Julio and the Witness Stand

The Prowler

What's this about Julio Jones being in the vehicle of some guy that was Shot, like 4 times in the chest? The DA said that Julio wasn't there at the time....of course, but said that he might know something about it. Can anyone elaborate for me, since I caught the tail end of this discussion on the Radio.

Go to Bama Beat (Mobile register/Al.com). they will link you to the article

Good response, if that's you (Hoopie1). Its hard to grow up in the rough part of town when it doesn't exist.

Go to Bama Beat (Mobile register/Al.com). they will link you to the article

Good response, if that's you (Hoopie1). Its hard to grow up in the rough part of town when it doesn't exist.

Aaronville is a pretty rough part of town. its one huge government housing community, and people get shot there on a yearly basis. JJ lives about 2 streets down from Aaronville. i wouldn't get caught between 1st and S Cedar St after dark. if any of you have ever been around the Foley Wal-Mart, Aaronville is just across the street and to the NW of there.

Aaronville is a pretty rough part of town. its one huge government housing community, and people get shot there on a yearly basis. JJ lives about 2 streets down from Aaronville. i wouldn't get caught between 1st and S Cedar St after dark. if any of you have ever been around the Foley Wal-Mart, Aaronville is just across the street and to the NW of there.

Dido, that. I once worked for a company that had me work two nights a week at our Foley location a few years back. One night after leaving the Walmart a woman in the parking lot asked me if I could give her a ride home. It was 2AM and the old "my boyfriend left me here thing" and it was cold and rainy. I drove her to a trailer park in the area and as we got near she said, "this is a really bad neighborhood so just drop me off at the edge and leave quickly. Oh, and you will probably get pulled over by the police on your way out." I did. I told the officer the turth and informed him that I was not familiar with Foley and asked what areas should I avoid. He said everything but the main drag.

My experience working in the restaurant in Foley and dealing with its residents has left me with a bad taste in my mouth for the town. I'm sure there are some good people living there, but they do not eat at Applebee's. Which I guess can be said for any town, "there are some good people living there, but they do not eat at Applebee's.".

Dido, that. I once worked for a company that had me work two nights a week at our Foley location a few years back. One night after leaving the Walmart a woman in the parking lot asked me if I could give her a ride home. It was 2AM and the old "my boyfriend left me here thing" and it was cold and rainy. I drove her to a trailer park in the area and as we got near she said, "this is a really bad neighborhood so just drop me off at the edge and leave quickly. Oh, and you will probably get pulled over by the police on your way out." I did. I told the officer the turth and informed him that I was not familiar with Foley and asked what areas should I avoid. He said everything but the main drag.

My experience working in the restaurant in Foley and dealing with its residents has left me with a bad taste in my mouth for the town. I'm sure there are some good people living there, but they do not eat at Applebee's. Which I guess can be said for any town, "there are some good people living there, but they do not eat at Applebee's.".

thats pretty accurate. working anywhere in Foley does suck because alot of the people are terrible. glad i don't work there anymore.

Did I see JJ on the witness stand in an OK hoodie? :blink:

It amazes me how someone could show up for court in a sweatshirt! Between that and "dusting" (see thread about a "warning to parents") and I'm beginning to understand why my dad says we're headed to hell in a handbasket!

It amazes me how someone could show up for court in a sweatshirt! Between that and "dusting" (see thread about a "warning to parents") and I'm beginning to understand why my dad says we're headed to hell in a handbasket!

yep, he sure was. he was wearing the hood all day too until he actually had to go into the court room. when he went into the court room he finally took the hood off. i'm sure if he was wearing an Alabama hoodie he would be pretty noticeable. ever thought that maybe he didn't want alot of attention or press around him? of course not, because that wouldn't paint the worst image possible of him.

Nah! Someone who calls a press conference at the last minute to announce who he is signing with doesn't mind the attention. Julio probably thinks incognito is a small town in Mississippi! :)

A judge worth his or her salt would have reprimanded someone dressed like that in their courtroom. Decorum still has its place in this society.

Nah! Someone who calls a press conference at the last minute to announce who he is signing with doesn't mind the attention. Julio probably thinks incognito is a small town in Mississippi! :)

A judge worth his or her salt would have reprimanded someone dressed like that in their courtroom. Decorum still has its place in this society.

hello, welcome to planet earth. please enjoy your stay.

JJ said since day 1 that he would announce where he was going on signing day. the press conference in the gymnasium at Foley was long planned because ESPN wanted to make a big deal out of it. how is that at the last minute? and as long as you do not wear a hat in the courtroom, a judge is not going to reprimand you for what you wear. are you on drugs?

JJ said since day 1 that he would announce where he was going on signing day. the press conference in the gymnasium at Foley was long planned because ESPN wanted to make a big deal out of it. how is that at the last minute? and as long as you do not wear a hat in the courtroom, a judge is not going to reprimand you for what you wear. are you on drugs?

While "JJ" is at the courthouse, he needs to get a restraining order against RWS. I swear he is gay for this kid. Did RWS buy Julio that shiny new SUV, since he is from a rough area of town, and probably low on cash and all....

So, did JJ Witness the Murder??? I thought he was just with the guy earlier that night, then later he was shot. He told the judge that he knew it was him, when the judge asked if he knew that it was the guy that shot his friend....."cause I seen him." So, was he witness to the murder, did he see his friend get shot? I'm confused. Then on top of that I heard that Burton Scott is being sued by his baby momma (44 yr. old woman) for back payment on child support.

So, did JJ Witness the Murder??? I thought he was just with the guy earlier that night, then later he was shot. He told the judge that he knew it was him, when the judge asked if he knew that it was the guy that shot his friend....."cause I seen him." So, was he witness to the murder, did he see his friend get shot? I'm confused. Then on top of that I heard that Burton Scott is being sued by his baby momma (44 yr. old woman) for back payment on child support.

i'd like to see where JJ said that he saw him get shot. he was with the guy earlier in the night, wasn't in the vehicle when it happened. please show me a link where he supposedly told a judge this. this should be pretty interesting seeing as how there is no media allowed in the court room for this trial.

EITHER all his other clothes were dirty or he was wearing the Oklahoma sweatshirt to "remind" Alabama that he could have gone elsewhere, and will if they don't treat him right. I mean, once he signed w/Alabama wouldn't he have gotten rid of the other school(s) stuff?

i'd like to see where JJ said that he saw him get shot. he was with the guy earlier in the night, wasn't in the vehicle when it happened. please show me a link where he supposedly told a judge this. this should be pretty interesting seeing as how there is no media allowed in the court room for this trial.

BAY MINETTE, Ala. (AP) -- Two weeks after he announced his decision to play football at Alabama on national television, star wide receiver Julio Jones found himself in a new position -- that of a key prosecution witness in a capital murder trial.

Wearing a gray hoodie emblazoned with an Oklahoma Sooners' logo, Jones testified Tuesday that he witnessed the gunshot murder of a longtime acquaintance who was identified as a drug dealer. The slaying occurred in Baldwin County not far from Foley High School, where Jones became one of the nation's top football recruits.

Jones, 19, said he and his best friend, 18-year-old Lugene Gibbs, watched from across a street as Labarron McDonald, 27, fatally shot Gibbs' uncle, Marlin Lashane Phipps, 33.

Jones and Gibbs both said they heard three quick shots from a handgun. McDonald then yanked on Phipps' dreadlocks, pointed the barrel closer to his head and fired once more, they said.

At the end of Jones' testimony, prosecutor Michael Pylant asked the player whether he identified McDonald as the gunman because of pressure from his friend's family or from police.

"No, sir," Jones said. "Because I seen him."

On cross-examination, defense lawyer Pascal Bruijn asked Jones whether Gibbs was his best friend. "Is that why he's standing in the door, keeping the cameras from taking your picture?" Bruijn asked Jones.

Pylant objected, and Jones did not have to answer.

During opening statements, Bruijn said McDonald was in Milton, Fla., when the shooting happened on May 12. Bruijn called Phipps a "violent, gang-banging drug dealer" who "made enemies and beat up on people."

Gibbs, also a Foley High athletic standout, and Jones both denied smoking or drinking the day of the killing, but Gibbs said his uncle was a drug dealer.

Jones was a Parade and USA Today All-American, and ESPN carried the announcement of his college decision. Named Alabama's Mr. Football by sports writers, he had 194 career catches for 3,287 yards and 42 touchdowns. He also had three rushing touchdowns and scored twice on kick and fumble returns.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

EITHER all his other clothes were dirty or he was wearing the Oklahoma sweatshirt to "remind" Alabama that he could have gone elsewhere, and will if they don't treat him right. I mean, once he signed w/Alabama wouldn't he have gotten rid of the other school(s) stuff?

a LOI is binding, so i doubt he will be going anywhere else.

also auwallace, first i've heard that JJ actually saw the murder take place. the only thing i've ever seen is that he was just with him earlier in the evening. apparently i was incorrect.

Yeah, I'd just heard about it this afternoon, it sounded as if JJ wasn't really affected by this. Does he live in a rough part of town or something? You know, kinda immune to things like seeing your friend get shot in the head?? Is this something they knew was going to happen?? Because that article also states (but, not shown here) that they were sitting in the SUV until they saw McDonald walk up then they got out and ran to the other side of the street, JJ and his friend Gibbs.

a LOI is binding, so i doubt he will be going anywhere else.

also auwallace, first i've heard that JJ actually saw the murder take place. the only thing i've ever seen is that he was just with him earlier in the evening. apparently i was incorrect.

i wasn't calling you out, i was just showing you the article........that's a pretty gruesome image he saw, i'd think that would stick with you for a while. that is one situation i wouldn't wish on anyone.

Yeah, I'd just heard about it this afternoon, it sounded as if JJ wasn't really affected by this. Does he live in a rough part of town or something? You know, kinda immune to things like seeing your friend get shot in the head?? Is this something they knew was going to happen?? Because that article also states (but, not shown here) that they were sitting in the SUV until they saw McDonald walk up then they got out and ran to the other side of the street, JJ and his friend Gibbs.

i won't even drive through anywhere between 1st Ave, 9th Ave, and S. Cedar St after dark, and i carry a pistol at all times. JJ lives on 3rd Ave. 1st-3rd Ave are residential homes, then 9th Ave is residential homes also. Aaronville pretty much starts on 4th Ave and runs to 9th Ave. "rough part of town" is an understatement. Aaronville is one huge low income government housing community and people get shot there every year. that whole area is a bad place, S. Pine St and Oak Ave also. the residential homes mixed in there all have burglar bars, etc.

BAY MINETTE, Ala. (AP) -- Two weeks after he announced his decision to play football at Alabama on national television, star wide receiver Julio Jones found himself in a new position -- that of a key prosecution witness in a capital murder trial.

Wearing a gray hoodie emblazoned with an Oklahoma Sooners' logo, Jones testified Tuesday that he witnessed the gunshot murder of a longtime acquaintance who was identified as a drug dealer. The slaying occurred in Baldwin County not far from Foley High School, where Jones became one of the nation's top football recruits.

Jones, 19, said he and his best friend, 18-year-old Lugene Gibbs, watched from across a street as Labarron McDonald, 27, fatally shot Gibbs' uncle, Marlin Lashane Phipps, 33.

Jones and Gibbs both said they heard three quick shots from a handgun. McDonald then yanked on Phipps' dreadlocks, pointed the barrel closer to his head and fired once more, they said.

At the end of Jones' testimony, prosecutor Michael Pylant asked the player whether he identified McDonald as the gunman because of pressure from his friend's family or from police.

"No, sir," Jones said. "Because I seen him."

On cross-examination, defense lawyer Pascal Bruijn asked Jones whether Gibbs was his best friend. "Is that why he's standing in the door, keeping the cameras from taking your picture?" Bruijn asked Jones.

Pylant objected, and Jones did not have to answer.

During opening statements, Bruijn said McDonald was in Milton, Fla., when the shooting happened on May 12. Bruijn called Phipps a "violent, gang-banging drug dealer" who "made enemies and beat up on people."

Gibbs, also a Foley High athletic standout, and Jones both denied smoking or drinking the day of the killing, but Gibbs said his uncle was a drug dealer.

Jones was a Parade and USA Today All-American, and ESPN carried the announcement of his college decision. Named Alabama's Mr. Football by sports writers, he had 194 career catches for 3,287 yards and 42 touchdowns. He also had three rushing touchdowns and scored twice on kick and fumble returns.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I feel terrible for jj. It's terrible that he witnessed all of this. I hope that he has gotten some psychiatric help to work through that. The recruiting deal can pressure kids enough. For him to experience this at the same time is crazy.

I'm not sure how many courtrooms you've visited, but I have seen several judges reprimand not only defendants, but also witnesses and off-duty police officers, for the way they dressed in court. It is strictly based on that judge's preference, as they can basically say anything they want. Are you on drugs or do you just like to make stuff up?

Archived