Rodney Scott

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Admission Standards for AUBURN are Higher than uat.

You might need to do some research of your own matty, before you type. The NCAA sets the minimum standards....Each Conference has there own set standards....Then it comes down to the University's standards. A lot of the Universities go by the minimum of the Conference, some of those Conferences go by the minimum of the NCAA. Sometimes the difference is going from a 17 on the ACT to an 18. Some Universities us the Sliding Scale, some don't. So, again....do some research on your own.

Put it this way....Auburn has a higher admission standards than uat. Mike Ford couldn't qualify twice to get into uat, but he qualified to go to USF.

"If you put a mirror under your nose and it fogs up....you can get into uat." - Coach Tony Franklin

Put it this way...

Mike Ford signed with Bama in 05 and 06 and NEITHER time did he meet the NCAA minimum requirements for student athletes. He signed with USF in 07 and (although he did not meet USF minimums, which are higher than NCAA minimums) he was granted an exception and admitted because he DID meet NCAA requirements.

Imagine if Jermaine Johnson doesn't qualify this year. Next year he changes his mind, signs with Wake Forest and qualifies. Are Wake Forest's admittance standards lower? NO! Johnson just happened to finally meet the NCAA requirement and Wake Forest (if necessary, based on their normal acceptance criteria) may have to grant an exception to their normal admittance standards.

It's the same way at UA and AU. I don't feel like doing the research on admissions criteria for normal students, but athletes only have to meet the minimum set forth by the NCAA and they can get an exception to the school's normal admissions procedures.

This is why SOS got so pissed at USC last year. USC was NOT giving exceptions to athletes who met the NCAA minimums when all the rest of us were.

Please stop saying we're so much tougher than other schools... that's just ignorant.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20061...10specials.html

Special policies

To be eligible to play, all incoming student-athletes are required to meet minimum academic criteria by the NCAA – grades and test scores. Schools also have their own admission standards, which can be tougher than the NCAA's.

The NCAA's basic requirement concerning special admits is that admission guidelines be published in a university document that outlines the policies for the entire school, not just athletes. And the NCAA's Division I Committee on Athletic Certification has ruled that special admission policies should be consistent for both student-athletes and nonathletes.

But when the percentage of athletes who are special admits is far greater than that of regular students, it has the appearance of being “not generally available to other students,” said Ridpath, the academic reform advocate.

“If a school allows special admits, they should be few and far between and equitable across the board,” Ridpath said.

Each school or system sets its own policy on special admits. At University of California schools such as UCLA and Cal, up to 6 percent of enrolled freshman can be admitted using “nontraditional” criteria. Up to 2 percent can be used for “students with special talents” (athletes, artists, etc.). The remaining 4 percent can be used for applicants who show some “exceptional promise” but who are not UC-eligible.

At Cal State schools, up to 8 percent of the system's new undergraduates each year may be special admits. Each year, CSU's enrollment management office divvies up that allotment among each CSU campus according to requests and usage patterns. For example, San Jose State was allowed 400 for 2005-06, Fresno was allowed 375, SDSU 200.

The purpose of a special admissions policy is “more about flexibility than anything else,” said Jim Blackburn, CSU's associate director for enrollment management. “There are always cases where any (rule) that's hard and fast needs some accommodation. Secondarily, it provides a way for the university to admit persons who may fall a bit short on academic criteria, but they bring something special to campus” such as music or athletic talent.

Each school usually decides which athletes get special admits after requests are made by the athletic department, subject to the approval of the enrollment director or a committee that oversees special admits.

At SDSU, 110 special admits are set aside for athletes, thought not all are used, according to an agreement authorized by SDSU President Stephen Weber in 1998. SDSU seldom admits more than 110 scholarship athletes per year.

When the athletic department requests a special admit, the “expectation is that they believe that student has every capability of succeeding with the study hall and tutors,” said Sandra Cook, SDSU's executive director of enrollment services.

“I have denied some that I thought weren't likely to make it,” Cook said. “They (members of the athletic department) make a big stink, but it's my call.”

In a statement, Weber said: “The university and its students benefit from the talents of these athletes, and the educational opportunity we offer to these athletes can transform their lives. This looks to me like a great win-win proposition for both the student-athlete and the university.”

I can't remember what the exact qualifications are, but the entire Big East conference has lower standards than pretty much anyone else. About the only thing I have agreed with Nick Saban on is the fact that it is unfair that they are allowed to play by a different set of rules with regards to getting their players qualified. As mentioned before, Mike Ford was dead in the water at Bama. Now he is playing for USF. We pretty much got screwed out of getting Peanut Whitehead a couple of years ago because he was able to take a scholarship to Louisville and qualify immediately. This has happened in a few other cases over the past few years that I can't remember.

Put it this way....Auburn has a higher admission standards than uat. Mike Ford couldn't qualify twice to get into uat, but he qualified to go to USF.

"If you put a mirror under your nose and it fogs up....you can get into uat." - Coach Tony Franklin

Put it this way...

Mike Ford signed with Bama in 05 and 06 and NEITHER time did he meet the NCAA minimum requirements for student athletes. He signed with USF in 07 and (although he did not meet USF minimums, which are higher than NCAA minimums) he was granted an exception and admitted because he DID meet NCAA requirements.

Imagine if Jermaine Johnson doesn't qualify this year. Next year he changes his mind, signs with Wake Forest and qualifies. Are Wake Forest's admittance standards lower? NO! Johnson just happened to finally meet the NCAA requirement and Wake Forest (if necessary, based on their normal acceptance criteria) may have to grant an exception to their normal admittance standards.

It's the same way at UA and AU. I don't feel like doing the research on admissions criteria for normal students, but athletes only have to meet the minimum set forth by the NCAA and they can get an exception to the school's normal admissions procedures.

This is why SOS got so pissed at USC last year. USC was NOT giving exceptions to athletes who met the NCAA minimums when all the rest of us were.

Please stop saying we're so much tougher than other schools... that's just ignorant.

IT IS TOUGHER TO GET INTO AUBURN THAN OTHER SCHOOLS for non-athletes and athletes.....If you can't understand that or accept that, then I feel sorry for you, because you're apparently BLIND.

And, what part of being ignorant is it, may I ask? Saying that it's tougher to get into Auburn than uat? Or saying that getting into Auburn is tougher than getting into USF?

As far as I have read (limited knowledge) we don't use an NCAA minnimum.

We hada bama recruit complain he needed a higher ACT score to get into AU and UA gave him a dispensation to take a course to get the credit to earn the last point he needed to get into UA. Even one point left him 4 points short of qualifying for AU.

Unless that was some weird propaganda fueled article trying to scare dumb football players away it means AU doesn't use NCAA minnimum or we wouldn't miss out on recruits like that.

Archived