Brady out at LSU

WarTiger

Linky Dinky

LSU's free fall since Final Four appearance leads to Brady's firing

Associated Press

Updated: February 8, 2008, 5:26 PM ET

LSU Fires Basketball Head Coach John Brady

BATON ROUGE, La. -- John Brady was fired as LSU's men's basketball coach Friday with his team struggling at 8-13, a dismissal that left him in tears at a farewell news conference.

"I've coached in the best league in the country and I've coached a lot of great guys," Brady said during the afternoon news conference with LSU Tigers athletic director Skip Bertman. "They've done some great things that had not been done here in a long time."

Brady is the third-winningest coach in the university's history. His 192-139 record included two first-place finishes in the SEC and a trip to the 2006 Final Four.

But after that 27-9 finish, the team fell to 17-15 last season, with a 5-11 conference mark, and things got worse this season, with just one win in seven SEC games.

Associate head coach Butch Pierre will take over for the rest of the season.

Brady's wife sobbed openly during the news conference while Brady spoke haltingly, wiping away tears by the end of a long, sometimes rambling statement. He noted that he inherited an LSU program 10 years ago that was facing stiff penalties for NCAA violations and that it was on probation when he won his first SEC championship in his third year.

"Under those circumstances it's a pretty good 10-year run," Brady said.

Brady said he was too competitive to quit but respected Bertman's decision to dismiss him.

Bertman said he was concerned about falling attendance at home games, but that "the ultimate reason John was fired was not attendance. They just didn't win enough games."

Still, while women's basketball game attendance has grown to more than 6,000 fans per game, men's basketball is averaging just 8,240 this year, Bertman said. Season-ticket sales remained at about 7,000 even after the trip to the Final Four.

"I wouldn't blame the basketball coach for attendance," Bertman said. "They won 18 games in a row there and attendance did not increase."

Bertman said he had planned to fire Brady after Saturday's game against Tennessee, which would put LSU at the midway point in its SEC schedule. But he moved it up because he was afraid word of the dismissal would leak to Brady or the team.

Bertman, who is retiring June 30, will hire a search firm to help find a new coach.

Bertman said he would not contact any potential coach until the season, and if necessary the postseason, is over.

Brady has three years left on his contract. Bertman said Brady will get his base salary of $300,000 a year unless he is hired somewhere else.

Brady had replaced longtime coach Dale Brown, who finished his career with four losing seasons and a bitter NCAA investigation.

The NCAA found that a former booster paid player Lester Earl about $5,000 while he was attending LSU. The Tigers were placed on probation in 1998, lost three scholarships, and were restricted on how the remaining scholarships could be given.

My son goes to LSU and he said they should have fired him last year. He was glad. He was in the Bengal Brass so he has attended a lot of games there.

And we lost to them...

I like that. A very subtle point hidden in such few words. Help me out though, which one is it:

"AU sucks" or "We should fire Lebo"

Or is it perhaps both?

We also lost to them in football. Should we fire Tuberville? After all, he didn't go 1-1 with them, he went a detestable 0-1.

And we lost to them...

I like that. A very subtle point hidden in such few words. Help me out though, which one is it:

Or is it perhaps both?

We also lost to them in football. Should we fire Tuberville? After all, he didn't go 1-1 with them, he went a detestable 0-1.

Well they did win the NC.

And we lost to them...

Or is it perhaps both?

Again, you probably have the lowest IQ on this board. And that says something...

Find one post that I stated we should fire Lebo. Just One. Come on. If you can find it, I'll leave this board forever. Maybe if you got your head out of your ass, you would realize that I have defended Lebo and like him as a coach. Again, I make fun of Auburn basketball fans that are delusional, such as yourself. What a moron...

And we lost to them...

Or is it perhaps both?

Again, you probably have the lowest IQ on this board. And that says something...

Find one post that I stated we should fire Lebo. Just One. Come on. If you can find it, I'll leave this board forever. Maybe if you got your head out of your ass, you would realize that I have defended Lebo and like him as a coach. Again, I make fun of Auburn basketball fans that are delusional, such as yourself. What a moron...

bigsixfive, didn't you say on here one time that you were working on the autonomous tractor? If this is true, then you must work for Dr. Bevly and that would mean you probably have one of the highest IQ's on this board.

And we lost to them...

Or is it perhaps both?

While you haven't exactly said it point blank, its the only thing you haven't said about the basketball program. All you've done is say repeatedly, you are tired of hearing the excuses. You say: facilities don't matter, injuries don't matter, number of players available don't matter. You've said our inability to shoot free throws falls on coaching, taking bad shots falls on coaching, poor defense falls on coaching...etc... These are all things you've said here concerning the basketball program. What else are we to deduce from this other than you want lebo fired. While you haven't said it directly in those words, its the ONLY solution left that could be rattling in that empty head of yours. Now that this is cleared up, good luck finding that team that makes you happy. You certainly won't be missed here.

Brady down, CMG next...I hope.

No, screw that

Felton is next.

Then CMG

At least he has done something worth a crap at Bama

We can't even play with Georgia A&M or Augusta State (literally)

Yea I have stated parts of those things, but not entirely, nor quoted it to poor coaching. I also have come out and stated that I thought Lebo is a good coach. I have no problem giving him another couple of years.

I never said those things "result from coaching." Poor facilities has nothing to do with coaching. I have stated that we have had good recruiting (even though I don't follow it closely). Actually, if I recall correctly, I was replying to someone who stated we had a strong recruiting class despite the fact that we have poor facilities. So nope, didn't blame coaching there.

I never stated anything about bad shots being a result from poor coaching either. Again, if I recall correctly, I stated that Reed's shot in the UK game was bad, but had he made it or if it were closer, people wouldn't complain. So I was not on the list that bashed Lebo for that either.

Missed free thows, again I didn't blame on the coaching. The players are at fault on that one. And we have had poor FT shooting for the longest time at Auburn.

Man WarTiger, you are just full of being wrong in that post. But what else is new?

So I think I'll stick around a bit longer because A) I was not proven wrong and B) I just love to piss you off because I'm right and you are wrong.

It's amazing how people can't comprehend on this board.

Yea I have stated parts of those things, but not entirely, nor quoted it to poor coaching. I also have come out and stated that I thought Lebo is a good coach. I have no problem giving him another couple of years.

I never said those things "result from coaching." Poor facilities has nothing to do with coaching. I have stated that we have had good recruiting (even though I don't follow it closely). Actually, if I recall correctly, I was replying to someone who stated we had a strong recruiting class despite the fact that we have poor facilities. So nope, didn't blame coaching there.

I never stated anything about bad shots being a result from poor coaching either. Again, if I recall correctly, I stated that Reed's shot in the UK game was bad, but had he made it or if it were closer, people wouldn't complain. So I was not on the list that bashed Lebo for that either.

Missed free thows, again I didn't blame on the coaching. The players are at fault on that one. And we have had poor FT shooting for the longest time at Auburn.

Man WarTiger, you are just full of being wrong in that post. But what else is new?

So I think I'll stick around a bit longer because A) I was not proven wrong and B) I just love to piss you off because I'm right and you are wrong.

It's amazing how people can't comprehend on this board.

Oh really? never blamed the coaching, huh? Geez, PC, you rip so many aspects of the university that you can't keep your story straight. I know the truth hurts, but here you go....

AU Basketball is just pathetic. The free throw line to Auburn basketball is like the endzone to Alabama football. Coaching at Auburn basketball = coaching at Alabama football.

Sometimes I just wonder if there is any intelligence in sports. Who the hell plays fast-break basketball the entire game, then inside a minute stops (which therefore allows the other team to get the last shot of the half). Of course, they decide to try to move the ball with 9 seconds left on the shot clock and don't even get a shot off. Freakin pathetic.

I know you'll come back with a really profound insult because you WERE proven wrong. Yes its very obvious you think coaching is the problem, but if we fired lebo you would just come back with something else that didn't make you happy. NOTHING makes you happy. No, you don't piss me off....I really feel sorry for you.

You are a very sad case pc. I don't understand how somebody that "allegedly" attended Auburn university and reaps all the benefits of attending such a fine institution, can hate that institution so much. You really need to explain why you, hate auburn so much? What drives your hatred? What makes you choose to rip every aspect of the university? and lastly, What makes you think you know so much more about this university - that you spend every waking hour bashing to shreds - than every one else here. There are people here that actually lived during the 50's and 60's and were and still are heavily involved in the university. You are supposed to have a degree from auburn yet here you act like you are 12 years old. When will you grow up? It really sickens me that you really consider yourself a fan of this university. There are rivals here such as bamagrad, southlink, and a few others that give auburn way more credit in one post than you have your entire time here. Why is that? What did the university do to you to make you hate it so much? Did they deny you entrance to a football game? basketball game? oh, wait, you don't like Auburn so why would you go to a game? Nevermind. Seriously, what is it? I'd really like to know. I've been reading your anti-auburn posts here for years and have ripped you for it. Now, I've realized that you are what you are...very, very sad case and I'd like to know why?

I've been an Auburn fan practically since i was born. My father attended Auburn, so I was born into it. My circumstances didn't afford me the opportunity to attend Auburn like I would have liked. Maybe I'll get that opportunity one day. You are never too old, right? The thing is, I see things happen at auburn that i may not agree with or be happy with, but I'm not going to spend my life ripping the university apart like you are doing here. I took a lot of heat here a few years ago, (may have been before you got here, don't know) when I said, I didn't like Housel as AD and didn't trust the man. I still don't trust the man and I'm glad he's not at Auburn anymore. I said then that I had this feeling that he would do something to undermine our university, and guess what. I was right...2003 and here comes jetgate. He had a choice to get on that plane or not and he made the wrong choice. Then, what do we do? We name the freakin' press box after the man. I threw up when I heard that. Now, i know there are people here that think housel is a great man and did great things for auburn and that may be true, but in my view, he screwed the university. That press box should have been named after Jim Fyffe Immediately after he passed. So, see, I'm able to be disappointed in something that happens at the university, yet not constantly ripping every aspect of our university.

I honestly don't recall stating "coaching Auburn basketball = coaching Alabama football" because I think Bama has a good coach. But come on, if that is the best you can find. If that is the closest thing you can find to me bashing on Lebo, then I guess you got me. Yea, I am soo harsh on Lebo. I compared him to Bama coaching. Man, that is just so harsh. Have you compared me to GG and AUesquire and the others that want him gone. Geez, get a clue. Find a post where I state that I think he should be gone or fired. Or that we need a new coach. You won't because I haven't stated it.

And I don't know why you continue to think I hate Auburn. I don't. I stated that I got pissed about some decisions the administration had made a couple years ago, but please get past that. I did. I love Auburn and you have no idea.

I took Titan on once about trying to prove my hatred of Auburn by finding one negative post on Auburn football or the university. He did try and stated that he was wrong and that what was mostly "not-positive" was indeed just that. It wasn't negative on Auburn at all.

Fact is, you are correct that a lot of my posts aren't positive. But they aren't negative towards Auburn University or the football program, or whatnot. When it appears I am being negative, I am only being negative towards the FANS. I can't stand delusional fans. I take what they state and I call them out on it or I argue them to argue their point. Even if it comes across as being negative, I'm really just calling people out on what they state. My initial post / response is not negative, but only a mere question. Then someone says what I stated was negative and thus I clarify myself. If someone tries to answer my question, they generally don't, so I continue to call them out on it. That's not being negative towards Auburn, but the fans on this message board.

Yes, I've complained about the basketball program. But as I state over and over again, I am making fun of the delusional fans. Auburn is not known for basketball. I still support them. I think the program is in a rough stage right now, but nothing wrong with that. And if you want to point to my one or two remarks on Auburn basketball like "And we lost o them..." I am just teasing and pointing out how troubled our program is right now.

Yes, I know I was disappointed with the recruiting results last week, but again that was to how some of the fans responded by claiming Saban has a losing record to Tuberville and that we have beaten Alabama so many times recently (when that has no impact on the what the signing class will actually do in the future). I was more frustrated with how well Alabama did compared to Auburn. Auburn didn't do bad - it was just poor compared to how well Alabama did.

Anything I have stated "negative" towards Auburn, I have shared with other programs, like Alabama. The difference is - any heat I can dish to another school, I can dish to my own. Maybe this is an "Auburn" board and that is frowned upon, but at least I'm fair. I make fun of Alabama a lot. But you sidestep those.

Anyone who can't take what I say seriously is the same drunk student at the football game that gets pissed off when the opposing fans cheer when their team scores a Touchdown. You know what I mean. For example, UF scores a Touchdown early in the second half and the fan near me screams "oooo good job! You scored a touchdown! Whoop-de-doo! That is what you are supposed to do." God those fans piss me off. Oooo, but that same fan cheers when Auburn scores.

But come on dude, find where my hatred towards Auburn lies. You won't find it.

Quickly, because the grill's hot, I've got some burgers to flip, several impatient customers, and a manager trying to hit on me:

Again, you should probably refrain from making bold assertions about the people you converse with seeing as how you really don't know who they are.

Again, I'll admit I'm no where near the brightest person on this board. Let's take your claim: I have the lowest IQ. What does my IQ score have anything to do with what I said?

Again, I'm not wasting my time looking stuff up for you. Your stance is well known to nearly everyone here.

No comment on the current location of my head...

Again, "this program sucks, Auburn sucks, there's no hope, nothing's changed, nothing's going to," isn't supporting the team, the coach, or the school.

There are one, maybe two, groups of people that should be poked at on this board. This is probably news to you, but Auburn folks aren't in either one of those groups.

Your perception of every other fan being delusional is part of your persistent pessimism pertaining to all things Auburn. Has it ever occurred to you the delusional person just might not be everyone else, that there might be something wrong with your thought process? Reasonable explanations aren't deluded fairy tales made up to keep the Auburn program high and mighty. Well. from your point of view they are, but they're not to everyone else.

bigsixfive, didn't you say on here one time that you were working on the autonomous tractor? If this is true, then you must work for Dr. Bevly and that would mean you probably have one of the highest IQ's on this board.

I work on other things, but apparently I need to submit a letter of resignation. And no, my job has no correlation to intelligence level. Many people can verify that, just ask around.

No, screw that

Felton is next.

Then CMG

How did Felton get the UGA job? I feel like he is gone, probably after Auburn beats him. Who would you like to take over?

No, screw that

Felton is next.

Then CMG

How did Felton get the UGA job? I feel like he is gone, probably after Auburn beats him. Who would you like to take over?

Felton actually did a very solid job at WKU and honestly, he looked like an excellent hire at the time.

The problem with Felton is he is not that great of a recruiter and he is HATED by some HS coaches and many players. He is NOT a people's person and it has taken YEARS for him to warm up to many Admin

Who do I want to coach over Felton? How about me....you....PChamp could give it a shot...with Galen as his assistant

Truth be told, UGA won't get anyone big but why not true a successful school like Butler or someone?

Sorry SLink, I don't want the UGA job, I'm waiting on the Auburn job so I can grab an assistant spot when PChamp takes over. I'm sure once Felton is gone the AD will look for someone who is more of a people person to help that relationship with high school coaches and players.

Archived