E Davis has Decommitted from AU

warjacket

Per Philip Marshall/Huntsville Times blog, Davis is now considering UT, OM, and FSU. Davis does not seem to like the idea of the spread, but obviously has failed to realize that UT is moving that direction also.

Not a done deal, but looks like we might have lost a good one. . . . at least we have 3 solid RB's returning.

I thought this was interesting. On foxsports.com, they have a list of different schools recruits are going to.

Kentucky commit Willie Bohannon has decided to visit Tennessee and Ole Miss. Sound familiar? What are OM and UT telling/doing for these recruits?

I remember reading that as well. The fact that Coach Nall is all for this new offense speaks volumes.

It is my belief that Nall and Ensminger tried to begin the move to the spread in 2003. I don't know what role Nall had is the Nallsminger debacle. But, if you think back to 2003, many of the sets looked like the spread. Shotgun w/ one back. Flex the te out. It wasn't a true spread. I think it was moving in that way, though. One of the many reasons that I like Nall is that it seems that he is on the cutting edge of blocking technique. I have no information on this. But, it wouldn't surprise me if his input weighed heavily on CTT's decision to go to the spread.

They need to show him Oregon Ducks game tapes for this past year. Jonathan Stewart is back in the mold of Enrique Davis. Look at the numbers he put up in the spread this year. 1700 RUSHING YARDS!

I guess maybe when I used the term "featured" back it was a bad choice of words. Johnathan Stewart is a perfect example of what I was getting at. I could definitely see Enrique coming in and being a back very similiar to him, but when you think of Oregon the first thing you think about is Dennis Dixon. In the spread, the QB is sort of the engine that makes the whole thing go. Everybody knows that Steve Slaton is a great back, but without Pat White WVU has a pretty average offense. Even though you may run more than you pass, it is a different style of running game than some people are used to. The spread doesn't line up man on man, power vs. power and blow you off the ball.

My point was that a back can come into this system and roll up tons of yardage, but it won't be in a system that allows him to line up behind a lead blocker and pound the line thirty times a game. Especially over the next couple of years, the touches will be spread pretty thin. The difference is that the touches he could get would be high quality opportunities against a spread out defense.

I really hope we are able to keep this kid. I think he will be the real deal. I think he will have to realize that he will be coming into a situation where he will be one of several stars on the team. If he can handle that, he could be great.

Here are some stats (Total yds & ypc) on the "featured backs" in the spread offenses of some of the big name schools:

Kansas

B. McAnderson.....1,125.....5.9

Jake Sharp............. 821.....5.6

Mizzou

Brad Smith...........1,457.....5.7

WVU

Steve Slaton.........1,051.....5.0

Noel Devine.............627......8.6

Oregon

Jonathan Stewart...1,722....6.2

Illinois

R. Mendenhall.........1,742....6.4

UF

Percy Harvin..............764.....9.2

If young Mr Davis is concerned the spread option is the type of offense that will hurt his stats, then have him look at all the 1,000-yd runners listed above. Also, the lowest ypc stat is Steve Slaton's 5.0. Percy Harvin & Noel Devine didn't run that much compared to Tebow & White, respectively, but dayyum -- look what they accomplished when they did run the ball. Just for comparitive purposes, Bo Jackson's AU career ypc was 6.6.

CTT likes to run the ball. CTF has stated you must run the ball to be successful. AU has a long history of developing strong RBs and putting them in the NFL. Any RB that comes to AU will have ample opportunities to run the ball and add to that legacy regardless of the offense being used.

They need to show him Oregon Ducks game tapes for this past year. Jonathan Stewart is back in the mold of Enrique Davis. Look at the numbers he put up in the spread this year. 1700 RUSHING YARDS!

I guess maybe when I used the term "featured" back it was a bad choice of words. Johnathan Stewart is a perfect example of what I was getting at. I could definitely see Enrique coming in and being a back very similiar to him, but when you think of Oregon the first thing you think about is Dennis Dixon. In the spread, the QB is sort of the engine that makes the whole thing go. Everybody knows that Steve Slaton is a great back, but without Pat White WVU has a pretty average offense. Even though you may run more than you pass, it is a different style of running game than some people are used to. The spread doesn't line up man on man, power vs. power and blow you off the ball.

My point was that a back can come into this system and roll up tons of yardage, but it won't be in a system that allows him to line up behind a lead blocker and pound the line thirty times a game. Especially over the next couple of years, the touches will be spread pretty thin. The difference is that the touches he could get would be high quality opportunities against a spread out defense.

I really hope we are able to keep this kid. I think he will be the real deal. I think he will have to realize that he will be coming into a situation where he will be one of several stars on the team. If he can handle that, he could be great.

Here are some stats (Total yds & ypc) on the "featured backs" in the spread offenses of some of the big name schools:

Kansas

B. McAnderson.....1,125.....5.9

Jake Sharp............. 821.....5.6

Mizzou

Brad Smith...........1,457.....5.7

WVU

Steve Slaton.........1,051.....5.0

Noel Devine.............627......8.6

Oregon

Jonathan Stewart...1,722....6.2

Illinois

R. Mendenhall.........1,742....6.4

UF

Percy Harvin..............764.....9.2

If young Mr Davis is concerned the spread option is the type of offense that will hurt his stats, then have him look at all the 1,000-yd runners listed above. Also, the lowest ypc stat is Steve Slaton's 5.0. Percy Harvin & Noel Devine didn't run that much compared to Tebow & White, respectively, but dayyum -- look what they accomplished when they did run the ball. Just for comparitive purposes, Bo Jackson's AU career ypc was 6.6.

CTT likes to run the ball. CTF has stated you must run the ball to be successful. AU has a long history of developing strong RBs and putting them in the NFL. Any RB that comes to AU will have ample opportunities to run the ball and add to that legacy regardless of the offense being used.

Good points. Other points for CTT to make are that he's coached at AU and OM and there's a big difference in amount of attention the two programs get. Most AU games are on TV. Much more exposure than OM.

I thought this was interesting. On foxsports.com, they have a list of different schools recruits are going to.

Kentucky commit Willie Bohannon has decided to visit Tennessee and Ole Miss. Sound familiar? What are OM and UT telling/doing for these recruits?

I think you are spot on with this comment. The "change to the spread" is a convenient answer to get out of a verbal commitment. I would suspect it has more to do with the depth chart at these schools. Enrique would certainly be behind Lester, Fannin and Tate for touches this year. The man who brought us D-Mac and molded his offense around that one specific player needs a featured back. I can't even think of the starting RB at UT right now without lookig it up. Maybe he stays with Auburn, those stats posted by sogaaufan are telling numbers, but if he goes I don't think it truthfully was because of Franklin and the spread.

Yeah there have been alot of rb's put up some great numbers in college but for the life of me, I cant recall a RB right now in the NFL that is having success that played in a spread system in college. I know the spread sytem is relatively young in college compared to other systems but the NFL has yet to adapt to the spread and is more a traditonal west coast or power I offence league. That may be what Davis is looking at. Auburn has a great history of preparing running backs for the NFL but that was under a more traditional nfl style offense. Now, if he is seriously considering Oregon(which I dont feel he really is) than this is all bunk.

I would argue that the spread is completely new to major colleges. Texas Tech, Kentucky, Troy, etc... these are not the same kinds of programs or athletes as Florida or Auburn or some of the new spread teams. You might say that Oregon and WVU are kind of in between the two, but those schools have only been running the spread for about 4-5 years, which means the seniors this year are really the first group to be recruited for it. Wait to see what happens with Slaton and Stewart and White and Darius Reynaud before you pass judgment on the fate of spread skill players.

I would argue that the spread is completely new to major colleges. Texas Tech, Kentucky, Troy, etc... these are not the same kinds of programs or athletes as Florida or Auburn or some of the new spread teams. You might say that Oregon and WVU are kind of in between the two, but those schools have only been running the spread for about 4-5 years, which means the seniors this year are really the first group to be recruited for it. Wait to see what happens with Slaton and Stewart and White and Darius Reynaud before you pass judgment on the fate of spread skill players.

i wasnt passing judgment just trying to give a reason why davis may be wary of going to a spread team. I also agree with you that the spread is new to major college teams and it will be interesting to see how these athletes transfer over to the NFL. But you also have remember these "top recruits" main goal is to get to the NFL and have success and they want to go somewhere that will put them in the best position to achieve that. I hope slaton, stewart, etc do have success in the NFL because that will be beneficial to Auburn down the line but you cant blame a kid for being a little skeptical of the system. I hope he does end up coming to Auburn but if he doesnt I wish him the best of luck.

Do any pro teams run the spread? What the Pats have been doing all season looks a lot like a pass heavy version of the spread offense, just without all the reverses, shovel passes and stuff.

I think you are spot on with this comment. The "change to the spread" is a convenient answer to get out of a verbal commitment. I would suspect it has more to do with the depth chart at these schools. Enrique would certainly be behind Lester, Fannin and Tate for touches this year. The man who brought us D-Mac and molded his offense around that one specific player needs a featured back. I can't even think of the starting RB at UT right now without lookig it up. Maybe he stays with Auburn, those stats posted by sogaaufan are telling numbers, but if he goes I don't think it truthfully was because of Franklin and the spread.

Bingo. I think he sees that he will, or at least could, come into any of the other schools and be "the man" as opposed to sharing with Lester, Fanning, Smith, Burns, etc. I think that Franklin 7 the spread is an easier "out" for now. He may end up here and he may not. I do, however, appreciate the fact he publicly de-commited now as opposed to waiting til signing day and flushing us to everyone's surprise. At least that gives our coaches an opportunity to heavily pursue a replacement if needed.

Sigh. Lester is a SR next year. Fannin is being moved to WR and wont even be listed as a RB on the depth chart.

You dont even know who the RB at UT is? Then you might want to do some research. Arian Foster rushed for 1200 yards this year and 12 TDs. He also had nearly 350 yards receiving. That is more production than any RB at Auburn this year. He will be a returning SR next year. The backups at UT are ALL former Rivals 100 recruits. True freshman Lennon Creer played this year and he was the #6 RB on Rivals last year.

Yeah, this is clearly a depth chart thing :rolleyes:

I think WVU and Oregon are great examples of what a good RB can do in that type offense. Also, if you look back at our offensive totals for the Clemson game, we had very good rushing numbers and great balance overall. Fannin was far more involved than he was at any other time during the year and I doubt you'd hear many complaints from Lester or Tate about their touches and how they were used.

My thinking is more along the lines of if a guy is a great athlete, a good OC will make sure he gets the ball enough to help the offense AND show what he can do. The NFL evaluates these guys based on a multitude of different skills and not just pounding the ball between the tackles. They don't just look at a 1200 yard rushing total for the year and say, well he must be good. I would venture a guess that the majority of NFL running backs are comprised of guys that weren't necessarily 1000 yard rushers every year in college, but are players who showed they can do a number of things well.

Sigh. Lester is a SR next year. Fannin is being moved to WR and wont even be listed as a RB on the depth chart.

You dont even know who the RB at UT is? Then you might want to do some research. Arian Foster rushed for 1200 yards this year and 12 TDs. He also had nearly 350 yards receiving. That is more production than any RB at Auburn this year. He will be a returning SR next year. The backups at UT are ALL former Rivals 100 recruits. True freshman Lennon Creer played this year and he was the #6 RB on Rivals last year.

Sigh... I think you are letting everyone’s respect for your vast knowledge of recruiting and rosters get to your head and you are now coming off as pompous...sigh.

I said "touches", that could be from any position on the field for those players I mentioned, not just at RB. And Lester being a SR doesn't have anything to do with "this" year (2008). And I was sort of being a smartass with the UT comment, but I guess you put me in my place. Not to mention that I think I have even read you state (or at least many others) that it doesn't matter what your rivals ranking is until you produce on the field. My point is, whatever top 100 players UT has, that doesn't mean that Phil Fulmer is not still selling Enrique that he will be the feature back at UT. Remember the big back out of Georgia that UT stole at the eleventh hour from UGA, his name slips my mind (maybe Jabari Davis), it was a big deal at the time. UT was loaded in the backfield then as well, but it happened similarly.

It was all conjecture, sorry if I offended.

My point is, whatever top 100 players UT has, that doesn't mean that Phil Fulmer is not still selling Enrique that he will be the feature back at UT.

Davis will not be the feature back at Tennessee next year. He'd have to be a complete moron if Fulmer was actually selling that to him and he was buying it.

I'm not trying to be pompous, but I've explained this about 50 times on several different boards and people still have these ridiculous theories which flat out make no sense, when the obvious answer is clear and has been stated countless times.

Yes....Davis waited until 3 weeks before signing day before he decided that the depth chart at Auburn was too challenging? LMAO. A kid that has been committed for a solid year and a half now?

FACT: Davis loved Auburn when Borges was here.

FACT: Davis de-commits from Auburn after Borges leaves.

Did the depth chart somehow change between Borges and Franklin? Uhhh, no. In fact it got even more favorable as one of his biggest competitors (Fannin) is now being looked at for a different role on the team. Its not a depth chart issue.

Davis will not be the feature back at Tennessee next year. He'd have to be a complete moron if Fulmer was actually selling that to him and he was buying it.

I'm not trying to be pompous, but I've explained this about 50 times on several different boards and people still have these ridiculous theories which flat out make no sense, when the obvious answer is clear and has been stated countless times.

Yes....Davis waited until 3 weeks before signing day before he decided that the depth chart at Auburn was too challenging? LMAO. A kid that has been committed for a solid year and a half now?

FACT: Davis loved Auburn when Borges was here.

FACT: Davis de-commits from Auburn after Borges leaves.

Did the depth chart somehow change between Borges and Franklin? Uhhh, no. In fact it got even more favorable as one of his biggest competitors (Fannin) is now being looked at for a different role on the team. Its not a depth chart issue.

I don't mean to argue with you about it for the simple fact that I do not claim to know as much as you appear to know about recruiting and rosters. I simply do not have that much time to spend on the information to be that knowledgeable. Honestly, I get most of my information here, in fact probably from reading your posts. My original point was an opinion. It is not my fault that you feel the need to correct any and every post about recruiting opinions and mine simply happened to be the 51st one on the exact point. But your reply still came off as pompous, yet knowledgeable. It must be wearisome for you leading up to signing day. :poke:

(By the way, my opinion applies to the Houston Nutt/Ole Miss angle, but you scooted over that part of the post. And if you don't think Phil Fulmer is a "crafty" recruiter, then I don't think you are giving him enough credit.)

Now, after reading your post, I do agree that our depth chart has opened up with the coaching change. Maybe I'm wrong, but again, I was only stating an alternative opinion. Doesn't mean I disagree with your information, or that I don't feel that the visit from Franklin and Tuberville will sway him back to AU, I just don't think changing to the spread is a reason, yet more of an excuse (weather consciously or subconsciously). Now, I agree, maybe he simply doesn't like or know well enough Coach Tony Franklin. Hopefully he does land at Auburn. Any updates on the chances of that happening?

Archived