Obama Resigns Church Membership from Trinity

RunInRed

(CNN) — Barack Obama resigned Saturday from his Chicago church — where controversial sermons by his former pastor and other ministers had created repeated political headaches for the frontrunner for the Democratic presidential nomination — his campaign confirmed.

The resignation comes days after the Rev. Michael Pfleger, a visiting Catholic priest, mocked Obama's Democratic rival, Sen. Hillary Clinton, for crying in New Hampshire during the runup to the primary there.

Previously, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright — former pastor at Trinity United Church of Christ and Obama's minister for about 20 years — drew unwanted attention for the campaign when videos of several of his fiery sermons surfaced.

In them, Wright suggested the U.S. government may be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community and equated some American wartime activities to terrorism.

Obama has said he was not present for the controversial sermons by Wright or Pfleger and had condemned both — most recently saying he was "deeply disappointed" by Pfleger's "divisive, backward-looking rhetoric."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

By resigning his membership, Obama is taking the most definitive stand to date against the church.

He already has roundly condemned his former pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/05/31/ob...hip-in-chicago/

"We don't want to have to answer for everything that's stated in the church," the Democratic front-runner said. "We also don't want the church subjected to the scrutiny that a presidential campaign legitimately undergoes."

Obama said he was resigning "with some sadness."

"This is not a decision I come to lightly," he said.

Per CNN...details to come.

In an effort to get the transition started early, Barrack Obama resigned from his church in Chicago today. A search committee has been formed to find him and his family a new church in Washington… preferably as close to the White House as possible. :yes:

When the going gets tough... quit!

Just give it a few weeks. He will have never have been a member.

Obama has denounced the remarks from the get go. When the church continues in it's divisive ways he finally puts his foot down and says enough. Good for him. Typical response from you.

Sources tell ABC News that Obama felt that as the campaign continued, the media would continue to focus on the church, to the detriment of the church community, that Obama would be held responsible for what happened in the church, and that the Church would be held responsible for his campaign. It would be best, Obama felt, to simply cut ties. He has not yet joined a new church.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/20...-quits-his.html

Obama has denounced the remarks from the get go. When the church continues in it's divisive ways he finally puts his foot down and says enough. Good for him. Typical response from you.

No, he has denounced the remarks since they started being a problem for him. The remarks were being made for the past 20 years that he was a member. When the remarks continued and continued to cause outrage he resigned. Whether it is the actual reason or not, it appears that his resignation was politically motivated rather than a reaction to remarks he disagrees with.

How do you know what was said for the past 20 years? Were you in the pews?

Obama has clearly stated on numerous times that he was not in the church when the divisive comments that made the YouTube circuit were made.

Just admit it, there is nothing Obama could do in regards to this matter to please any of you.

Had do you know what was said for the past 20 years? Were you in the pews?

Obama has clearly stated on numerous times that he was not in the church when the divisive comments that made the YouTube circuit were made.

Just admit it, there is nothing Obama could do in regards to this matter to please any of you.

UH I think it's a safe bet that those divisive sermons were not isolated incidents. To argue that Wright and others have been preaching love the white man and how to be a model American...outside of the 3 sermons on youtube...is either incredibly ignorant...or incredibly shortsighted.

Bottom line: Obama didn't feel pressed to quit the church until he ran for president. He's got a 20 year history of being OK with what that church teaches.

Nothing to see here folks. Just the messiah throwing his church of 20 years under the bus when the light was shined on them. Move along please.

UH I think it's a safe bet that those divisive sermons were not isolated incidents. To argue that Wright and others have been preaching love the white man and how to be a model American...outside of the 3 sermons on youtube...is either incredibly ignorant...or incredibly shortsighted.

Bottom line: Obama didn't feel pressed to quit the church until he ran for president. He's got a 20 year history of being OK with what that church teaches.

Exactly. Who knows what was going on when the media didn't care what was said from the pulpit. I'm sure there are hundreds of churches elsewhere speaking a devisive rhetoric, as well as those on the other side speaking hate towards the African-American community. The only difference is they don't have a member running for president so nobody cares. These aren't isolated incidents, Obama has just been exposed.

It was a J O K E. I was going to make another comment about him being a heathen, but I'll leave it alone since your panties are wadded tonight.

I watched part of his speech tonight though. The man isn't standing by his convictions. He's renouncing his membership, but not denouncing the church. Basically, the church is a big PR problem for him so he's putting some distance in there, but he's ok with their message. If he really thinks the media is to blame for the negative attention his church is getting, as he just said, he shouldn't have renounced his membership.

If they preach Black Liberation Theology, then the assumption that this happened on multiple occasions is quite safe.

You can look at it one of two ways: Obama was present during the venomous sermons (NOT just the ones shown on YouTube), or he was associated with the church for political reasons only. Either way, he's lying. He either lied about being present, or he's lying about attending church.

Short of getting out of politics, no, there's nothing he can do to please me. He and Hillary are one in the same. The only difference is people believe Hillary is lying, while there's millions of drones out there that refuse to see through Obama.

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that you guys - who are still complaining now - are the same ones who were saying he should leave the church? As I said, your responses are very predictable.

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that you guys - who are still complaining now - are the same ones who were saying he should leave the church? As I said, your responses are very predictable.

I never said he should have left the church since this stuff popped up. I will say he should have left at the first sign of racism if the church leaders refused to do anything about it. Obama is extremely transparent; he does everything for personal gain. He's Al Gore Jr.

The proper response, had Obama really cared about what was going on, would have been to renounce his membership because of the current state of that church. Don't renounce it because you're getting a bad rap for the association and then blame that bad rap on the media.

Again, the man is completely transparent and in the race for himself. Have you not recognized Obama's MO?

1) Gray the facts

2) Reverse the blame

3) Change the subject

Anytime he crawfishes his way out of something, he sticks to that method. Watch. You'll be amazed.

Leave the church? I don't think he should have ever been a member.

Look I'm no fan of organized religion and this is a perfect (although extreme) example of why. I for one, am happy Obama has disconnected himself from this church.

The proper response, had Obama really cared about what was going on, would have been to renounce his membership because of the current state of that church. Don't renounce it because you're getting a bad rap for the association and then blame that bad rap on the media.

Nobody will answer you so I will. I sat there and listened while that pompous bastard tried to make it all about how everyone else has a problem. There was no mention of this is wrong and I need to get away from it. It was all about how every time someone from that church said something it would just come back to him because he is running for president. The whole thing reminded me why I mostly avoid listening to the pompous windbag.

If you cannot see that achmed is about achmed, then it's time to look up, get off your knees, and walk out of the bedroom before your friends actually find out.

Look I'm no fan of organized religion and this is a perfect (although extreme) example of why. I for one, am happy Obama has disconnected himself from this church.

Organized religon focused on God doesn't slander and generalize based on race or which side of the political isle you're on. Try a normal church, it will give you a different perspective.

I'm glad you get to pick and choose what Church people should be a memeber of.

Nobody will answer you so I will. I sat there and listened while that pompous bastard tried to make it all about how everyone else has a problem. There was no mention of this is wrong and I need to get away from it. It was all about how every time someone from that church said something it would just come back to him because he is running for president. The whole thing reminded me why I mostly avoid listening to the pompous windbag.

If you cannot see that achmed is about achmed, then it's time to look up, get off your knees, and walk out of the bedroom before your friends actually find out.

we've gone from achmed to "pompous bastard". You are really starting to hyper ventilate

Do you think the teachings of Dr Wright are positive ones?

Do you think Obama thinks now that it was a good decision to be a member there for 20 years?

It's OBVIOUS that the VAST MAJORITY of Americans disagree with the teachings and principles of Dr Wright. Especially since much of it can be categorized as hate speech. I'm no judge. He can be a member of whatever church he wants. But he doesn't need to expect to get the vast majority of America's votes.

And no, I don't think he should be a member. If he wants to be a unifier and a leader, I think it's irresponsible to be a member of a church that teaches hatred and fringe fundamental theology.

we've gone from achmed to "pompous bastard". You are really starting to hyper ventilate

He is still achmed. But on TV today he became achmed the pompous bastard.

I don't trust anyone who pisses on my leg and tries to convince me there is a warm rain out. That's what his little press conference sounded like today.

I never said he should leave the church. I believe that if he did not believe in the vitriol that has been spouted from the pulpit of that church for years he should have left when he first became aware of what the church stood for - Afrocentrism and Black Liberation I believe is the way it is described in the newsletter or whatever it is called. And he should have been aware of that shortly after beginning to attend the church. So either he supports the church and what it stands for and has left the church for purely political reasons or he never believed in what it stands for and was attending all this time for political reasons. EIther way, I am much less than impressed. Either you have a backbone and you stand up for what you believe in no matter the ramifications or you do whatever gets you the most and beliefs be damned. Which appears to be what Mr. Obama does quite well.

Do you think the teachings of Dr Wright are positive ones?

Do you think Obama thinks now that it was a good decision to be a member there for 20 years?

It's OBVIOUS that the VAST MAJORITY of Americans disagree with the teachings and principles of Dr Wright. Especially since much of it can be categorized as hate speech. I'm no judge. He can be a member of whatever church he wants. But he doesn't need to expect to get the vast majority of America's votes.

And no, I don't think he should be a member. If he wants to be a unifier and a leader, I think it's irresponsible to be a member of a church that teaches hatred and fringe fundamental theology.

I tend to judge by the totallity of their work, not a 30 second sound bite.

I tend to judge by the totallity of their work, not a 30 second sound bite.

So you have experienced the totality of Rev. Wright's sermons...and subsequently found them to be OK?

Archived