Next Nebraska Head Coach

tarheeltiger

Nebraska will look for someone with an existing track record of consistant winning. It will be someone who has a long history of hard-nosed defensive football, who understands the necessity in that league of having an established running game but is willing to utilize the extra dimensions of modern offensive football.

Nebraska is middle America and as such would be looking for someone who leads by example and recruits players as much for their character as their ability.

Nebraska has extreme potential as far as a once again becoming a winner. It is essentially unopposed in the state and can appeal to recruits on a national scale. A coach who goes to Nebraska might get that elusive National Championship within a relatively short period of time.

If you where Tom Osborne, where would you look?

NU has difficulty recruiting against teams in the southern tier (i.e. Florida/FlaSt, LSU, Miami, USC, etc) because those areas typically appeal to kids more than wide open spaces full of cornfields. If you think about it, if given the chance, would you play for a team that access to beaches, women and a hardy night life or a team that has access to tractor pulls and cornfields? <_< Nebraska's past succes was based on local kids who believed in NU, wanted to play for NU, considered Osborne a God and would give their left nut to wear the "N" on their helmet. Yes we were able to recruit outside of the state but half or more of our recruits were from NU.

Will Osborne coach again? Nope. In fact, he probably be won't be the AD but for just a couple/three years IMO. Rumor has it Dave Rimington will eventually be hired on as Asst AD and be mentored/groom to take over the reins as AD.

NU has difficulty recruiting against teams in the southern tier (i.e. Florida/FlaSt, LSU, Miami, USC, etc) because those areas typically appeal to kids more than wide open spaces full of cornfields. If you think about it, if given the chance, would you play for a team that access to beaches, women and a hardy night life or a team that has access to tractor pulls and cornfields? <_< Nebraska's past succes was based on local kids who believed in NU, wanted to play for NU, considered Osborne a God and would give their left nut to wear the "N" on their helmet. Yes we were able to recruit outside of the state but half or more of our recruits were from NU.

Will Osborne coach again? Nope. In fact, he probably be won't be the AD but for just a couple/three years IMO. Rumor has it Dave Rimington will eventually be hired on as Asst AD and be mentored/groom to take over the reins as AD.

So Huskerfan, who would you think was at the top of the list for NU? Or is there a top 5 or so? Who do you think would be a good fit?

I think there are still plenty of kids in Neb that would still give their left nut to play for the big red on Saturdays.

Does Neb still have the scholarship program in place for walk ons?

If you think about it, if given the chance, would you play for a team that access to beaches, women and a hardy night life or a team that has access to tractor pulls and cornfields?

Well, we are Allbarn people here

Right now Pelini's name is at the top of everyones wish-list with Turner Gill a close 2nd. Pelini reminds Osborne of a young Devaney and Gill and Osborne are close friends. Other names out there are guys like Edsall, Paul Johnson, Rich Rodriguez....the usual. Barry Alvarez' name has been tossed out there as well along with, of all people, Barry Switzer! Regardless of who Osborne hires, the coach who comes in MUST be willing to embrace Nebraska football traditions. He MUST live, eat, drink, sleep, pee and poop the traditions set forth by the likes of Devaney and Osborne. Callahan claimed he did and acted as if he respected the traditions but we don't think he truly embraced them. Pederson shunned them. Our current "blackshirts" are even worthy enough to carry the jockstraps of guys like the Peter brothers, Grant Wistrom, Mike Minter, etc. The new coach will have to bring the Blackshirts back up from the cellar. Anything less than that, and the next coach will be ostracized and run out of town much quicker than Callahan. Fortunately, we have Osborne at the helm so we have confidence and faith in Osbornes decision(s).

Osborne made a comment a couple of weeks ago to the effect "the new coaching staff" will have to take a long hard look at the walk-on program. Fans didn't key in on the walk-on program. Instead we keyed in on the "the new coaching staff" statement as proof NU will be in fact getting a new HC at the conclusion of this season. But I do think Osborne will have some influence with the new HC with regard to the resurrecting the walk-on program back to a level it once was or close to it. Right now Callahan claims he kept the walk-on but its not nearly the program it was.

All in all, it won't be a day too soon when this season is over and the clock hits 00:00 at Folsom field in Boulder Co Thanksgiving weekend.

Right now Pelini's name is at the top of everyones wish-list with Turner Gill a close 2nd. Pelini reminds Osborne of a young Devaney and Gill and Osborne are close friends. Other names out there are guys like Edsall, Paul Johnson, Rich Rodriguez....the usual. Barry Alvarez' name has been tossed out there as well along with, of all people, Barry Switzer! Regardless of who Osborne hires, the coach who comes in MUST be willing to embrace Nebraska football traditions. He MUST live, eat, drink, sleep, pee and poop the traditions set forth by the likes of Devaney and Osborne. Callahan claimed he did and acted as if he respected the traditions but we don't think he truly embraced them. Pederson shunned them. Our current "blackshirts" are even worthy enough to carry the jockstraps of guys like the Peter brothers, Grant Wistrom, Mike Minter, etc. The new coach will have to bring the Blackshirts back up from the cellar. Anything less than that, and the next coach will be ostracized and run out of town much quicker than Callahan. Fortunately, we have Osborne at the helm so we have confidence and faith in Osbornes decision(s).

Osborne made a comment a couple of weeks ago to the effect "the new coaching staff" will have to take a long hard look at the walk-on program. Fans didn't key in on the walk-on program. Instead we keyed in on the "the new coaching staff" statement as proof NU will be in fact getting a new HC at the conclusion of this season. But I do think Osborne will have some influence with the new HC with regard to the resurrecting the walk-on program back to a level it once was or close to it. Right now Callahan claims he kept the walk-on but its not nearly the program it was.

All in all, it won't be a day too soon when this season is over and the clock hits 00:00 at Folsom field in Boulder Co Thanksgiving weekend.

I hadn't thought about Gill this year, because Buffalo hasn't made too much noise. He would be a quality coach.

If you consider where Buffalo was prior to Gill being hired as HC and where he has brought them, Buffalo is considerably better. I read somewhere Buffalo has a chance to win their Conf/Division this year. So yes, Gill is probably a good coach. Unfortunately I personally don't think he's ready for prime-time just yet as HC at NU. However, I would have no problem with him returning as OC or QB coach.

I think most Auburn fans would say the same about Muschamp now if they were truthful. He seems to be a great DC and will someday be a great head coach, but probably not for a couple more years.

Gill is currently doing the job just not at Nebraska. He understands Nebraska football, I would imagine. Bo Pellini doesn't have anymore head coaching experience, does he? I would think Gill would be real high on the list.

Jim Leavitt will be looked at by somebody don't ya think?

He already has been several times, but has remained very loyal to the program he started. I think some will show interest, but not too many for that simple fact.

Gill is currently doing the job just not at Nebraska. He understands Nebraska football, I would imagine. Bo Pellini doesn't have anymore head coaching experience, does he? I would think Gill would be real high on the list.

He is and apparently doing a good job (4-6 overall/4-2 in conf). What some Gill detractors point to is coaching in the MAC is worlds apart from coaching in the B12. I tend to agree with it.

I think that Nebraska will hire a defensive minded coach. Muschamp is too young and inexperienced to truly be considered, in my opinion. Although, he did work under Nick Saban, Tommy Tuberville and in the NFL. So, he's probably a pretty good decision.

Archived