The Tide is Turning Again lol

cehuff21

OMG I had to post this. Made my stomach hurt a little bit I was laughing so hard. Read the bold parts!

Free article from Rivals.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=735974

Steve Megargee

Rivals.com College Football Staff Writer

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – As LSU's players headed toward the locker room after a stirring 41-34 comeback victory over Alabama on Saturday, they could see a fan holding a sign that underscored the bitterness some Tigers fans have toward their former coach.

Nick Saban is a mercenary.

Is he a mercenary or missionary, motivated by money or principles? Where you stand on that debate probably depends on whether Saban has just started coaching your team or recently left for a higher-paying job.

Nick Saban appears to have the Tide rising at Alabama in his first season.

But there's no arguing this point: Saban is on the verge of making sure Alabama reclaims its status as one of the nation's elite programs, assuming he sticks around long enough to finish the job.

Saban, who owns a 97-45-1 record in his college coaching career, helped LSU capture a share of the 2003 national title in his fourth season in Baton Rouge. But he stayed only one season at Toledo, five seasons each at Michigan State and LSU and two years with the NFL's Miami Dolphins before heading to Alabama.

"When he left from Michigan State, I had a bunch of friends of mine who told me we'd be sorry we accepted him from Michigan State," LSU fan Darren Elisar of Orange Beach, Ala., said before the Tigers' game with Alabama. "I didn't believe them. He did some great things for the program, but when he left the way he did, he didn't do it in a (proper) style or fashion. He did the same thing he did at Miami.

"It's a mirror image of what he did at Toledo, Michigan State and LSU. Miami was the same thing. In three years, he'll be gone from here as well."

Jimmy Calvert, a 1989 Alabama alum who lives in Birmingham, heard that prediction and offered the following reply: "If my buddy here says three years, I'll take it. He'll do something in three years that no other coach since (Gene) Stallings has done."

Alabama has earned just one Southeastern Conference title since Stallings led the Tide to the 1992 national championship. The Tide went 26-30 in SEC games from 2000-06, which explains why they were willing to pay Saban $4 million per year.

Saban has wasted no time making a difference. The Tide were one fourth-down stop away from seizing control of the SEC Western Division last week before allowing two touchdowns in the final three minutes against LSU.

"We had one of the best teams in the country on the ropes and had an opportunity to win the game, so there are a lot of positives in that," Saban said. "The players should get some confidence in that they accomplished that. Are we pleased with losing? Absolutely not. There's no such thing as moral victories."

Alabama has compiled plenty of actual victories to go along with its moral ones. The Tide (6-3 overall, 4-2 in the SEC) already has matched last season's overall win total and doubled the league victory total. In fact, Alabama is only a couple of plays away from being unbeaten in conference play.

Perhaps the most encouraging aspect of Saturday's game for Alabama fans came after the final whistle. Alabama's players weren't satisfied with coming close against LSU. They instead spent the moments after the game discussing what they did wrong down the stretch.

"We had a chance to win," Alabama quarterback John Parker Wilson said. "We just didn't do it."

Alabama has enough youth on its roster that the Tide eventually should learn how to win these types of games. Alabama had three freshmen and six sophomores in its starting lineup last week. Left guard Justin Britt was the only senior starter on offense.

The Tide's two leading rushers are freshman Terry Grant and sophomore Glen Coffee, though Coffee has been suspended for the past two games. Freshman cornerback Kareem Jackson has picked off three passes in his past two games, and freshman linebacker Rolando McClain is second on the team in tackles.

Turning the tide

Alabama coach Nick Saban is attempting to make the Crimson Tide an annual SEC title contender again after several seasons of inconsistent performances. Here's a look at how Alabama has fared overall and within the conference each year since winning its last SEC crown in 1999.

Season Record SEC West Finish

2000 3-8 3-5 5th (tie)

2001 7-5 4-4 3rd (tie)

2002 10-3 6-2 *1st

2003 4-9 2-6 5th

2004 6-6 3-5 3rd (tie)

2005 10-2 6-2 3rd

2006 6-7 2-6 4th (tie)

2007 6-3 4-2 2nd (tie)

* – Alabama finished first in its division but was ineligible to play for the conference title in 2002.

Even with all those underclassmen playing major roles, Alabama has been competitive in every game it has played this season.

"It's a credit to Nick Saban," LSU coach Les Miles said. "He's done a damn good job with his football team."

Saban's team faces the challenge of forgetting about the loss to LSU, which ended any realistic hopes the Tide had of winning the SEC West. Alabama now has to focus on beating Mississippi State this weekend, ending its five-year losing streak to Auburn and playing in a bowl.

"It's about who you are," Saban said. "If you've got pride in your performance, you will play well in the next game, you will prepare to play well in the next game, and you've got to put it behind you. That's what we need to do. It's a challenge to everyone in terms of how they will overcome adversity."

If Alabama improves at a similar rate next season, the Tide might not have settle for second-tier bowls much longer. Next season, Alabama will have to restock a receiving corps that loses DJ Hall, Matt Caddell and Keith Brown, but the Tide should be in good shape just about everywhere else.

Alabama should emerge as a player on the national scene again as long as Saban sticks around, but how long will that be? Has he finally found a home at Alabama, or is this just one more stop on his personal coaching carousel?

"He's at the greatest college football atmosphere in the country," Tide fan Mike Byrd of Andalusia, Ala., said before the LSU game. "To follow Bear Bryant, what else could you want?"

And if Saban continues his nomadic nature and leaves after a few seasons, Tide fans say they can deal with it. After all, it wouldn't be the first time a coach has fled from Alabama earlier than expected.

"I've been seasoned by (Dennis) Franchione," Calvert said.

Steve Megargee is a national writer for Rivals.com. He can be reached at smegargee@rivals.com.

:roflol:

what in the hell is up with the "following bear bryant" bs? THE MAN HAS BEEN DEAD FOR 25 YEARS! saban is following mike shula, who followed mike price, who followed dennis franchione, who followed mike dubose, who followed gene stallings, who followed bill curry, who followed ray perkins, WHO FOLLOWED THE BAAAHHHRRR. did the last quarter century not happen to these people? well, you and i both know the answer to that, but statements like these are what make bg's constant "i don't know anyone who says things/wears things like that" evasion totally bunk.

the absolute best thing that program could possibly do is sever all ties with that good ol' boy s***, restaff the administration with a new generation of people who are interested in the future, and let the poor man rest. if they would stop trying to "regain" something that is absolutely NEVER going to come back, they could move forward to something they could own NOW instead of trying to dedicate their lives to pleasing a man who hasn't been here to give a damn for 3 years longer than i've even been alive. until then, they'll just continue to wring their hands and gnash their teeth about trying to live up to something that's been mythically exaggerated through all these years of mediocrity so much that it is absolutely, hysterically out of reach. nothing is bringing that back.

WAKE UP TURDS. IT'S 2007, AND YOU'RE STARING 6 IN THE FACE.

"He's at the greatest college football atmosphere in the country," Tide fan Mike Byrd of Andalusia, Ala., said before the LSU game. "To follow Bear Bryant, what else could you want?"

PRICEless.

PRICEless.

He probably got to the game via his UFO that sounded like a freight train. :rolleyes:

the absolute best thing that program could possibly do is sever all ties with that good ol' boy s***, restaff the administration with a new generation of people who are interested in the future, and let the poor man rest.

You might enjoy following Nebraska football?

the absolute best thing that program could possibly do is sever all ties with that good ol' boy s***, restaff the administration with a new generation of people who are interested in the future, and let the poor man rest.

talk about a train wreck....sheesh I feel for the Huskernation. They're nice folks.

what in the hell is up with the "following bear bryant" bs? THE MAN HAS BEEN DEAD FOR 25 YEARS! saban is following mike shula, who followed mike price, who followed dennis franchione, who followed mike dubose, who followed gene stallings, who followed bill curry, who followed ray perkins, WHO FOLLOWED THE BAAAHHHRRR. did the last quarter century not happen to these people? well, you and i both know the answer to that, but statements like these are what make bg's constant "i don't know anyone who says things/wears things like that" evasion totally bunk.

the absolute best thing that program could possibly do is sever all ties with that good ol' boy s***, restaff the administration with a new generation of people who are interested in the future, and let the poor man rest. if they would stop trying to "regain" something that is absolutely NEVER going to come back, they could move forward to something they could own NOW instead of trying to dedicate their lives to pleasing a man who hasn't been here to give a damn for 3 years longer than i've even been alive. until then, they'll just continue to wring their hands and gnash their teeth about trying to live up to something that's been mythically exaggerated through all these years of mediocrity so much that it is absolutely, hysterically out of reach. nothing is bringing that back.

I don't know. I kind of like the Bammers still being attached to the Bear. I wish they'd hire Paul Bryant Jr. as the next head coach. Just to keep the bloodline. I think it shows a commitment to tradition - something that our country has forgotten. They might be the only group of people who still understand what loyalty means. Winning isn't everything, Foodmonster. Proper respect for our forefathers, for our football forefathers is a lost virtue. Luckily, the Bammers have sacrificed progressive thought for the sake of maintaining what's right. I thank them for it. Kudos, Bammers. Kudos.

i would enjoy a broadcast of an alabama game without several minutes of graphics, video, and nostalgic reflection on the bahr. it's just flat-out sad as hell. how long can that go on? you think it would be in their best interest (think objectively, sure we all want them to be mired in this sad crap forever) to continue on their present track? you a fan of constant speeches about how they deserve to win/the next coach is the bear incarnate/our success is just a blip on the radar compared to what they did 30 years ago?

i'd love to beat them either way, but to be honest, i'd also love to hear them finally let the man go instead of dancing his corpse around like a sick puppet all day, every day.

i'd love to beat them either way, but to be honest, i'd also love to hear them finally let the man go instead of dancing his corpse around like a sick puppet all day, every day.

Yeah, a sick Bear Puppet would be WRONG! ...and kinda scary!

bearpuppetnx8.jpg

bearpuppetnx8.jpg

BAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......

bearpuppetnx8.jpg

Maybe the fark of the year :roflol:

Saban and everyone else says "We played one of the top teams in the country down to the wire", what the heck do they think we did? At least we were in it the whole game and had some good offense on them. Also all 3 of our losses are by 5 points or less. Almost like our game with LSU didn't mean a thing, we played them better than Bama did.

:thumbsup:

Saban and everyone else says "We played one of the top teams in the country down to the wire", what the heck do they think we did? At least we were in it the whole game and had some good offense on them. Also all 3 of our losses are by 5 points or less. Almost like our game with LSU didn't mean a thing, we played them better than Bama did.

Yep. Auburn gave us a much better game then Bama. LSU Pretty much allowed Bama to stay in the game.

Also, I'm sure Houston is proud for playing Bama down to the wire. Didn't Bama have a huge talent advantage in that game? Was Nick outcoached?

Let me ask you guys this...

If LSU had played against Ole Miss the way they did against Alabama, would anybody be "fearing" or "respecting" Ole Miss right now?

No. They would be talking about how LSU is so good they can fart up and down the field for 4 quarters and still pull off a win even with 497 penalties and 142 turnovers.

There would be no heaps of praise falling on Ed Orgeron and Ole Miss, just as there should not be for Alabama. It is impossible to stop them from claiming moral victories, but DAMN, this is pathetic.

To me, this says the two programs ( :ua: and :om: ) are no longer equal. Ole Miss is far above Alabama because they do not relish the "almost." They actually try to win, they just fail at it a lot.

Give him a couple more seasons and Saban will have them back up to Ole Miss's level.

Archived