Rodney Scott

"Dixie County's Scott says he's Auburn bound

By Kevin Brockway

Sun sports writer

Rodney Scott grew up a Gator football fan.

Scott may get his chance to play in the The Swamp, just not in the orange and blue uniform he originally envisioned. The Dixie County rising senior running back made on oral commitment Thursday to play football on scholarship at Auburn, realizing a dream to play in the Southeastern Conference.Reply | Quote

Nice to take one away from Florida, too! One question, though. Florida won't rotate back onto our regular season for five years, right? So if we play Florida during his career, won't it have to be in Atlanta (SECCG), not the Swamp?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By Kevin Brockway

Sun sports writer

Scott may get his chance to play in the The Swamp, just not in the orange and blue uniform he originally envisioned. The Dixie County rising senior running back made on oral commitment Thursday to play football on scholarship at Auburn, realizing a dream to play in the Southeastern Conference.Reply | Quote

Nice to take one away from Florida, too! One question, though. Florida won't rotate back onto our regular season for five years, right? So if we play Florida during his career, won't it have to be in Atlanta (SECCG), not the Swamp?

facts... :rolleyes:;)

What I think is crazy is Rivals has him #5 and Scout has him #69...that's a big difference in

HUGE pickup for us!!! We are really on a roll. I think the entire coaching staff currently has a chip on their shoulder after totally getting schooled by the enemy last year. I'm really excited about our recruits and where coach Tuberville is taking our program. War Eagle!

HUGE pickup for us!!! We are really on a roll. I think the entire coaching staff currently has a chip on their shoulder after totally getting schooled by the enemy last year. I'm really excited about our recruits and where coach Tuberville is taking our program. War Eagle!

I wouldn't say that this is because of what Saban did last year. Sure, it affected us, as it affected every other SEC school, but I think we would all have felt better about last year's class if we had held onto Enrique Davis or Jarmon Forston, or even LaRon Byrd. I think losing those guys after we were their leaders for so long hurt us more than losing Barron or Harris to Bama. I think that opened the coaching staff's eyes much more than Saban getting some 5 star recruits.

There's no doubt that Saban's class affected the way Tuberville and co. have been recruiting, but I really don't think it was the biggest factor. Kids are committing earlier and earlier, and we have to keep up with Georgia and LSwho. We'll still get the guys who we've evaluated or seen in camps over the 5 stars that cause the most stir.

Ryan

What I think is crazy is Rivals has him #5 and Scout has him #69...that's a big difference in

I think Scout has him 69 overall at RB and Rivals has him 5 at All Purpose RB. Rivals likes to break down each position into subgroups.

I might be wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, that's what I'm hearing also. He's looking at USF, mainly because it's around 2 hrs. away and Auburn is around 6 hrs.

He had said that he was still committed but that he was going to sit down and have a final word on it, sometime towards the end of this week. He's probably got some friends or even family that are in his ear hole, begging him to stay closer to home....I don't blame them, but they need to look at it from his standpoint.

Go to Auburn get a great education, get drafted into the NFL in the first 4 rounds, make a boat load of mulla, and purchase a house for the fam....then retire after 6 years and ride it on out.

Or, go to USF get a decent education, get drafted into the NFL in the last two rounds or Free Agent, make just enough to pay the hotel bills while you jump from team to team, because for some reason you just can't seem to stick.....then you quit trying, go back home, and work in the local mill. ALL because you decided to take the road that was Easy and not Learn how to run the Damn ROCK from The Best RB Coach in the Country.

It's a No Brainer...open and shut case.

I guess he's already gotten back from his USF visit.

Now Scout is saying that he's going to commit to USF later this summer. Come On Coach Gran, get in that kids ear.

Just read the Scout.com article on him. He said he would likely commit to USF before the end of the summer.

I was hopeful until reading that.

Like I said - don't get cocky on recruiting just yet. As I have said over and over and over again ... there are few commitments this early. They are merely favorites at the time.

Same may go for the three kids that just "committed" to Auburn this Sunday after camp. Maybe they just really liked camp and went with emotions.

Guys, it's June. And we have 13 commits already. Between now and February, we might lose a few and then pick up others we weren't expecting. It's normal and nothing to get worried about. There's a lot of time between now and then to make Rodney more comfortable and calm his concerns about being far from home (6 hours really isn't that far).

Guys, it's June. And we have 13 commits already. Between now and February, we might lose a few and then pick up others we weren't expecting. It's normal and nothing to get worried about. There's a lot of time between now and then to make Rodney more comfortable and calm his concerns about being far from home (6 hours really isn't that far).

I think gas prices are negatively affecting our recruiting. 6 hours just isn't the same anymore. Vote for more domestic digging!

By Kevin Brockway

Sun sports writer

Ahhh, Math 101 - I love it. People should think about taking it sometime in college... or pay attention in High School... or Middle School... or Elementary School...

Rotation is every 5 years, yes... but that is the beginning of the rotation. For example, we played UT in 2003 and 2004 now we play them again in 2008/2009. Florida was a 2006/2007 so it will be 2011/2012. So technically its only 3 years without playing a team.

But even more importantly, remember that this season the recruits are still in high school and is a 2009 recruit. So if Rodney Scott were to come to Auburn (which it sounds like he won't), he would face Florida his third and fourth seasons, which would likely be his sophomore and junior seasons (but possibly junior and senior if he stayed that long).

So he would easily play Florida at least twice if he chose Auburn. Since he's going to go to USF, he won't ever play Florida.

Rotation is every 5 years, yes... but that is the beginning of the rotation. For example, we played UT in 2003 and 2004 now we play them again in 2008/2009. Florida was a 2006/2007 so it will be 2011/2012. So technically its only 3 years without playing a team.

But even more importantly, remember that this season the recruits are still in high school and is a 2009 recruit. So if Rodney Scott were to come to Auburn (which it sounds like he won't), he would face Florida his third and fourth seasons, which would likely be his sophomore and junior seasons (but possibly junior and senior if he stayed that long).

So he would easily play Florida at least twice if he chose Auburn. Since he's going to go to USF, he won't ever play Florida.

Point taken. Obviously I was only counting five years from one first year to the next first year of two-year rotations. And yeah, he won't even be in college until fall of 2009. Of course, another factor in player's college career is red-shirting for a fifth year vs. leaving early for the pros.

Personally, I'm still hoping that between now and February, Rodney will see the light and realize he needs to play for Coach Gran if he has dreams of playing on Sundays eventually. :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Rodney Scott stated that he felt better about his commitment to Auburn after he talked to Coach Gran. And that he's still committed to Auburn. So, that makes me feel a lot better after reading that.

They just reported on the radio that Scott has decommitted from AU and committed to USF. What the heck? How do they seem to steal these highly touted guys from everyone?

which radio station was it? I'm also hearing that grades could be an issue...Two routes to take, if that's the case...Stay committed to Auburn, work your tail off in the class room and hopefully do enough to qualify into Auburn, if not go Prep or JUCO depending on the situation. Or, commit to USF, coast through your Senior year with not much effort, and become qualified to play at USF next year.....those are the scenarios, if the grades are an issue.

which radio station was it? I'm also hearing that grades could be an issue...Two routes to take, if that's the case...Stay committed to Auburn, work your tail off in the class room and hopefully do enough to qualify into Auburn, if not go Prep or JUCO depending on the situation. Or, commit to USF, coast through your Senior year with not much effort, and become qualified to play at USF next year.....those are the scenarios, if the grades are an issue.

Brain Matthews was saying not to expect him to be at Auburn.

I doubt the admissions at USF are any different than AU for athletes -- the minimum set forth by the NCAA. Our roster isn't exactly full of brain surgeons.

I doubt the admissions at USF are any different than AU for athletes -- the minimum set forth by the NCAA. Our roster isn't exactly full of brain surgeons.

They are. Don't you remember Saban pissing the Bulls off last year? Their admission standards are lower than ours from what I understand.

Put it this way....Auburn has a higher admission standards than uat. Mike Ford couldn't qualify twice to get into uat, but he qualified to go to USF.

"If you put a mirror under your nose and it fogs up....you can get into uat." - Coach Tony Franklin

Archived