MLB 2008 Season

WinCrimson

Sure, you can look at average age, or you can look at starters age. The guys you really depend on.

Guys like Alou and Pedro who are pushing 60...both starting the season off hurt. So you have a fill in pitcher and Pagan subing for Moises. Delgado is always plagued with injuries and has yet again, started the season off bumpy.

And if they can't get Reyes on the right track, they will seriously struggle. He's a liability for them right now, dating back to last season. Wright is a slow starter, so they don't need to worry about his current low production.

But this isn't a National League east where you can give away a lot of games and still win. There's three VERY legit teams in this division and it's not going to be an easy get. And because the teams are so tough and they play so many games amongst each other, I predict the WC won't come out of the east because they are going to beat up on each other so much.

Alou is 42 but he’s not going to make or break the team. As for Pedro he’s 36, which isn’t exactly ancient for a MLB pitcher. I’m not arguing that there aren’t some injury problems but you can’t defiantly say it’s because they’re old. Pedro is younger than 2 Braves starters and Delgado and Chipper are the same age.

Reyes is the key to the Mets success. They need him to get on track in order to compete for the division. It will be a tough race all season long and more than likely will come down to the final week.

Congrats on the two game sweep. The Braves really played good ball. My brother called both days to rub it in.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but you're completely wrong about Smoltz. He did not miss any starts in August or September. He did not tend to have elbow or shoulder problems. He's 41 and can still throw a 94mph slider. Past his prime? Dream on.

He was 4-2 in his final 11 starts last season. The only start that he didn't go at least 6 innings in that stretch was the last game he pitched when playoffs were out of the picture. He never allowed more than 3 runs in those games. He had one complete game where he only allowed 3 runs and actually got the loss. In one game he went 8 innings, allowed 2 runs and got a no decision.

In 2006 Smoltz was 12-4 in his last 18 starts.

As for Glavine...he was 5-2 in his last 13 starts last season. Yes he got shelled at Shea in his last start of the season but to say he faded is again just plain wrong.

My bad on smolts missing a start. He has held up better than I thought when I looked back. There is just always concern about his arm health late in the season. So far he has held up well.

Glavine tanked his last two starts last year (era of over 20!) and had a 6.0+ era in his last four although he was 2-2. He was largely held up by the mets offense though as he had a season long 4.45 era and still managed a 13-8 record.

Anyways, are you saying that you are truly confident in this years staff? I like hudson and smoltz, after that its nothing but if's to me, some of which are very shaky.

Sorry, but you're completely wrong about Smoltz. He did not miss any starts in August or September. He did not tend to have elbow or shoulder problems. He's 41 and can still throw a 94mph slider. Past his prime? Dream on.

He was 4-2 in his final 11 starts last season. The only start that he didn't go at least 6 innings in that stretch was the last game he pitched when playoffs were out of the picture. He never allowed more than 3 runs in those games. He had one complete game where he only allowed 3 runs and actually got the loss. In one game he went 8 innings, allowed 2 runs and got a no decision.

In 2006 Smoltz was 12-4 in his last 18 starts.

As for Glavine...he was 5-2 in his last 13 starts last season. Yes he got shelled at Shea in his last start of the season but to say he faded is again just plain wrong.

My bad on smolts missing a start. He has held up better than I thought when I looked back. There is just always concern about his arm health late in the season. So far he has held up well.

Glavine tanked his last two starts last year (era of over 20!) and had a 6.0+ era in his last four although he was 2-2. He was largely held up by the mets offense though as he had a season long 4.45 era and still managed a 13-8 record.

Anyways, are you saying that you are truly confident in this years staff? I like hudson and smoltz, after that its nothing but if's to me, some of which are very shaky.

Yes I am. Glavine went 6.1 tonight. No runs, 3 hits. In Colorado. Jurrjens is going to be a stud. Hampton is of course a big if, but if he's healthy he's absolutely dominant. If he isn't healthy, Chuck James is not a bad 5th starter at all.

That's cool. I just look at it from a making the playoffs standpoint and I don't see any improvement in this years staff compared to last afa that kind of thing goes.

If they have a few surprises with the young guys and hampton they could make the playoffs, as long as hudson and smoltz stay on course. Thats some big ifs.

Of course glavine looked good, it's like his second start of the season. I hope the entire staff shocks me and does well and carries them into the playoffs.

I saw them picked third in their division in a couple of places and to me this looks like a third place pitching staff. The Mets add Santana, we add Glavine.

That's cool. I just look at it from a making the playoffs standpoint and I don't see any improvement in this years staff compared to last afa that kind of thing goes.

If they have a few surprises with the young guys and hampton they could make the playoffs, as long as hudson and smoltz stay on course. Thats some big ifs.

Of course glavine looked good, it's like his second start of the season. I hope the entire staff shocks me and does well and carries them into the playoffs.

I saw them picked third in their division in a couple of places and to me this looks like a third place pitching staff. The Mets add Santana, we add Glavine.

The Mets added Santana to a staff that's awful. IMO they have one solid pitcher and honestly, Santana was 15-13 last year. Sure he's a great pitcher, but he's not the Godsend everyone has been saying he is. Compare the staffs of the Braves, Mets, and Phillies. I love our staff.

You're probably right. I just hope we have a young guy or two step up in the starting rotation for the long haul of the season. I miss the playoffs.

BTW Braves 3-5 with 5 one run losses.

Mark Teixiera is KILLING the Braves right now. 0-3 again tonight. I know he starts slow, but he's a gimme out in the middle of the lineup.

Braves bats are awful right now.

I don't know why I am posting this b/c we will more than likely start to suck as usual before too long. But I will gloat as long as it last. My Orioles are 6-1 and wining 6 in a row after losing their opener. :) They are actually playing good ball. I just had to gloat, we Oriole fans don't get to do that too often.

Now back to the realistic side of life. We started off hot last year and looked what happened. O'well just a matter of time. :(

At least my Braves didn't lose tonight...of course it was snowed out. But, hey, no "L" tonight!

No joke. And I'll take it. I don't think they were really excited about playing in the cold. See opening night.

I knew I shouldn't have posted anything. As soon as I do we drop two to TX and then we drop one to TB tonight. Gave up 8 runs over the 7th and 8th to lose 10-5. We have no pitching. :no:

Ugh, the Tigers are terrible

Why can't out pitchers IMPROVE? So many are just stuck in last season and/or getting worse

Get healthy dammit and start producing

Also, Willis....get your ass together and start doing well you over-rated piece of

Anyone see the Sox game today? Scored 4 runs all with 2 outs in the 8th to come back. Amazing how clutch they are in situations

Tigers are slowly coming back to earth but SP will continue to tear them apart this year. Pathetic. They have no room for trades either as they LOVE having prospects in the bank and traded as much as they could this off-season

Friend of mine pitched a GREAT GAME for the A's the other night against the Royals. Finally got his ERA below 5 after two tough starts to start the year off

Anyone see the Sox game today? Scored 4 runs all with 2 outs in the 8th to come back. Amazing how clutch they are in situations

Tigers are slowly coming back to earth but SP will continue to tear them apart this year. Pathetic. They have no room for trades either as they LOVE having prospects in the bank and traded as much as they could this off-season

Friend of mine pitched a GREAT GAME for the A's the other night against the Royals. Finally got his ERA below 5 after two tough starts to start the year off

BTW, thanks for Jurrjens. 7 IP 1 ER 8Ks and the W against the Dodgers yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Tigers are going to be tough to beat this year. I still think the trade we made with them worked out well for both teams.

I hated to hear that about Pedro. Even though I hate the Mets, I've always liked him. And I know what it means to hear a pop in a hammy. It's not good...at all.

I was blown away by HOW MUCH attention the Tigers got during the pre-season. Of course, I expected a lot with the trades this off-season

BUT

It seems like everyone picked us to win the AL this year....not everyone but a lot of people

The Tigers are good but we got little proven SP and even then it is suspect in the long-run. As good as JVL is, he can go stretches of terrible starts

The tigers should be picked to win, at least the division........you guys made some great pickups this off season.......

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts so far

- The Tampa Rays have REALLY been successful on the field this year and I can see why. When they cleared house Adminstration wise a few years back, they brought in PROFESSIONALS who changed the club house, attitude of players, and kept their scouting department in tact as they were drafting very successfully. They have a LOT of great, young arms and a lot of talent in the minors hitting wise. They will NOT win the AL East of course but they will be a little bit better than .500, imo

- The Tigers SP is still terrible. Willis has been a complete bust and will still be one years from now. Pathetic

- The Blue Jays have really built themselves into a consistent medicore program. They will never do anything than 3rd in the East, imo

- The Cardinals will fall apart in the 2nd half. Too many injury prone players and injuries.

- I expect the Rockies SP to implode shortly

- The Astros program is on the severe decline

It must be a mental thing with the braves. The best record in the majors at home and they can't buy one on the road.

Archived