Is it just me or are the BCS bowls so far a flop?

FootballFanatic

Seems like they really messed up the match ups. Most of the games leading up to the BCS games have been more entertaining. 41-10 and 49-17 is just a blow out and not really exciting to watch if you aren't a fan of said school.

Flops? They have been classic examples of why the BCS is a colassal failure. Mid majors get in the way of real football. Missouri should have been in a BCS game. Hawai'i maybe should not have been. The Rose Bowl, the grand dud of all bowl games, insists on this stupid PAC10/Big10 match up even if it lets a mediocre team (Illinois) from a mid major conference (Big 10) in to what is suppossed to be a game for elite programs.

I would have like to have seen:

Rose Bowl Hawai'i/Missouri

Sugar Bowl USC/Georgia

Unfortunately it wasn't as much the Rosebowl as the Sugar Bowl.

The Sugar Bowl gets the top SEC team or the second SEC team if the #1 goes to the MNC. It was going to be tough to overcome that. Rose Bowl really only had a shot at Georgia if LSU missed the MNC.

But overall the match ups suck so far and I expect with a lame duck staff and no head coach that West Virginia will end up getting stomped by Oklahoma.

Hopefully the Big game isn't one sided.

Yeah, I enjoyed watching the first 20 minutes of the Florida/OSU game. Then it got lame. I hate OSU so I had a reason to watch.

I loved every minute of watching the LSU/ND game.

To pac 10 fans or Big east fans the match ups this year have sucked so far and the Florida/OSU game was dull last year. Can't really be sure how some games will go, but we all knew how the USC/Ill game was going to go. No one was sure how Hawaii would really do but Georgia schemed the heck out of the defensive side of the ball and just out talented the Warriors on the Offensive line play to run down their throats.

The Rose bowl was an obvious dud from the start but the safer pick for the Pac 10.

so far its been dull.

Auburn-Clemson, Virginia-Texas Tech, Wisconsin-Tenn, Fla-Michigan. Those were good New Year's Eve and Day bowls, but the BcS games suck so far.

Everyone thought beforehand that USC-Ill would be a flop. And it was.

I wasn't sure about UGA-Hawaii. I thought UGA would win, but I also thought Hawaii would score some points. I'm not sure if Hawaii was off, or UGA was on, or if there really was that much of a difference, but the result was a boring game.

USC-UGA would have been awesome, but instead we got two one-sided boring games. And I don't care about the Orange Bowl or Fiesta Bowl this year either.

Unfortunately it wasn't as much the Rosebowl as the Sugar Bowl.

The Sugar Bowl gets the top SEC team or the second SEC team if the #1 goes to the MNC. It was going to be tough to overcome that. Rose Bowl really only had a shot at Georgia if LSU missed the MNC.

But overall the match ups suck so far and I expect with a lame duck staff and no head coach that West Virginia will end up getting stomped by Oklahoma.

Hopefully the Big game isn't one sided.

I don't know if you are referring to what the Sugar Bowl was going to receive this season or if you meant in general come every season.

Sugar Bowl does not get the Second SEC team. It is all based on the Bowl Selection order. The Rose Bowl lost a Big 10 team and replaced it with a Big 10 team. The Sugar Bowl lost an SEC team and picked up Georgia because they were the best team that remained. Plus, yes, they like the SEC teams. But it isn't a guaranteed "second SEC team."

I think everyone expected the BCS bowls to be a flop this year. Even OU-WVU won't be exciting thanks to RR bolting. VT-UK, that's a snore. OSU-LSU is the only good game people expect.

Actually, I think it's a little ironic that the Rose and Sugar Bowls wound up with "traditional" matchups (Big Televen/Pac10, SEC/at-large). This morning, everyone on the radio is talking about which blowout team is better and might deserve the national title. I expect the AP votes to split along regional lines if the BCS game is close, though the BCS winner will get the majority, I'm sure. Still, it's like we're back in the mid 80's, and the Bowl Games just help confuse the issue more. Congratulations to the BCS for changing almost nothing.

Hawaii is a bunch of ex-cons and was abuot the 7th best team UGA played this year.

Its not really the Rose Bowls or Sugar Bowl's fault, its that stupid "traditional matchups" rule. I think the plus 1 thing will fix that to a large extent. Problem is who should've been the four?

I suppose LSU, OSU, OK, USC with UGA left out cause they didn't win the conference. I know it sucks and I think UGA is a fantastic team, but I think thats really the only fair way of doing it. Plus it still leaves enormous emphasis on the regular season which makes college football great.

Hawaii is a bunch of ex-cons and was abuot the 7th best team UGA played this year.

Its not really the Rose Bowls or Sugar Bowl's fault, its that stupid "traditional matchups" rule. I think the plus 1 thing will fix that to a large extent. Problem is who should've been the four?

I suppose LSU, OSU, OK, USC with UGA left out cause they didn't win the conference. I know it sucks and I think UGA is a fantastic team, but I think thats really the only fair way of doing it. Plus it still leaves enormous emphasis on the regular season which makes college football great.

BINGO. I think the problem with the No Fun League is that individual regular season games just don't have as much meaning as college regular season games.

Lose a regular season game in the pros and you shrug. Lose a regular season game in college and it's a potential catastrophe.

So, yeah, if you can't win your conference or even your division, you don't get to go to the MNC game.

Hawaii had no business whatsoever in a major bowl. The only reason they got in was the Chokelahoma loss to Boise last year, so they needed a cinderella for this year. And the Rose got just what they wanted when they went after a patsy for SC. The real matchup if anyone wanted to see a great game would have been GA against SC in either the Sugar or Rose. The BCS is only interested in getting the NC game halfway right, no one seems interested in setting up the other games so the best teams play each other.

Sugar Bowl does not get the Second SEC team. It is all based on the Bowl Selection order. The Rose Bowl lost a Big 10 team and replaced it with a Big 10 team. The Sugar Bowl lost an SEC team and picked up Georgia because they were the best team that remained. Plus, yes, they like the SEC teams. But it isn't a guaranteed "second SEC team."

Exactly. And since Ohio State is #1 and LSU #2, the Rose Bowl had first pick. They could have taken Georgia away from the Sugar, which I think is why they didn't...they knew the folks in Nawlins still want an SEC team every year as badly as they want the Big Ten-Pac 10 matchup. Of course, like weagle251 said, it makes you wonder if anything's changed in 20 years.

Yeah, these match ups were lame, but you'll be hard pressed ever to see USC in anything other than the Rose Bowl unless they play for the title. I hate the Rose Bowl more than any other bowl out there, but for now, there isn't jack that can be done about it.

Archived