Obama blows away fundraising record

RunInRed

Take that Hillary! (who earlier touted her record $35M February haul)

Obama raises $55 million in February

Posted: 02:38 PM ET

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s campaign said Thursday that it had set a new campaign fundraising record, raising $55 million in February – roughly $20 million more than rival Hillary Clinton during the same time period. Nearly all of the money came in the form of contributions that can be used during the primary process.

The campaign said that 727,972 donors contributed to the campaign last month, including 385,101 first-time contributors. More than one million individuals have donated to Obama’s presidential campaign since it began last year.

More than $45 million of the February haul came in the form of online contributions, according to the campaign. More than 90 percent of those donations were $100 or less; half were $25 or less. Three-quarters of online donors in February were first-time contributors, and more than a third of those individuals went on to engage in volunteer activity coordinated through the campaign’s Web site.

Filed under: Barack Obama

We need campaign fund caps. No one should be able to purchase a seat in the oval office.

Do you really think that donations by individual people, most of which were under $100 and given online, counts as buying the white house? What's wrong with everyday people like you and me giving our money to a political campaign? I'd like to think that my money (were I to have any...) could go to the candidate of my choice.

We need campaign fund caps. No one should be able to purchase a seat in the oval office.

Do you really think that donations by individual people, most of which were under $100 and given online, counts as buying the white house? What's wrong with everyday people like you and me giving our money to a political campaign? I'd like to think that my money (were I to have any...) could go to the candidate of my choice.

What about the donations by corporations, special interest groups, and certain people that pay well over $100 to have special influence on the potential president's policies, actions, etc? Ordinarily, I would have no problem with citizens donating money to a campaign, but its beyond that now. Its another method in which the minority controls the majority. Set up a tax-funded pool, where each serious potential candidate gets an equal chunk of money at each stage of the election process. Put the candidates on equal footing and take the above mentioned groups out of their back pocket.

What about the donations by corporations, special interest groups, and certain people that pay well over $100 to have special influence on the potential president's policies, actions, etc? Ordinarily, I would have no problem with citizens donating money to a campaign, but its beyond that now. Its another method in which the minority controls the majority. Set up a tax-funded pool, where each serious potential candidate gets an equal chunk of money at each stage of the election process. Put the candidates on equal footing and take the above mentioned groups out of their back pocket.

Obama does not take money from PACs, Lobbyist or Special Interest groups. By all accounts, his grass roots campaign is funded by the people.

Obama does not take money from PACs, Lobbyist or Special Interest groups. By all accounts, his grass roots campaign is funded by the people.

If that's true (not questioning you, questioning him), that's great. More should follow in his path.

Archived