DMB, Grateful Dead endorse Obama

RunInRed

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/p...ahamfelsen/C7nS

Dear Friends,

I hope this finds you well.

A question, a reflection, and an endorsement.

Why is our country divided?

Why has this division been growing?

Can we not all agree that we are a country that supports its families, that protects its citizens and respects its neighbors?

A country that educates its children?

Are we not a country that can lead by example rather than by force?

Is ours a government of the people, by the people, for the people?

I would like to think so.

But I believe that corporate greed and its involvement in policy making, along with political cronyism have made it nearly impossible for the people to govern.

So we fight amongst ourselves over the spin of political slogans and half truths.

And so we are divided.

It is time for a change and that is why I support Barack Obama for President.

Respectfully,

Dave Matthews

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...a-benefit-show/

Barack Obama wants to bring America together, and he has started with the Grateful Dead. The feuding members of the fabled Sixties psychedelic rock group dissolved their business operations several years ago. But last night at the Warfield Theater before a sold out election eve crowd, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh and Mickey Hart were singing “Come Together” on behalf of the Obama campaign in San Francisco.

Before the show, the three living Dead faced the press in a curtained-off nook of the Warfield basement; they had just finished a ninety-minute afternoon soundcheck that would serve as the show’s sole rehearsal. “I think that we all knew Obama was the guy for us, but we hadn’t talked about it because we’d all been doing our own thing,” said bassist Phil Lesh. Mickey Hart admitted that band members hadn’t seen each other in “years and years.” But “we knew instinctively, intuitively that we were all together on this,” said Bob Weir. “We came together and we’re doing it.”

Lesh was behind the sold out “Deadheads For Obama ‘08″ rally at the Warfield Theater. His eighteen-year-old son Brian has been working as an Obama volunteer and Lesh described seeing Obama speak at a rally last fall in Brooklyn as “one of the most electrifying experiences in my life.” The Obama campaign contacted him about putting together a get-out-the-vote concert.

“The first thing I thought of was to talk to these two guys and say ‘Hey, are you with me on this?’ ” said Lesh. “Not only am I with you on this,” said Hart, “I was just about to call you up for the very same reason.” Obama, who has never attended a Dead concert but is said to have Dead music on his iPod, filmed a special video message for the Deadheads at last night’s concert.

I love Dave Matthews music. But dude is a pot smoking hippie that questions everything from government to whether we came from a bunch of monkies all s***ting in the woods together.

And Greatful Dead....really? You are bragging on that??? Have you listened to them talk or actually seen the people that follow them around?

I'm not "bragging" on any of it. Personally, I think endorsements are pretty overrated. I did like what Oprah has said though: "I don't want to tell people what to think, I'm telling people to think."

If rockers are invovled, you KNOW things have gotten bad. Has Dave Mathews dumped his bathroom storage tank off any more bridges lately ?

:roflol:

Alice Cooper said it best, that rock stars are the LAST to take your poliitcal leads.

Archived