McCain/Lobbyists 2008

WinCrimson

You mean his record of raising more private campaign dollars from the largest grass routes campaign this country has ever seen without taking a single dime from a federally registered lobbyist? Just checking.

Would you like to expand that statement?

tom-halftrue.gif

If it quacks like a lobbyist, it's a lobbyist

In his speeches and his TV ads, Barack Obama criticizes the influence of lobbyists.

"I know that I haven't spent a lot of time learning the ways of Washington," he says in the television spot. "But I've been there long enough to know that the ways of Washington must change."

The announcer says, "He's leading by example, refusing contributions from PACs and Washington lobbyists who have too much power today."

But his anti-lobbyist policy includes one caveat and a few loopholes that weaken his claim to be funding his political campaign in a way that's truly different from his competitors.

He almost always qualifies his statement to note that he won't take money from federal lobbyists, a distinction that allows him to accept money from well-connected state lobbyists.

For example, South Florida lobbyist Russ Klenet and his wife will host a fundraising event in Broward County for Obama on August 25. Klenet represents state groups such as the Florida Association of Mortgage Brokers, but also companies such as Match.com and Election Systems & Software.

And Obama still accepts tens of thousands of dollars from people who work for Washington firms that do substantial lobbying. Former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle is an Obama contributor who isn't a registered lobbyist, but works as a consultant for Alston & Bird, a lobbying firm in Washington.

The Center for Responsive Politics found that Obama accepted $55,019 from employees at lobbying firms, and much more from companies that are not classified as lobbying firms but have lobbying divisions.

So we give Obama's statement a Half-True on the Truth-O-Meter. While Obama can accurately say that he does not accept money from federally registered lobbyists, he still accepts thousands from people in the influence industry.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/32/

Don't bother, there is no doubt what your answer will be. But I do have to ask, is that deflection or nuance?

Well, POLITIFACT is short on the facts. I love the statement about Daschle "isn't a registered lobbyist, BUT".

Here is where their facts are wrong. Alston & Bird is a law firm, not a lobbying firm. I know, my brother used to work there.Also Bob Dole is a partner in the firm as well.

Again, let's not let the truth get in the way.

Let me give you a little information about the "connections" with lobbyists......McCain used a lot of people for his campaign who worked for free after he was left dead in the water last summer. The people who ran his finances in the ground were removed, and the McCain campaign reached out to anyone who was willing to help him regroup. As it turns out, some of these people were former lobbyists in Washington. After he (McCain) was able to bounce back and claim the nomination, his campaign had to dig into many of the advisers and associates they had allowed into the campain during the restructuring. That's when they found some flaws, and started culling them out.

That's a good point that I had not considered.

Well, POLITIFACT is short on the facts. I love the statement about Daschle "isn't a registered lobbyist, BUT".

Here is where their facts are wrong. Alston & Bird is a law firm, not a lobbying firm. I know, my brother used to work there.Also Bob Dole is a partner in the firm as well.

Again, let's not let the truth get in the way.

Yeah let's not.

Lobbying Firm

Alston & Bird LLP

Lobbying 1998-2004: $7,450,000

Lobbying 2004: $2,640,000

http://www.publicintegrity.org/lobby/profi...&lo=L000196

Sure wish I could make $7 million NOT doing something. :thumbsup:

www.alston.com

You link does not work so try again. And unless you can provide proof positive that they are not lobbyist then don't bother.

On the other hand I have provided proof.

www.alston.com

You link does not work so try again. And unless you can provide proof positive that they are not lobbyist then don't bother.

Ijust typed in www.alston.com and the law firm's web page came up.Not to say that there is not a lobbyist arm,but I don't think so.My brother was a lawyer there for 5 or 6 years. I'll check with him.

www.alston.com

Ijust typed in www.alston.com and the law firm's web page came up.Not to say that there is not a lobbyist arm,but I don't think so.My brother was a lawyer there for 5 or 6 years. I'll check with him.

I really could care less what you just typed. YOUR LINK DOES NOT WORK! I typed real slow so you could understand.

www.alston.com

I really could care less what you just typed. YOUR LINK DOES NOT WORK! I typed real slow so you could understand.

I did notice the spaces between your letters. Thanks.

Link worked for me. Here, TM, I'll make it easier for you.

LINK

Your pitiful attempt at sarcasm aside, I know how to link. Your bud does not. I know how to make a link work. Your bud does not. And no the link did not work the way he originally posted it. So try again.

Obviously it has been modified. I would guess either Al or Titan.

LINK

Your pitiful attempt at sarcasm aside, I know how to link. Your bud does not. I know how to make a link work. Your bud does not. And no the link did not work the way he originally posted it. So try again.

Yeah, the way he posted it requires one to simply copy it and paste it in your address bar over everything except the "http://" part. Or manually type that part, whichever way you prefer. If you'd like more help, I hear the Video Professor programs are very good.

LINK

Yeah, the way he posted it requires one to simply copy it and paste it in your address bar over everything except the "http://" part. Or manually type that part, whichever way you prefer. If you'd like more help, I hear the Video Professor programs are very good.

OK Al since you want to make a big deal of this. YOU follow him around and make all his links usable. Make excuses all you want, but he is not doing things right. From now on it's your job to correct his BS.

For the record it's not my job or anyone's job to have to correct, add to or make his feeble attempts at linking work.

So by your response here, can we safely assume you are the one to make it work?

LINK

OK Al since you want to make a big deal of this. YOU follow him around and make all his links usable. Make excuses all you want, but he is not doing things right. From now on it's your job to correct his BS.

For the record it's not my job or anyone's job to have to correct, add to or make his feeble attempts at linking work.

Instead of squawking about the link not working, why not just show him how to do it?

arnaldo, when you want to post a link, you copy the entire web address as it appears in your address bar and then click the Link icon at the top of the page that looks like this: hyperlink.gif A box will open and you paste the copied link in that box. When you hit enter/OK, another box will prompt you for text. At that point you can type whatever you want the link to read. Type the word "link" "Wall Street Journal" or whatever. Please learn this so Rain Man doesn't hurt himself. If you need any help just ask.

Why not just delete all of his worthless ass posts. It would be a lot easier.

Why not just delete all of his worthless ass posts. It would be a lot easier.

We'd have to give you equal time.

LINK

Instead of squawking about the link not working, why not just show him how to do it?

#1 He has been told more than once.

#2 You stay with him and correct all his feeble attempts at linking and posting.

#3 See #1 also see the MOD forum.

LINK

#2 You stay with him and correct all his feeble attempts at linking and posting.

He posted the link, just not in the preferred way. I've shown him the preferred way. I'm sure he'll be fine now and, if not, you've shown yourself to be more than helpful in the mechanics of posting so he won't have any problem asking for help.

LINK

He posted the link, just not in the preferred way. I've shown him the preferred way. I'm sure he'll be fine now and, if not, you've shown yourself to be more than helpful in the mechanics of posting so he won't have any problem asking for help.

"the preferred way" has nothing to do with it. He posted a link that did not work. It did not work until you fixed it to work. So from now on you fix all his F up's. Further more don't lie about it and try to turn it around on someone else.

LINK

"the preferred way" has nothing to do with it. He posted a link that did not work. It did not work until you fixed it to work. So from now on you fix all his F up's. Further more don't lie about it and try to turn it around on someone else.

I didn't fix it.

LINK

I didn't fix it.

OK, then I came to a wrong conclusion based on your pissin & moaning & wanting to place a guilt trip on me.

Archived