Global Issue - How come Apartheid was not ok

rexbo

For the life of me, I do not understand why the World has not turned it's attention to the severe repression of women in the Islamic countries. I remember in the 1980's the world focused on South Africa and it's apartheid policies, forcing many large corporations to divest their involvement; and the resulting pressure eventually ended the segregated society. Instead of Al Gore wasting all of his hot air on Global Warming, he could be much more effective in helping the people of the world by focusing on the Islamic enslavement of half of their population.

I have felt this way for a long time, but it really hit home this year. A close female friend of ours visited Iran and was required to wear a head covering the entire time, along with some other very strict rules she had to follow; seeing the pictures of her forced to wear the head covering was very disturbing for me, like the pictures from the 1930's with the Jews wearing a star. And a few weeks ago when I was in Paris, going through Passport control next to a Muslim family, the wife was completely covered head to toe in a burhka. My blood was boiling just standing there; the husband might as well have had her in chains.

So, what's it going to take to wake the world up to the severe abuse of basic human rights for these millions of women?

And on a related note; the Islamic terrorists continue their reign of terror, this time against one of the most respected and freedom loving people in the Muslim world.

Bhutto

I think the Muslims look at our society with BritneySpears, Madona, etc... and the affect it has had on the women in America, and this has caused them to become very reactionary in the attitudes towards gender. The Muslims would look at what we allow our daughters to do and they would find that barbaric and evil. Anyway, what does it matter...America doesn't have the right to tell other nations what culture and values they follow regardless.

Off topic: You picked a bad example. South Africa is now a third world %^#^ hole at the beck and call of China, no thanks to leftists in Britian and America. Whether it offends you are not, the end of Apartheid was the death of that nation. That's the very reason why Ronald Reagan vetoed sanctions passed by congress against our allies in South Africa.

America doesn't have the right to tell other nations what culture and values they follow regardless.

So if another Hitler arose in Germany and started putting the Jews in prison camps, we shouldn't say anything?

Madame Bhutto's assassination has disturbed me all day. I can't get the image of Islamist jihadist having their hands on nuclear weapons out of my mind.

Furthermore, the conviction of the rape victim in Saudi Arabia is far worse than anything la belles Lohan, Hilton, Spears, Spears, or Madonna could imagine. That was not bad taste, bad behavior, or bad judgment. It was out and out cruelty to a young woman (and accompanying young man who was also raped). Their lives have been shattered.

While I don't believe we could go in to Saudi Arabia or Pakistan and create justice, if either were to attack Israel, I would march on Washington until our soldiers liberated Tel Aviv, Haifa, and Jerusalem. I don't tell other parents how to raise their children but I will report cruelty or neglect. It is a matter of degree.

I think the Muslims look at our society with BritneySpears, Madona, etc... and the affect it has had on the women in America, and this has caused them to become very reactionary in the attitudes towards gender. The Muslims would look at what we allow our daughters to do and they would find that barbaric and evil. Anyway, what does it matter...America doesn't have the right to tell other nations what culture and values they follow regardless.

Off topic: You picked a bad example. South Africa is now a third world %^#^ hole at the beck and call of China, no thanks to leftists in Britian and America. Whether it offends you are not, the end of Apartheid was the death of that nation. That's the very reason why Ronald Reagan vetoed sanctions passed by congress against our allies in South Africa.

Congratulations on adding another entry to your legacy of collosally dumb postings.

Archived