McCready's take on the Tuberville signing

Tiger1992

I want a loyal coach and I don't think i'm asking for too much.

Way too much. You are asking for something that is absolutely absurd. What fans like us tend to forget is that coaching is a job. If you are a manager at Olive Garden making $75,000/year and Macaroni Grill offers you $95,000, if the OG does not match it would you really give up another $20,000 a year because you think OG has a better salad?

There is no place in college football coaching for loyalty. Shula was loyal to Bama. He lost his job. Solich was loyal to Nebraska and successful. He lost his job.

Rememeber that Turberville was told in the beginning that as long as he beat Bama he would be safe. At half time of the '03 Iron Bowl he was leading by 18 points and was all but fired. Had jetgate not come to light he would have stayed that way. The colleges show no loyalty to the coaches, why should the coaches be held to a higher standard than the schools or for that matter most of us hold ourselves?

I would be like, "I can't believe somebody is paying me $75,000/year to manage an Olive Garden!".

With bonuses at a busy store a GM will bring home well over $100K. To get people to go through the grind that is restaurant management (55 - 70 hour work weeks with no such thing as a sick day) you have to pay them a little something.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want a loyal coach and I don't think i'm asking for too much.

Way too much. You are asking for something that is absolutely absurd. What fans like us tend to forget is that coaching is a job. If you are a manager at Olive Garden making $75,000/year and Macaroni Grill offers you $95,000, if the OG does not match it would you really give up another $20,000 a year because you think OG has a better salad?

There is no place in college football coaching for loyalty. Shula was loyal to Bama. He lost his job. Solich was loyal to Nebraska and successful. He lost his job.

Rememeber that Turberville was told in the beginning that as long as he beat Bama he would be safe. At half time of the '03 Iron Bowl he was leading by 18 points and was all but fired. Had jetgate not come to light he would have stayed that way. The colleges show no loyalty to the coaches, why should the coaches be held to a higher standard than the schools or for that matter most of us hold ourselves?

I would be like, "I can't believe somebody is paying me $75,000/year to manage an Olive Garden!".

U makin fun of Olive Garden??? :no:

If he's just a hired gun as you put it, then why hasn't he hit the road yet? You know full well, there are plenty of teams lined up to offer him more money, but he's happy where he is.

I can give you $6million reasons.

Yep, a 6 million dollar buyout that his own agent did not want him to sign but he did, simply because he wanted job security AT AUBURN. If he was a hired gun, he would have listened to his agent.

The penultimate post on the subject. CTT overruled Sexton back in 2004. He overruled him again in 2007 to end this crap. Sexton overplayed this by a million miles. CTT never talked with anyone, just like he said repeatedly. Sexton was going nuts starting rumors and calling idiot reporters that WERE WANTING CTT GONE ANYWAY trying to get CTT some leverage with AU. CTT just had enough and ended it.Did Sexton talk with any schools? He probably did. Did it amount to CTT "looking?" No way.

Tommy never "wanted" to go anywhere else. He just wanted to know if the AU BOT "wanted" him to stay. I think the message was a very sound yes, it just took sometime to get it.

Like Tex said above, By asking to lower the buyout, and AU refusing to do so, CTT could actually see that AU wanted a guarantee that he would be here a while. It is a convoluted way of testing the BOTs intentions but it worked.

On the other hand, one good conversation 6 weeks ago could have killed off all this drama.

I dont have the cash to be a real insider. I havent won the lottery nor have I made my first million yet. Men that have done that have big egos. It is just part of being human. There were several, including CTT, that may have let their collective egos get in the way of something that was in the end a very simple process.

CTT: "Do you want me here at AU?"

Long long long pause...for various reasons....

AU: "Hell yeah!"

I can not believe how many of you think this article is crap. I for one, think there is probably a whole lot of truth in it.

To me, I just don't think CTT is an "Auburn man" - not like Dye and Shug were anyways. He's a hired gun in sense - just like all the rest of them. But maybe that's what football has come to today. Really sad actually.

What has he done SPECIFICALLY to make you think he isn't an Auburn man? He has invested the last nine years of his life to making Auburn a top quality program (it certainly wasn't when he took it over). He has been well paid for it, but so have most top quality coaches in this era.

I would ask you this. Outside of the money, what has Auburn done for him. The BOT, the president, and the AD tried to stab him in the back a few years ago. This year, after the third game (one of which we won) he had to suffer the indignity of hearing the crowd boo him, his staff, and his players. Now, I wasn't around for Shug, but I was a student during Dye's tenure and he was never subjected to that and I doubt Shug was either. If you think Dye wouldn't have pressed the administration for more money if he had the chance, you are the naive one. That doesn't make him less of an Auburn man, it just shows good sense.

The justification for the booing has been that the game has changed and that this is just a part of it. If that's so, then coaches salaries and negotiations are also a part of it. Just because the contract isn't signed soon enough to suit you doesn't make a hill of beans. I believe that Tubs isn't as worried about his money now. If he was, he'd have had ample opportunities to leave before now. He held out (a couple of days, mind you) to insure a comittment of excellence from the administration. How can you blame him for that?

Three out of 5 posters in this thread have the same avatars. It's confusing, show some originality.

I had it first a long time ago. :cheer:

I have avatars blocked so I don't even see them. It makes things look a lot cleaner.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Funny, I have avatars visible, but posts invisible.

I just like to see who is saying something, not what they are actually saying.

If I knew what you were saying, I'd probably want to punch you in the taint.

Ah, so that's why your posts rarely make sense (jk).

Archived