Textbook update..

quietfan

Just wondering...

UAT and the NCAA said they hoped to have a decision on the textbook cases and the players' eligibility before Saturday's game with LSU. (That actually seemed like a pretty short deadline to conduct a thorough investigation of all athletes/sports, but that's JMHO.) Anyway, anyone heard any progress reports? Game time is only a little over 72 hours away--is the investigation on track to make that deadline? Was such a deadline realistic for a proper investigation?

That does seem pretty quick, especially in light of the fact that it took them over a year to come to a decision on one grade for Brad Lester.

Just wondering...

UAT and the NCAA said they hoped to have a decision on the textbook cases and the players' eligibility before Saturday's game with LSU. (That actually seemed like a pretty short deadline to conduct a thorough investigation of all athletes/sports, but that's JMHO.) Anyway, anyone heard any progress reports? Game time is only a little over 72 hours away--is the investigation on track to make that deadline? Was such a deadline realistic for a proper investigation?

i haven't even seen where the university or the NCAA have said that?

Just wondering...

Yeah there would be no reason to get in a hurry would there?

Just wondering...

Yeah there would be no reason to get in a hurry would there?

i'm still waiting to see where UA or the NCAA have said that a decision should be here before game time.

Just reported on the PF show that UA and the NCAA are meeting today in Indy. So a decision, or some sort of news, should be made shortly (within a day maybe)

Would I be surprised if a "magical" decision was made before this weekend? Would I be surprised if all of the players dress out Saturday and some if not all, play?

Would I be surprised if a "magical" decision was made before this weekend? Would I be surprised if all of the players dress out Saturday and some if not all, play?

yeah, i mean we've never been in trouble with the NCAA so i'm sure if something really bad happened, they'll give us the benefit of the doubt. :rolleyes:

How do uaters manage to stand up after spinning all day...every day?

Perrilloux got cleared.

These players will get cleared.

Not that it matters. I think LSU is going to run away with this one.

Just wondering...

UAT and the NCAA said they hoped to have a decision on the textbook cases and the players' eligibility before Saturday's game with LSU. ...

...not sure exactly what I read last week that made me think they were looking at a Saturday deadline, but on a quick search I found this article. I sbelieve it, or another report like it, gave me the impression they could possibly render a verdict before the LSU game.

http://www.al.com/huntsvilletimes/stories/....xml&coll=1

Bama players might return vs. LSU

Friday, October 26, 2007

One-game suspensions for textbook violations may satisfy the NCAA

TUSCALOOSA - NCAA rules may allow Alabama's five suspended football players back on the field for the Nov. 3 LSU game.

The suspensions regarding improprieties with textbook accounts sidelined Antoine Caldwell, Glen Coffee, Chris Rogers, Marlon Davis and Marquis Johnson for last week's Tennessee game.

Whether they're allowed to return for the SEC West showdown against LSU could depend on the value of any extra benefit each may have received. If the benefit is deemed to be less than $100, restitution is all that's needed to restore eligibility.

Even if the amount is greater than $100, the one-game suspension served by the five players could satisfy minimum NCAA rules.

According to Stacey Osburn, associate director for media relations for the NCAA, the minimum punishment in a case exceeding $100 is usually 10 percent of the scheduled games. In a 12-game schedule, 10 percent would be 1.2 games.

Osburn elaborated on NCAA rules without discussing the specifics of the Alabama case.

"The (suspension) for a violation of the textbook rule when it is over $100 is determined on a case-by-case basis dependent on mitigating circumstances, including the level of culpability by the student-athlete - if there was a scheme to defraud, and other factors," Osburn said Thursday in an e-mail to The Huntsville Times.

Osburn said she wasn't certain whether the one-game suspension would satisfy the 10-percent minimum of a 12-game schedule. If not, it's possible the players could be forced to sit out a portion of the LSU game.

This is somewhat confusing--one the one hand, I can understand if the specifics of an NCAA rule say a one game suspension is adequate. On the other hand, I don't see how that evaluation can be made before a thorough investigation is conducted. I suppose it is possible to focus the investigation first on just those five players in order to get them cleared by the NCAA ASAP, then follow with a more expansive investigation later.

In any case, sounds like the UAT/NCAA meeting is happening today, so my original question regarding progress/updates has been answered.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2007/10/ua_off...th_ncaa_on.html

UA officials meet with NCAA on textbooks

October 31, 2007 12:55 PM

Categories: SportsTUSCALOOSA - University of Alabama officials are meeting with NCAA officials today regarding violations that occurred because of a textbook distribution issue.

The impermissible receipt of textbooks left five Crimson Tide football players - starting guards Antoine Caldwell and Marlon Davis, backup running back Glen Coffee, reserve cornerback Marquis Johnson and special teamer Chris Rogers - suspended indefinitely.

See Thursday's Birmingham News for more details of this story. By NCAA rule, Alabama must declare the players ineligible if they are deemed to have been in violation of NCAA rules. The NCAA student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee will hear the school's recommendation before players are allowed to play in Saturday's game against No. 3 LSU or in future games.

The Crimson Tide foundation plane arrived in Indianapolis at 11 a.m., according to a national flight service. Among the UA administrators meeting with the NCAA are Athletics Director Mal Moore and Director of Compliance Chris King.

Even with today's meeting, it is not clear when a conclusion will be reached on the players' eligibility.

Ian R. Rapoport

Ball State gets two-year probation for NCAA violationsPosted

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The NCAA put Ball State on probation for two years and cut three football scholarships for misusing a textbook loan program.The penalties announced Tuesday by the Division I Committee on Infractions also included a reduction of money available for men's tennis scholarships and a restriction on the number of hours per week allowed for softball practice.

The infractions involved 89 athletes in 10 sports from the spring semester of 2003 to the end of the 2004-05 school year. A separate investigation is still underway involving former men's basketball coach Ronny Thompson, who resigned in July amid accusations that he and his assistants broke NCAA rules by attending voluntary offseason workouts in 2006 and 2007 and then lying about their involvement.

The athletes in the textbook investigation, who were not identified, obtained $26,944 in books for classes in which they were not enrolled. In some cases, they obtained more than one copy of the same book, which they gave to others.

The university, which began its own investigation more than two years ago, accepted the NCAA findings without a formal hearing before the infractions committee. The probation will run through Oct. 15, 2009.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: NCAA | Ball | Ball State | Infractions "While it is always difficult when penalties are involved, we accept them as appropriate and a valuable lesson," Ball State athletic director Tom Collins said. "I've already spoken with the coaches. The loss of scholarships and practice time will be a challenge, but I have great confidence in our coaches' abilities to work through those challenges."

The NCAA said the extra benefits to the athletes through the book program resulted in Ball State exceeding limitations on financial aid in football and men's tennis for 2004-05.

At the time, the university's bookstore had a computerized system that placed $1,000 per semester in each athlete's account, but there was no system to check the class schedules to make sure the books corresponded with the classes the athletes were taking.

Those whose schedules did not require $1,000 worth of textbooks were able to use the balance to obtain books for friends and other athletes who were not on scholarship, the NCAA found.

The university has been reimbursed for the value of the books and "all books involved were accounted for," Collins said.

The NCAA also found that from 1999 through 2006 the softball program failed to count athletes' work at camps, clinics and program fundraising events as athletically related activities. The program therefore exceeded daily and weekly practice hour limitations, failed to give athletes a required day off each week from athletically related activities, and conducted individual skill instruction sessions in violation of NCAA rules.

The NCAA said the university's compliance staff became aware of the violations but failed to act on the information or report it to the NCAA.

"The Committee on Infractions believed that the scope and nature of the violations demonstrated a failure to exercise institutional control in the conduct and administration of the book-loan and softball programs," the NCAA said. "It found that the university failed to establish adequate rules education to student-athletes and staff to ensure the use of athletics aid at the bookstore met NCAA regulations."

The football scholarship reduction may be applied in a single year or divided over the next two years. Tennis financial aid will be reduced by .04 of one scholarship during the 2008-09 year.

For the softball violations, no more than four players may participate in any individual skill-related instruction sessions with the coach until April 15, 2008. Also, for the rest of the 2006-07 year and all of the 2007-08 academic year, no softball player may participate as a counselor, demonstrator or instructor in a university camp or clinic, and the softball team will be limited to a maximum of 18 hours per week of countable athletically related activities.

Hearing a little rumor that the mood on the plane ride back home was not good.

Link

By NBC 13 Staff

TUSCALOOSA: University of Alabama Athletic Director Mal Moore and compliance director Chris King met Wednesday with NCAA officials in Indianapolis.

It does not appear a resolution regarding the five players suspended over textbook improprieties would be immediately forthcoming.

Doug Walker, Associate Athletic Director for Media Relations, told the paper the purpose of the meeting was to update the NCAA on the probe. He also said the investigation is ongoing.accounts.

Moore said the meeting was not about Saturday's game against LSU. Starting offensive linemen Antoine Caldwell and Marlon Davis along with backups Glen Coffee, Marquis Johnson and Chris Rogers were suspended October 19th for improprieties in their textbook

It appears none of the five will play Saturday.

Hearing a little rumor that the mood on the plane ride back home was not good.

Link

By NBC 13 Staff

TUSCALOOSA: University of Alabama Athletic Director Mal Moore and compliance director Chris King met Wednesday with NCAA officials in Indianapolis.

It does not appear a resolution regarding the five players suspended over textbook improprieties would be immediately forthcoming.

Doug Walker, Associate Athletic Director for Media Relations, told the paper the purpose of the meeting was to update the NCAA on the probe. He also said the investigation is ongoing.accounts.

Moore said the meeting was not about Saturday's game against LSU. Starting offensive linemen Antoine Caldwell and Marlon Davis along with backups Glen Coffee, Marquis Johnson and Chris Rogers were suspended October 19th for improprieties in their textbook

It appears none of the five will play Saturday.

that's what i think most fans expected....not all that surprising. i'll be surprised if they play any the rest of the season.

Archived