Bama student found dead

bigsixfive

Poor kid. Makes me wonder if it was a hernia.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — A 22-year-old national bodybuilding champion was found dead in the bathroom of his University of Alabama dorm room.

Dan Puckett was found Wednesday morning by his roomate, according to a MyFoxBirmingham report.

The senior, who would have graduated in December, had complained of a possible muscle injury after returning home from the gym the day before, according tot he report.

Capt. Loyd Baker, commander of the Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Unit, told MyFoxBirmingham, there were no visible signs of trauma or any suggestion of foul play.

Fox News

How in the world does something like that happen to a healthy 22 year old? My bet is an aneurysm, or some sort of complication from steroid use - maybe an overdose?

How in the world does something like that happen to a healthy 22 year old? My bet is an aneurysm, or some sort of complication from steroid use - maybe an overdose?

Why speculate regarding an overdose?

Because of the way he looked. I'm certainly no expert, but I find it hard to believe someone achieves that look naturally. Who knows though.

I feel bad for his family and friends. A sad situation.

Does anybody really think this is healthy?

Here is a picture of him:

14538435.jpg

Regardless, I feel for his folks. I hope they are able to deal with this ok. Prayers sent for friends/family.

Because of the way he looked. I'm certainly no expert, but I find it hard to believe someone achieves that look naturally. Who knows though.

You need to look into bodybuilding a little bit before you just go off. He doesn't look that bad at all for his height; his weight and muscle balance seems normal. Just because he eats a healthy and lean diet and can get down to 1% bodyfat for competition, that isn't freakish (well maybe for you it is). If not posing most of the muscle bellies would be relaxed and he would look just like any other athlete with good amount of muscle mass.

He competes in the heavyweight division for that division he isn't that big.

Reserve Judgement until the facts are in not all bodybuilders are on roids.

You need to look into bodybuilding a little bit before you just go off. He doesn't look that bad at all for his height; his weight and muscle balance seems normal. Just because he eats a healthy and lean diet and can get down to 1% bodyfat for competition, that isn't freakish (well maybe for you it is). If not posing most of the muscle bellies would be relaxed and he would look just like any other athlete with good amount of muscle mass.

He competes in the heavyweight division for that division he isn't that big.

Reserve Judgement until the facts are in not all bodybuilders are on roids.

You can't get like that without some help.

Man. I hate this kind of reckless speculation. Heck, the kid might have just had a defective heart for all you guys know. Why jump to the worst possible conclusions or critique his passion for body building? Just leave him alone and let his poor family bury him in peace.

Yeah, it's not very tactful to speculate like that about someone you do not even know. This is a person, with a family who has feelings and emotions you are talking about...not an object.

My prayers go out to his family and friends, and fellow students. May they find some comfort through this terrible journey they are about to take.

Man. I hate this kind of reckless speculation. Heck, the kid might have just had a defective heart for all you guys know. Why jump to the worst possible conclusions or critique his passion for body building? Just leave him alone and let his poor family bury him in peace.

Yeah, it's not very tactful to speculate like that about someone you do not even know. This is a person, with a family who has feelings and emotions you are talking about...not an object.

My prayers go out to his family and friends, and fellow students. May they find some comfort through this terrible journey they are about to take.

Settle down there Franci.

This is a sports themed message board, bodybuilding is a sport. I looked at his picture and in my opinion, he was using steroids. I did not make any judgments about his lifestyle or speculate that he died from the drugs.

His death, while tragic, does not concern me at all. If I were to run into his family, I would offer my sympathies. But I don’t know the kid, neither do you. To get emotional is ridiculous.

Had two friends in body building die recently. Both were very young, 20s and early thirties. I didnt see it before, naive as I am, but both of those deaths were complicated by steroids and some very intense use of recreational drugs too.

Jeep Swenson died just after filming a Batman movie. He was "Bane" in the one with Uma Thurman.

jeep_swenson4.jpg

16_51.jpg

This is not all that uncommon.

14090-PVW-puckett-d-01.jpg

Does not look any more of a steroid user than me in college. I used to practically live at Golds Gym back in 94-98 and was probably bigger than him in this photo. I never used steroids just worked my tail off to get that big....regretting it later in life because now I run three to five times a week just to keep from looking like a bowling ball! The worst part about any death of an athlete that is obviously in shape is the rumor mills firing up and having to say there are negative reasons for his or her death. This kids family and friends are devistated and that is when we should just give our condolences and move on not our two cents!

I'm not speculating. But I see it from the other side, and gym rats have a repuation for being HGH users and recreational drug users. Common things being common, he probably died of a heart issue, but it was likely complicated by some sort of medication. I've seen high dose ephedrine cause arrthymias in a desire to get as lean as possible.

This kids family and friends are devistated and that is when we should just give our condolences and move on not our two cents!

This isn't a condolence board. It's a sports message board.

If you have a tragedy in your family, I will offer you my condolences. We aren't friends by the technical definition, but we do speak. So I have a personal interest.

This kid's family doesn't care what we think. I think you are putting too much importance on our opinions.

Not putting importance to your opinion, I am just saying that most of the time that people assume the worse first! What if this was your kid and he had not been using illegal drugs and then all of a sudden he was dead and the first thing out of peoples mouths were " It was probably drugs! " Would hurt wouldn't it! I know I have been there.....I had a friend die about 6 years ago of a heart attack...........HE WAS 32! The first thing out of the mouths of people was he was a doper.......the autopsy proved otherwise and people still jumped to their conclusions and it hurt me as his friend and it hurts his family for that to be the scuttlebut!

No Lurking Tiger I know this is not a condolence board but it is a public forum and that is my public opinion. You are not my friend as you say by technical definition but if this tragedy was to be in your court I would say to you my condolences and my prayers are with your family! That is just what kind of person I am.

Archived