McFadden out?

WAR-MATT

Link

Will Darren McFadden be able to play in the Cotton Bowl? Channel 4 and the Razorback Nation has learned the University of Arkansas is looking into compliance issues involving Darren McFadden. The problem is with a new Cadilac Escalade that is reportedly in Darren McFadden's possession. According to an earlier source Darren McFadden was present when sports agent, Mike Conley negotiated the deal for the Escalade at Superior Cadillac, in Fayetteville.

The source said the car was purchased and put in the name of Darren's mother, Mini Muhammed.

We have since spoken to Conley and he says he was not at the dealership with McFadden, nor did he negotiate the deal.

"That is one hundred percent a lie. I would challenge anybody to say that I have ever been at a dealership with Darren McFadden to buy anything," Conley told KARK by phone Thursday evening.

Conley also says he is not a certified football agent and is not representing McFadden.

"I'm not a certified football agent. I'm a certified basketball agent, so, yeah, I don't know what else to say."

KARK talked to the University of Arkansas's Sports Information Director Kevin Trainor. Trainor says the university is aware of reports that Darren McFadden has a new car and they're looking into any NCAA compliance issues that might surround it. The university could not comment any further on the issue. The important question around this issue is D-Mac's eligibility in the Cotton Bowl -- will he play next Tuesday in the Bowl? Stay tuned to Razorback Nation at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. for the latest, and log onto ArkansasMatters.com

<< Back

If noone from the dealership can come forward and uniquivocolly state that the guy was there with McFadden...well, I'd just chalk it up to another rumor out of hand.

He could have gotten a premature loan. They know he's good for it.

True. I am no NCAA rules expert, but couldn't that also be seen as a violation, because the dealership could be seen as a set of boosters?

True. I am no NCAA rules expert, but couldn't that also be seen as a violation, because the dealership could be seen as a set of boosters?

Good point. I mean..where would he get the money for the first payment and/or money down?

Good point. I mean..where would he get the money for the first payment and/or money down?

Actually, there would have been no money changing hands at all in my thought/example. They would have basically been handing him the keys to a new Escalade based on the fact that he could pay them later. Improper benefit is what I smell there.

Maybe, but I would think the short timeframe would make it a loophole. If he's got legal documentation of payment, what can they really do? Also, I can go "buy" a car today on 100% credit, and the first bill might not be due for 3-4 weeks. If he got it last week, then his first bill might not be due until well after their bowl game... when its perfectly legal for him to contact an agent and get some cash.

Should the NCAA really penalize players with NFL asperations by restricting agent contact during the month of December? With all that goes on in the spring, it seems like it couldn't hurt to have a little time to shop out an agent while the season is at a down point.

Maybe, but I would think the short timeframe would make it a loophole. If he's got legal documentation of payment, what can they really do? Also, I can go "buy" a car today on 100% credit, and the first bill might not be due for 3-4 weeks. If he got it last week, then his first bill might not be due until well after their bowl game... when its perfectly legal for him to contact an agent and get some cash.

Should the NCAA really penalize players with NFL asperations by restricting agent contact during the month of December? With all that goes on in the spring, it seems like it couldn't hurt to have a little time to shop out an agent while the season is at a down point.

Good point.

Actually, there would have been no money changing hands at all in my thought/example. They would have basically been handing him the keys to a new Escalade based on the fact that he could pay them later. Improper benefit is what I smell there.

Gotcha.

McFadden will be sitting in the NFL very quickly, I am not sure he cares too much what happens to Paterno's Razorbacks.

I would hope he wouldn't do that to his teammates...but you never know. Look at Reggie.

McFadden will be sitting in the NFL very quickly, I am not sure he cares too much what happens to Paterno's Razorbacks.

Paterno:

Joe%20paterno.jpg

Petrino:

tall_petrino010707~s600x600.jpg

Such anger in those men.

I'm not sure what NCAA policy is on this, but I'll give my perspective. What is to stop banks from loaning money to a player with the expectation of payment farther off. In fact, it makes good business sense to eat a payment of a cadillac for a few months if he may invest millions in your bank a few years down the road.

For example, when I graduated medical school, banks were calling and sending offers for loans with deferred payments left and right, with the expectation that one day i would be able to afford to pay them off and that one day i would set up a business relationship with them. Its business, and I'm not sure how the NCAA could say that was inappropriate benefits if its not a booster and he is locked into repayment legally.

Gotcha.

I would hope he wouldn't do that to his teammates...but you never know. Look at Reggie.

Many kids, like Reggie Bush, realize quickly that they are only there to win games for their coach and school (who both are very well compensated for those wins). That alone might be fuel enough to "take care of yourself" if you get the chance. I really couldn't blame them, and would find it hard not to take on the same attitude if I were in their shoes.

Luckily for me, God didn't put me in that position. <_<

Many kids, like Reggie Bush, realize quickly that they are only there to win games for their coach and school (who both are very well compensated for those wins). That alone might be fuel enough to "take care of yourself" if you get the chance. I really couldn't blame them, and would find it hard not to take on the same attitude if I were in their shoes.

Oh, yeah, I would no doubt look after myself too. But, like Bamagrad said, he could have waited. But, I think we're getting a little out of hand speculating about Darren since it hasn't been proven :) .

Oh, yeah, I would no doubt look after myself too. But, like Bamagrad said, he could have waited. But, I think we're getting a little out of hand speculating about Darren since it hasn't been proven :) .

Kinda like Julio's ride and rolex? B)

Kinda like Julio's ride and rolex? B)

Hey...that might not have been us ;)

Darren's momma had this to say:

“Mike Conley hasn’t bought nothing, and it ain’t in my name,” Muhammad said. “It’s his stepmom’s, Ella McFadden’s. Really, the truck is on loan. Darren drove that down [to Dallas ] to see how he’d like it, and maybe he’d get one later."

Archived