave them an easy TD. However, to say that FSU still doesn't put up 21 is more than a stretch. With that strong wind and your punter shanking every other punt, it's likely FSU still gets the ball inside your 50 yard line. It's then likely that the field position STAYS flipped until FSU can will the second TD into the endzone.

In that fantasy world of yours...MSU gets a pick-6 off of a tipped pass from our TE. Therefore, I get to subtract 7 points, Auburn wins. Bogus.

I watched the Bama game until the start of the Auburn game...and NOTHING I saw that could have been done by JPW could have had Alabama win going away...that's a ridiculous statement.

How is it a ridiculous statement? Our defense held them all day. The 2nd TD wouldn't have happened because it came directly from a 4 yard line fumble. And the 3rd wouldn't have happened because we wouldn't have been selling out for the run to get the ball back.

You might infer that the 4 yard-line fumble gave them an easy TD. However, to say that FSU still doesn't put up 21 is more than a stretch. With that strong wind and your punter shanking every other punt, it's likely FSU still gets the ball inside your 50 yard line. It's then likely that the field position STAYS flipped until FSU can will the second TD into the endzone.

In that fantasy world of yours...MSU gets a pick-6 off of a tipped pass from our TE. Therefore, I get to subtract 7 points, Auburn wins. Bogus.

Didn't Florida have a long pass down to the 3 or 4 yard line setting them up with 1st and goal, then end up with a FG instead of a TD?

Didn't Florida have a long pass down to the 3 or 4 yard line setting them up with 1st and goal, then end up with a FG instead of a TD?

Shhhhh.....your wrecking his fantasy.

So you'd say allowing someone to score when their drive started on the 4 yd line is an indictment on the defense? ESPECIALLY after multiple stops when they were put in a position MULTIPLE times that day where FSUs drives started at the 50...I'd say the defense did a damn fine job.

Did Saban shoot himself in the foot when he beat Arkansas?

Back to the original topic, was this a mistake by Saban? Well what else was he supposed to do, lose to the Hogs on purpose? You've got to take the win even if it did feed the delusions of some Bammers. Who chooses to lose?

So you'd say allowing someone to score when their drive started on the 4 yd line is an indictment on the defense? ESPECIALLY after multiple stops when they were put in a position MULTIPLE times that day where FSUs drives started at the 50...I'd say the defense did a damn fine job.

Yes, damn fine job. They stopped offense powerhouse FSU several times. Pillowfight to the death.

Yes, damn fine job. They stopped offense powerhouse FSU several times. Pillowfight to the death.

In retrospect, my pre-season assessment of this game's attractiveness seems pretty prophetic:

Ah, Alabama vs. FSU. What a glorious battle royale.

It will be like watching Muhammed Ali and Joe Frazier fight. Today.

It will be like watching two dinosaurs roll around in a tar pit.

It will be like an extra special episode of Golden Girls.

It will be like Katherine Hepburn and Henry Fonda making love. Today.

It will be like a geriatric episode of The Surreal Life

It will be like watching a Happy Days reunion special. DANG Fonzie got old!

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41389

Back to the original topic, was this a mistake by Saban? Well what else was he supposed to do, lose to the Hogs on purpose? You've got to take the win even if it did feed the delusions of some Bammers. Who chooses to lose?

I'm not saying he should have lost on purpose. That is ridiculous. But they won their first two games against high school teams without going into mass hysteria, eventhough it was all they could do to hold it in....only because of Saban's constant reminders in the off season to lower expectations. But the Arkansas game is what made them pee themselves with sheer joy.

Saban won 1 SEC game and his fanbase, as well as media state-wide declared a 10-win season. Now the same stuff he has been telling them since Day 1 looks like a "letdown." That's what I mean by "shooting himself in the foot."

Galen. Please.

A nuke from orbit; its the only way to be sure.....

I'm not saying he should have lost on purpose. That is ridiculous. But they won their first two games against high school teams without going into mass hysteria, eventhough it was all they could do to hold it in....only because of Saban's constant reminders in the off season to lower expectations. But the Arkansas game is what made them pee themselves with sheer joy.

Saban won 1 SEC game and his fanbase, as well as media state-wide declared a 10-win season. Now the same stuff he has been telling them since Day 1 looks like a "letdown." That's what I mean by "shooting himself in the foot."

The vocal majority of the bammer fan base is going to take any little glimmer of hope and turn it into an outside chance at an 07 MNC. He could have lost all 5 of their first games but I guarantee that some of the homers would have been saying they are back and there were at least two moral victories in the bunch. They are ignorant; thats how they roll.

The people who have a clue and a neuron or six know now and knew then that St. Nick is not going to come in and clean up that train wreck in the course of a year. They have a lot of talent that is as raw and uncultured and eventually will become a good football team again but it is not going to happen over night. That should not have changed during the Arkansas game for those that keep from drinking the same spiked kool-aid that the vocal majority partake of.

Did Saban shoot himself in the foot? No; he has no power over the situation. You give the bammer fan base just a little micron of hope and they will delusion that into a MNC and maybe a Super Bowl victory. If anything he is a victim of the ignorant majorities' collective fantasies of a return to the 1970s, albeit with a little shorter coach with a straw hat.

The more realistic and perceptive bammers I know have looked at the gift horse of the Arky victory and said "Woo thanks Nick!" and been happy with being 3-2 near the mid point of the season.

The vocal majority of the bammer fan base is going to take any little glimmer of hope and turn it into an outside chance at an 07 MNC.

You think the majority of Alabama fans expected a national championship this year after we beat Arkansas?

The vocal majority of the bammer fan base is going to take any little glimmer of hope and turn it into an outside chance at an 07 MNC.

You think the majority of Alabama fans expected a national championship this year after we beat Arkansas?

You haven't made a point yet BG. Anything other than a question in our future?

He DID say the "vocal majority". This doesn't mean the "majority" of Bammer fans expected, or still expect an MNC in '07. Vocal fans have a tendancy of saying something that will get them heard, stupid or not.

You must never get laid. You're ALWAYS here! ...otherwise you're somewhere playing Halo 3....

...just sayin'...

It was a :poke: in the ribs. I don't see how anybody with a brain would realistically think that. But knowing some of the brainless dolt bammers I know, they were at home secretly plotting out the 1000 pieces that would have to fall into place for that to happen, just in case. That way it would be easier to recognize the signs of the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth coming of their savior.

It was a :poke: in the ribs. I don't see how anybody with a brain would realistically think that. But knowing some of the brainless dolt bammers I know, they were at home secretly plotting out the 1000 pieces that would have to fall into place for that to happen, just in case. That way it would be easier to recognize the signs of the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth coming of their savior.

But BG's one of the "rational" bammers Grider... :rolleyes:

If he's rational, and the norm...where is the "average" really???? Very scary thought....

I'll take a stab at this. I say that the majority of Alabama fans DID buy into the "Bama is Back" hype and the "we will win 10 games in 2007" hype after the Arkansas game.

Your fan base is more desperate than a submariner in a cathouse. Y'all were foaming at the mouth for success so badly after beating two patsy teams that any positive whatsoever was immediately so grossly blown out of proportion, that it was insane. All it took was 1 SEC win over a decent Arkansas team to not only declare 10 wins, but also declare that Alabama had overnight, become the dominant program in the state. After all, the Arkansas win was hailed as a "Great win for the State of Alabama" by none other than Saint Saban himself. Auburn was merely an afterthought, and the great Glory Days of the 70s were back.

You guys are so hungry for instant success that you will do anything to get it, including believing something that is so insanely impossible as Saban having his third 10-win season of his 14-year head coaching career in his first year at Alabama.

Funny how everything good that happens is credited to Saint Saban, and everything bad that happens is blamed on Mike Shula.

Funny how everything good that happens is credited to Saint Saban, and everything bad that happens is blamed on Mike Shula.

Might as well get used to it; you are only going to hear it a) for the next 4 years, B) until another excuse presents itself, or c) Satan takes the money and runs.

I'll take a stab at this. I say that the majority of Alabama fans DID buy into the "Bama is Back" hype and the "we will win 10 games in 2007" hype after the Arkansas game.

Your fan base is more desperate than a submariner in a cathouse. Y'all were foaming at the mouth for success so badly after beating two patsy teams that any positive whatsoever was immediately so grossly blown out of proportion, that it was insane. All it took was 1 SEC win over a decent Arkansas team to not only declare 10 wins, but also declare that Alabama had overnight, become the dominant program in the state. After all, the Arkansas win was hailed as a "Great win for the State of Alabama" by none other than Saint Saban himself. Auburn was merely an afterthought, and the great Glory Days of the 70s were back.

You guys are so hungry for instant success that you will do anything to get it, including believing something that is so insanely impossible as Saban having his third 10-win season of his 14-year head coaching career in his first year at Alabama.

Expecting to win 10 games, and expecting to win the NC, are two entirely different things.

Given the way some Bama folks in these part are talking, they are still struggling with the expectations thing. The Arky game "showed them how talented this team really is" and now Applewhite and JPW are just fumbling it away with tentative play calling and lousy execution.

most aren't upset with CMA, i don't think. i'm not really. he doesn't make JPW overthrow a wide open receiver a million times a game. he doesn't make JPW throw it in the turf a few yards in front of his receiver. i've been pretty content with the playcalling considering this is his first year in the SEC. SEC defenses are light years better than what he saw at Rice i'm sure.

I have been MORE than happy with the play calling this year. I remember saying something like that during the UGA game. I thought some great plays were called, just poorly executed. And it wasn't just the QB against UGA, our Oline had trouble too.

Archived