Dorsey wins Nagurski

anakintwh

USA Today Article on Dorsey winning Nagurski Award

LSU's Dorsey wins Nagurski Trophy as colleges' top defender

From staff reports

LSU tackle Glenn Dorsey on Monday night claimed the 2007 Bronko Nagurski Trophy, annually awarded to the best defensive player in college football. He became the third tackle to win the 15-year-old award as voted upon by the Football Writers Association of America and sponsored by the Charlotte Touchdown Club.

Dorsey beat out the 2006 Nagur ski winner, linebacker James Lauri naitis of Ohio State, who was vying to become the second player to win in back-to-back years. Northwest ern linebacker Pat Fitzgerald won in 1995 and 1996.

The award comes a day after Dorsey and his teammates found out they would play for the Bowl Championship Series title Jan. 7 against Laurinaitis and Ohio State.

Dorsey has battled injuries this season, including a lower back in jury for the SEC title game, but said he expects to be full-speed for the title game, which will be in New Orleans.

"Without a doubt, I'll be back at 100%," Dorsey said. "You all just don't know how I'm going to enjoy this break, get my body back right and be ready to roll come national championship game. Oh man, I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't played at 100% since what? It's been awhile man since I can say I was 100%. We have five weeks. You don't know how good that sounds. We'll get some rest and be ready."

Dorsey was last 100% in game eight against Auburn.

"Looking back on this whole season, it seems like it was meant to be," said Dorsey, who likely would have gone in the first round of the NFL draft last season despite a shin injury but elected to stay for his senior season.

"This is why I came back," he said. "And the game's in the Su- perdome. Anybody who's from Louisiana who plays football wants to play in the dome. And we get to play the national championship in the dome."

LSU won the last BCS national championship played in the dome in 2003.

"I know our fans are going to be crazy out there," Dorsey said. "Before the game, I'm just going to take it all in."

Now I'm all for supporting this kid's award, but was that little tidbit about being healthy necessary?

USA Today Article on Dorsey winning Nagurski Award

LSU's Dorsey wins Nagurski Trophy as colleges' top defender

From staff reports

LSU tackle Glenn Dorsey on Monday night claimed the 2007 Bronko Nagurski Trophy, annually awarded to the best defensive player in college football. He became the third tackle to win the 15-year-old award as voted upon by the Football Writers Association of America and sponsored by the Charlotte Touchdown Club.

Dorsey beat out the 2006 Nagur ski winner, linebacker James Lauri naitis of Ohio State, who was vying to become the second player to win in back-to-back years. Northwest ern linebacker Pat Fitzgerald won in 1995 and 1996.

The award comes a day after Dorsey and his teammates found out they would play for the Bowl Championship Series title Jan. 7 against Laurinaitis and Ohio State.

Dorsey has battled injuries this season, including a lower back in jury for the SEC title game, but said he expects to be full-speed for the title game, which will be in New Orleans.

"Without a doubt, I'll be back at 100%," Dorsey said. "You all just don't know how I'm going to enjoy this break, get my body back right and be ready to roll come national championship game. Oh man, I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't played at 100% since what? It's been awhile man since I can say I was 100%. We have five weeks. You don't know how good that sounds. We'll get some rest and be ready."

Dorsey was last 100% in game eight against Auburn.

"Looking back on this whole season, it seems like it was meant to be," said Dorsey, who likely would have gone in the first round of the NFL draft last season despite a shin injury but elected to stay for his senior season.

"This is why I came back," he said. "And the game's in the Su- perdome. Anybody who's from Louisiana who plays football wants to play in the dome. And we get to play the national championship in the dome."

LSU won the last BCS national championship played in the dome in 2003.

"I know our fans are going to be crazy out there," Dorsey said. "Before the game, I'm just going to take it all in."

Now I'm all for supporting this kid's award, but was that little tidbit about being healthy necessary?

i don't really see what the problem is. they didn't spend a paragraph talking about the chop block. really, the way its written would lead you to believe that he got hurt in week 9 if you didn't already know about it.

I guess when I read it, because of all the bad press AU got for that play all season, I thought USA Today was jumping on the bandwagon. Re-reading it I realize that it's not all there, and maybe I was a little quick to jump the gun on that one...

I agree... I don't think the article was making a "chop block" against Auburn there. Didn't even mention it.

Well I was going to start a thread on this to see if I could get an answer or someone's opinion. Anyone who watched the SECCG would have heard the announcers go on and on about how Dorsey didn't look like he was playing at 100%. They also kept talking about the reason why that was (Auburn game). It was just little comments like his season could have been so much better, had a bright outlook (before the AU game), and my favorite "the result of a nasty chopblock". Even my friends who are UGA fans were like man, they just won't leave it alone.

I guess my question is Was it as bad or as illegal as they make it out to be??? I never played football so I am not really sure. Some of my buddies that did said it could have been a missed assignment when trying to double team someone. Any thoughts???

he should thank Auburn, without all the added attention he would not have won it.

I can say that because CBS said what they did, oh wait LSU is playing in the MNC.

That chop block made Dorsey a better player.

Guest BoStillKnows

If not for the chop block Dorsey would have won 2 Nagurskis this year

I thought he had a hamstring problem going into the Auburn game but everyone seems to have forgotten that. I was at the game and I have not watched it on TV. When did the infamous chop block happen? I thought Dorsey went down early in the game...maybe twice.

Yeah, but if it hadn't been for that chop block...er...oh well. :)

:au::homer:

Did I watch a different Dorsey this year?

Even LSU fans that I know down here agreed with me.

Dorsey wasn't that great this year. Even before the AU game he was not that much a factor against USC or UF.

After the AU game, he was hurt or whatever but he was never that great.

Not sure why he got the award. He wasn't THAT great at all this year

Dorsey wasn't that great this year. Even before the AU game he was not that much a factor against USC or UF.

See, thats where you are wrong Slink, Dorsey could fly before the chop block. When Dorsey does push ups he doesnt push himself up, he pushes the earth down...that is...before the chop block.

He won the award on reputation alone. No question.

Archived