Hawaii Player: UGA got "lucky" in Sugar Bowl

SouthLink02

As a former player, I'm tired of hearing fans and the media say that we were overmatched by bigger, faster, stronger players.

Georgia players are no different than us; the problem was they came to play and we didn't.

Georgia was dominant, not only because they were good athletes, but because their scheme put them in the best position to win.

If Hawai'i (offense) had done the same and utilized/adjusted their scheme to put themselves in the best position, we would not be in the mess we are in now. Believe me, our budget and facilities have nothing to do with what goes on on the field. It's up to the players, and I know for a fact they are looking forward to Florida.

Georgia got lucky, and I say that from a player's point of view. We gave up big plays, which at the end killed us.

But it's over; let's all talk about how we are going to support the program. Let's sell out every game from here on out.

Lene Amosa

Honolulu

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/...i801220304.html

Did we watch the same game? :blink::blink::blink::blink:

I watched the game that UGA played in and it looked to me as if luck had nothing to do with it, they (Hawaii) were highly over matched, out-played, and basically ran all over.

This is from a fan's point of view that actually watched the game with a sense of football knowledge.

There's not a scheme in the world that could have leveled the playing field that night. UGA could have run the Wing T and still won that game.

UGA got lucky when all those players signed letters of intent. It sealed Hawaii's fate then and there. I say that from a fan's perspective. UGA got lucky.

I watched the game that UGA played in and it looked to me as if luck had nothing to do with it, they (Hawaii) were highly over matched, out-played, and basically ran all over.

This is from a fan's point of view that actually watched the game with a sense of football knowledge.

Hawaii was the 7th best team UGA played this year:

(in no particular order)

Tennessee

Florida

Alabama

Auburn

GT

Ky

all would've beaten hawaii.

It was obvious UHs first possession of the ball game that there was a HUGE mismatch!!! UGA DL blowing through the UH OL. Brennan running for his life at least 2 of the first 3 plays. I agree with scottie, I think a majority if not all of the SEC teams would have beaten UH. UK would have beat them like 72-65, everybody else has a decent enough front 7 to pressure Brennan. Ole Miss probably could have scored 35+ on them. Their D is horribly undersized! That guy is an idiot, trying to downsize their beatdown!!

If 2 DL's, 2 CB's, a LB, & 2 safeties had all fallen down and GA completed a 64 yard pass and then lateraled the ball twice for a touchdown on the last play of the game I could go along with UGA got "lucky". But since the score was what it was, I have to believe Hawaii was a mid level team playing a very good SEC team and had their butts handed to them. No surprise and not lucky.

That only lucky team there was Hawaii. ..............They were VERY lucky to even be considered to play in the Sugar Bowl and even more lucky to actually be chosen.

Hawaii was the 7th best team UGA played this year:

(in no particular order)

Tennessee

Florida

Alabama

Auburn

GT

Ky

all would've beaten hawaii.

I can buy any of those except UAT and GT. UAT lost to ULM (enough said) and GT got drilled in their bowl game by a team UH beat (Fresno). Now its not for sure that UH would have won those games (no win is ever for sure), but they are a far cry from being able to say theyd definitely beat UH.

i seriously doubt that hawaii could even beat troy, ucf, or usf.

ok.

they probably would've gone 2-1 against those teams. Could beat any of them, could lose.

I think its more likely theyd be 3-0. UH wasnt THAT bad. UGA just gave them all kinds of matchup problems, and UGA was probably the hottest team in the country then. The way they were playing theres a good chance they would have beat LSU or OSU.

I have followed the Hawaii football program for many years, because they are a fun team to watch if you like offense. While this was the best Hawaii team ever, the program is light years away from competing with an elite SEC program in every respect, and I made this point before the game was played. Anyone playing attention would have known a beatdown was unavoidable.

While 12-0 deserves some degree of respect, it was the pollsters who put Hawaii in a BCS bowl, not really the play of the Hawaii football team. Had more (any) pollsters watched the Hawaii games instead of just looking at the record, noticed how they struggled to barely defeat mediocre teams down the stretch, noticed they played 2 Div. 1-AA teams, and beat only 1 BCS conference opponent, they would never have voted Hawaii in the top 12.

The other side of the coin is that UGA fans should take the victory with a grain of salt. UGA looked unbeatable in the Sugar Bowl, but they did manage to lose to 2 not-so-elite SEC teams during the regular season. Before UGA becomes the foregone conclusion as the preseason No.1, take a look at the 2008 schedule.

DATE OPPONENT

8-30-08 GEORGIA SOUTHERN

9-6-08 CENTRAL MICHIGAN

9-13-08 at South Carolina

9-20-08 at Arizona State

9-27-08 ALABAMA

10-11-08 TENNESSEE

10-18-08 VANDERBILT

10-25-08 at Louisiana State

11-1-08 vs. Florida @Jacksonville, FL

11-8-08 at Kentucky

11-15-08 at Auburn

11-29-08 GEORGIA TECH

Those are two tough stretches even for an elite team like UGA. The Alabama, LSU, Florida, and Auburn games are going to be really difficult and UGA may not be able to manage more than a split.

I have followed the Hawaii football program for many years, because they are a fun team to watch if you like offense. While this was the best Hawaii team ever, the program is light years away from competing with an elite SEC program in every respect, and I made this point before the game was played. Anyone playing attention would have known a beatdown was unavoidable.

While 12-0 deserves some degree of respect, it was the pollsters who put Hawaii in a BCS bowl, not really the play of the Hawaii football team. Had more (any) pollsters watched the Hawaii games instead of just looking at the record, noticed how they struggled to barely defeat mediocre teams down the stretch, noticed they played 2 Div. 1-AA teams, and beat only 1 BCS conference opponent, they would never have voted Hawaii in the top 12.

The other side of the coin is that UGA fans should take the victory with a grain of salt. UGA looked unbeatable in the Sugar Bowl, but they did manage to lose to 2 not-so-elite SEC teams during the regular season. Before UGA becomes the foregone conclusion as the preseason No.1, take a look at the 2008 schedule.

DATE OPPONENT

8-30-08 GEORGIA SOUTHERN

9-6-08 CENTRAL MICHIGAN

9-13-08 at South Carolina

9-20-08 at Arizona State

9-27-08 ALABAMA

10-11-08 TENNESSEE

10-18-08 VANDERBILT

10-25-08 at Louisiana State

11-1-08 vs. Florida @Jacksonville, FL

11-8-08 at Kentucky

11-15-08 at Auburn

11-29-08 GEORGIA TECH

Those are two tough stretches even for an elite team like UGA. The Alabama, LSU, Florida, and Auburn games are going to be really difficult and UGA may not be able to manage more than a split.

This is one thing that has really bugged me. We shouldnt rank team highly because of future games they might lose? I mean its not enough that people look so much at record and not enough at how good the team actually is these days, but now we rank teams who we think could more easily win their games higher. A strong schedule should not cause you to be ranked lower before the games are ever played. That just doesnt make any sense.

Archived