Ray Melick protects Saban

TitanTiger

I don't know how many of you heard about this, but Melick admitted on one of the sports radio programs yesterday that he altered a couple of parts of Saban's quotes on the USF situation to "protect him." Apparently it revolved around Saban using some terminology that wasn't correct anymore regarding Prop 48 (which no longer exists). Melick changed the quote (without brackets or notation) to the correct one so as not to make Saban look ignorant of the change.

Since when is it a journalist's job to protect the image of a head coach? Granted, what he changed isn't exactly the biggest issue in the world, but it makes you wonder what else Melick has taken upon himself to change to "protect" people he wishes to make look better.

Anyway, Will Collier over at the Auburn Rivals site had a nice little email he sent to Melick to upbraid him about it that I thought I'd share:

Just curious: Since when is "protecting" a $4 million a year football coach in a newspaper employee's job description? Did you learn that in one of those really challenging journalism courses you wrote to me about? Or was it an internship?

And say, I must have missed it--after the pharmacy school scandal broke over in Athens, when did you write a column about how your UGA degree was now worthless? Because, you know, if there's a scandal in a part of a college that you've never even taken a course in, hey, that automatically means that your own degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

At least that's what you wrote about Sociology at Auburn. But maybe there are different rules for non-Auburn schools, at least if you work for the Birmingham News.

Ah, well. Like Bart Simpson says, cartoons don't have to be consistent.

--Will Collier

Ouch. That'll bruise. Nice little zinger in there about the UGA Pharmacy school not getting the same "makes your degree worthless" treatment Melick gave the Sociology issue at Auburn a few months back.

Will - thanks for paying attention.

And the truth is, I don't talk much about my UGA degree. That only gets brought up by people like you who somehow think I'm going to be offended. I paid Georgia, went to class, earned my degree, and neither of us owes the other anything. College was a long time ago; it hardly dominates my life now the way it does some people.

Regards,

Ray Melick

Nice dodge. You've obviously been paying attention to Saban's interview techniques while you've been "protecting" him. While we're on the subject, who else have you been "protecting" in print lately? Perhaps all the Alabama boosters who've been changing grades at Hoover?

Just to be clear, your position is that it's fine for you to write a column about how Auburn alums should be ashamed of their degrees, but you personally are under no such obligation?

Like I said, cartoons don't have to be consistent

I honestly haven't heard that much at all about the Pharmacy scandal.

I know 2 men who are in their last few months at the school (then I believe they work as an intern or something at a pharmacy/hospital to finish out their last 2-3-4 semesters) and they didn't seem to care about it too much. Said they didn't know or hear anything even when it broke.

I imagine the same would have be said for AU Sociology majors if the NYT and Gundlach, aided and abetted by ******** and every stupid bammer that can't even spell 'sociology', hadn't trumpeted it from sea to shining sea every day for 6 months.

I honestly haven't heard that much at all about the Pharmacy scandal.

I know 2 men who are in their last few months at the school (then I believe they work as an intern or something at a pharmacy/hospital to finish out their last 2-3-4 semesters) and they didn't seem to care about it too much. Said they didn't know or hear anything even when it broke.

Same here during the big SACS "scandal/crisis/other misleading emotional word". The only time I heard about it was through the local news outlets.

Guest BoStillKnows

Ah, well. Like Bart Simpson says, cartoons don't have to be consistent.

There has to be a Homer joke in there somewhere. Are you sure Homer didn't say that instead of Bart?

As a former sportswriter/sports editor, I have to weigh in here. I know that, as an editor, if I'd had a reporter admit to "protecting" a coach, player or quotee of any other sort, I'd have dealt with him/her harshly. That's simply beyond the pale and should not be tolerated. Moreover, as a sportswriter, I'd be disgusted at a fellow staff writer that did same.

Melick should be fired.

Period.

InDNo

As a former sportswriter/sports editor, I have to weigh in here. I know that, as an editor, if I'd had a reporter admit to "protecting" a coach, player or quotee of any other sort, I'd have dealt with him/her harshly. That's simply beyond the pale and should not be tolerated. Moreover, as a sportswriter, I'd be disgusted at a fellow staff writer that did same.

Melick should be fired.

Period.

InDNo

agreed , first he shows no loyality or appreciation to the school he graduated from, second any credibility

is now gone. His "protecting" was either to get in good graces with this egomaniac coach or to try and make himself look like a hero. Both failed.

He owes Georgia big time, too bad he ruined what he learned there.

Melick should be fired.

Period.

InDNo

agreed , first he shows no loyality or appreciation to the school he graduated from, second any credibility is now gone. His "protecting" was either to get in good graces with this egomaniac coach or to try and make himself look like a hero. Both failed.

He may personally owe UGA for his degree or his start, but again, professionally he should be 100% neutral, helping neither Georgia nor Saban. Journalists aren't suppose to show favoritism, even to their own alma mater.

Melick should be fired.

Period.

InDNo

agreed , first he shows no loyality or appreciation to the school he graduated from, second any credibility is now gone. His "protecting" was either to get in good graces with this egomaniac coach or to try and make himself look like a hero. Both failed.

He may personally owe UGA for his degree or his start, but again, professionally he should be 100% neutral, helping neither Georgia nor Saban. Journalists aren't suppose to show favoritism, even to their own alma mater.

Yes, but a funny thing happened to him on the way to the REC meeting in Mobile...

And yet, the uaters are strangely quiet on this one.....

Did I just hear a cricket chirp?

Archived