Nick Saban: Mr. Forgiving

InDNo

From today's The Birmingham News:

"Saban weighs in

"At his news conference Monday, University of Alabama football coach Nick Saban said he believes there was no wrongdoing by defensive coordinator Kevin Steele in the recruitment of Hoover player Josh Chapman. The report showed Steele called (Terri) Borie to inform her Chapman was barely shy of qualifying under NCAA guidelines. Later, a grade of Chapman's was incorrectly changed, making him eligible. The report said there 'is no suggestion' that Steele asked for a grade change.

" 'As a policy, we try to have our compliance people handle and manage all academic eligibility situations and circumstances with the (NCAA) Clearinghouse,' Saban said. 'I think there are always times, whether it's through conversations with coaches or trying to make sure things get done, sometimes assistant coaches' names can come up in the circumstance.' "

Saban seems awfully forgiving of Steele for TRYING TO GET THINGS DONE. And I think it's quite clear what he was trying to get done (read: get Chapman eligible). Obviously, Steele's no compliance person, but ... I'll be damned! ... his "name came up." So, if it's a policy, which Nicky says here, didn't Steele violate that policy? If so, will he suffer any consequences? The answers are yes and no. He violated policy (which, mind you, is only written policy ... *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* ... never meant to be enforced), but you can bet your sweet backside there'll be no consequences unless dictated by the NCAA.

InDNo

This is like watching a bad episode of COPS. You know what is going on. The perps know you know what is going on. Yet they tell their lies and hope someone, somewhere will believe them.

This is like watching a bad episode of COPS. You know what is going on. The perps know you know what is going on. Yet they tell their lies and hope someone, somewhere will believe them.

I'd say more like an episode of "Law & Order SVU" with the Bama Nation playing the role of the naive victim. B)

THE HOOVER REPORT IS HOGWASH UNLESS SOMEBODY WAS UNDER OATH WHEN THEY WERE INTERVIEWED!!!!!!

Not a single person in the entire Hoover report was interviewed under oath.

You have got to be kidding me. You ask Hoover officials and uat officials if they cheated without putting them under oath and they tell you "of course not" and you BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

The Hoover report is worth the paper it's printed on and that is about all. It is the most ridiculous attempt at a cover-up I have ever seen.

THE HOOVER REPORT IS HOGWASH UNLESS SOMEBODY WAS UNDER OATH WHEN THEY WERE INTERVIEWED!!!!!!

Not a single person in the entire Hoover report was interviewed under oath.

You have got to be kidding me. You ask Hoover officials and uat officials if they cheated without putting them under oath and they tell you "of course not" and you BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

The Hoover report is worth the paper it's printed on and that is about all. It is the most ridiculous attempt at a cover-up I have ever seen.

That my friend is why I've been saying, the Entire time, that the AHSAA needs to step in and get someone without any ties to Hoover or bama to do the interviewing and uncovering. Then, like you've said, have the people involved give a statement Under Oath.

Archived