Announcement set for UA-Clemson

JohnDeere

link

Announcement set for UA-Clemson

Posted by Gentry Estes January 03, 2008 7:21 PM

Categories: Football

Looks like that Alabama-Clemson game is finally a done deal.

Per the Associated Press this evening ...

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta committee which organized the Chick-fil-A Bowl is expected to announce final plans on Friday for Clemson and Alabama to open the 2008 season in the Georgia Dome.

Atlanta Sports Council officials have been in negotiations with the schools for months to play the neutral-site game in Atlanta on Aug. 30, with tickets distributed evenly between the schools.

Chick-fil-A Bowl president Gary Stokan said last week plans for the game were put on hold while the committee focused on the bowl game, but he said talks would resume this week. A news conference has been scheduled for Friday afternoon.

Alabama played Florida State in Jacksonville on Sept. 29 this season in a similar neutral-site arrangement. Each team received $2 million for the game. Florida State won, 21-14, before a Jacksonville-record crowd of 85,412.

This makes Clemson (Aug. 30) and Arkansas State (Nov. 1) as confirmed non-conference opponents next season. Alabama remains tentatively set to face Tulane (Sept. 6) and Western Kentucky (TBD). UA officials have not formally released the Crimson Tide's schedule for next season.

Clever title ;)

First thing that came to my mind. It is a repeating pattern; out of conference game, neutral stadium that also hosts ACC/SEC championship and major bowl games.

Also, this will be a lot more neutral than the FSU game was. All I heard when I was down there was "Thanks for coming down" from FSU fans :) .

Once again bama follows us. I guess Jacksonville last year and now this this is only way they can get a decent bowl site and get out of Shreveport.

On well it will be nice to see them start out the year with a loss as "the process" continues.

Once again bama follows us. I guess Jacksonville last year and now this this is only way they can get a decent bowl site and get out of Shreveport.

On well it will be nice to see them start out the year with a loss as "the process" continues.

Your bitterness amuses me.

Your delusion amuses us.

You amuse me Shire... Artard

Your delusion amuses us.

Hah. Your generic Bammer insult isn't relevant to me, unfortunately. Try harder.

Your delusion amuses us.

Hah. Your generic Bammer insult isn't relevant to me, unfortunately. Try harder.

then why respond?

Your delusion amuses us.

then why respond?

Just letting him know so he can try again. You know, the whole silence is consent thing.

Your delusion amuses us.

then why respond?

Just letting him know so he can try again. You know, the whole silence is consent thing.

yes....that's the ticket!

Your delusion amuses us.

Yeah...well, I am rubber and you are glue.

Your delusion amuses us.

Yeah...well, I am rubber and you are glue.

Touche.

I'll be in Atlanta for that game. Go Tigers :) 2 games in one weekend for the second year in a row. (Clemson v/s FSU last year).

I'm sure the City of Atlanta is happy about this matchup, cause they know that the Clemson people will spend money, even if it is $2 bills. My way too early prediction is that Clemson has too many playmakers and wins 28-17.

I think Clemson wins big. Had they hit a few long balls, they would have won big over us (I really don't think their QB was 100%. Also, on the flip side, there were some plays we could have made to allow us to win big, too). With all the talent leaving at Bama, and no immediate answers to the offensive problems, I see Clemson at an advantage on both sides of the ball, especially if Spiller and the other RB stick around.

clemson will destroy alabama. this team was up on florida st to start the year 24-3 at halftime, the real question will be how they will finish the game. i say 31-13 clemson, 9 months out. alabama still doesn't have the athletes.

clemson will destroy alabama. this team was up on florida st to start the year 24-3 at halftime, the real question will be how they will finish the game. i say 31-13 clemson, 9 months out. alabama still doesn't have the athletes.

We'll have a lot more than last year, but they will still be very, very raw.

If I wanted to go to this game, how would I go about getting tickets?

Must I know someone at one of the two schools? or will there be some tickets local similar to bowl games?

now bama will have 3 losses to Tigers next year

I like the idea but I hope they don't over do it. People don't like traveling to the same city for bowl games if they play there within a couple of years. It just seems like a lot of Atlanta for games. I don't have a problem with it because I live here but I just hope it doesn't become boring to come to Atlanta for the teams and the fans.

Archived