World welcomes Obama win

bojack34

LONDON (AP) — Excitement about Barack Obama emerged as a global phenomenon Wednesday as commentators and citizens around the world welcomed the news that he had sealed the Democratic presidential nomination.

The excitement was less about Obama's foreign policies — which remain vague on many fronts — than a sense that the candidacy of a black American with relatives in Africa and childhood friends in Asia marks a historic moment.

Michael Cox, a professor of international relations at the London School of Economics, said Obama's win "has sent out a lot of positive signals around the world."

"He has a very appealing persona — elegant, fluent, strings lots of sentences together into paragraphs," Cox said. "But in terms of (his) actual policies towards the Middle East, Iraq, Iran, China, Europe — actually, we don't know."

In Kenya, home to Obama's family on his father's side, the Kenya Times newspaper devoted its front page to Obama's victory, under the headline "Obama makes history."

"I've just watched him on television, and as a family we are very happy. Really, it is something that is a trendsetter," the politician's uncle, Said Obama, told The Associated Press from the port city of Kisumu in western Kenya.

Indonesians were rooting for the man they consider to be a hometown hero. Obama lived in the predominantly Muslim nation from age 6 to 10 with his mother and Indonesian stepfather and was fondly remembered by former teachers and classmates.

"He was an average student, but very active," said Widianto Hendro Cahyono, 48, who was in the same third-grade class as Obama at SDN Menteng elementary school in Jakarta. "He would play ball during recess until he was dripping with sweat.

"I never imagined he would become a great man."

In Mexico City, hairdresser Susan Mendoza's eyes lit up when she learned Obama had clinched the nomination.

"Bush was for the elite. Obama is of the people," she said.

The German government's coordinator on U.S. relations, Karsten Voigt, said many Germans "find (Obama's) mixture of Martin Luther King and John F. Kennedy very attractive."

In an editorial, the Times newspaper of London said Obama's campaign "has rekindled America's faith in its prodigious powers of reinvention — and the world's admiration for America."

Obama opposed the invasion of Iraq and has called for an early troop withdrawal. He also has shown willingness to engage in dialogue with Iran, North Korea and Cuba — nations long isolated by the policies of Bush.

"He seems to be a peace lover," said Ngo Van Hung, a Vietnamese real-estate salesman. "He would have a better understanding of how to treat people of different nationalities and different countries."

A Chinese scholar said that while he did not expect major changes in U.S. foreign policy, an Obama White House would have a very different tone to a Bush one.

"He will bring new energy into America's domestic politics and foreign policies," said Zhu Feng, deputy director at the Center of International and Strategic Studies at Peking University in Beijing. "It's a good choice for the Democrats."

Obama, however, has made himself unpopular in Pakistan by saying the United States should act alone on information about terrorist targets within the country's national borders, leading some to believe he will not be any different from Bush.

"Obama has threatened attacks against us even before becoming the president, and he will be more dangerous compared to Bush," said Ibrar Ahmad, 34, a lecturer at the Government College in Multan.

————

Associated Press writers around the world contributed to this report.

link

Why do you think the rest of the world is so happy about Obama's nomination?

Wow. I really think you missed the point of this article.

In Kenya, home to Obama's family on his father's side, the Kenya Times newspaper devoted its front page to Obama's victory, under the headline "Obama makes history."

"I've just watched him on television, and as a family we are very happy. Really, it is something that is a trendsetter," the politician's uncle, Said Obama, told The Associated Press from the port city of Kisumu in western Kenya.

Indonesians were rooting for the man they consider to be a hometown hero. Obama lived in the predominantly Muslim nation from age 6 to 10 with his mother and Indonesian stepfather and was fondly remembered by former teachers and classmates.

Nope. Just read between the lines.

Yup, you missed the point.

No she didn't . People all over the world in countries that mostly despise America, are achmed fans.

This idiotic statement sums up the stupidity of these people:

n Mexico City, hairdresser Susan Mendoza's eyes lit up when she learned Obama had clinched the nomination.

See, when you come from a country where there is no hope, and you hear an idiot from the wealthiest country in the world tell how he is gonna give everything to the weak and the poor and the lazy, then you, who fall into that category, has HOPE. So achmed is now giving the world hope. Hope that one day they too can come suck off the grand teat that will be achmed's America. No thanks.

Maybe he's just making up the point the author really meant to make...had he known that was the point bojack wanted him to make.

No she didn't . People all over the world in countries that mostly despise America, are achmed fans.

n Mexico City, hairdresser Susan Mendoza's eyes lit up when she learned Obama had clinched the nomination.

See, when you come from a country where there is no hope, and you hear an idiot from the wealthiest country in the world tell how he is gonna give everything to the weak and the poor and the lazy, then you, who fall into that category, has HOPE. So achmed is now giving the world hope. Hope that one day they too can come suck off the grand teat that will be achmed's America. No thanks.

So, if when Obama wins will you leave?

Where would I go? At least it will take several years for achmed to try and turn us into another 3rd world country. Anyway, I'll leave when somebody successfully deports me. And that won't be you or achmed.

I've never said I'd leave if so and so gets elected. But I won't be like you and continually disrespect the leader of our country. Even when Clinton was in office, I respected the fact that he was CIC. That's the difference between good Americans....and the rest.

I've never said I'd leave if so and so gets elected. But I won't be like you and continually disrespect the leader of our country. Even when Clinton was in office, I respected the fact that he was CIC. That's the difference between good Americans....and the rest.

I'm going to hold you to your word here CCT.

I'm going to hold you to your word here CCT.

You're welcome.

This was a pretty funny send up of the hysteria excitement and reaction of Obama clinching the nomination:

And it came to pass that Obama called his disciples to himself. And going up on an exceeding high mountain, he lifted up his countenance to Heaven, opened his mouth and spake, saying:

"I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal."

In the beginning was Obama. Before him, there was none to care for the sick, nor was there work for any in the regions of North America, from New York even to California. Day by day, the sick lay dying in the streets with no one to help them. But Obama lifted up his eyes of compassion upon them. He spoke, and it was. He uttered the Word, and health care came to be. The beggars who stood idle found work at the sound of his Holy Name. At the sound of his mighty voice, the rising oceans were rebuked and flowed back to their place. And by his votes, earth is healed.

This was a pretty funny send up of the hysteria excitement and reaction of Obama clinching the nomination:

And it came to pass that Obama called his disciples to himself. And going up on an exceeding high mountain, he lifted up his countenance to Heaven, opened his mouth and spake, saying:

"I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal."

In the beginning was Obama. Before him, there was none to care for the sick, nor was there work for any in the regions of North America, from New York even to California. Day by day, the sick lay dying in the streets with no one to help them. But Obama lifted up his eyes of compassion upon them. He spoke, and it was. He uttered the Word, and health care came to be. The beggars who stood idle found work at the sound of his Holy Name. At the sound of his mighty voice, the rising oceans were rebuked and flowed back to their place. And by his votes, earth is healed.

Actually, I think the word you're looking for is squealing. Like little teenaged girls. I mean, c'mon, I respect Obama, and I'm frankly glad he beat Hillary. But this fawning adulation is just a bit over the top.

What's more, if we're electing a president based on what hairdressers in Mexico think, then we're in much bigger trouble as a country than anybody thinks.

Maybe the rest of the world realizes what Obama means to this country.That under his leadership and vision we can retain our place as the example and beacon of what Democracy means.

Where would I go? At least it will take several years for achmed to try and turn us into another 3rd world country. Anyway, I'll leave when somebody successfully deports me. And that won't be you or achmed.

Know what you mean. I dread the day when chickens run thru the streets and goats are in the passenger cars of trains and people have to ride on top.

Actually, I think the word you're looking for is squealing. Like little teenaged girls. I mean, c'mon, I respect Obama, and I'm frankly glad he beat Hillary. But this fawning adulation is just a bit over the top.

What's more, if we're electing a president based on what hairdressers in Mexico think, then we're in much bigger trouble as a country than anybody thinks.

Bra-vo!

It's all good. Hopefully we will see what we need and decide based on merrit and not by party affiliation or where a person is from or how old they are or how well they make a speech.

If it's Obama, he better have his act in gear. A mistep or two and he could end up like Carter or daddy Bush. One term wonder.

Maybe he's just making up the point the author really meant to make...had he known that was the point bojack wanted him to make.

You seem to misunderstand. I was making a point based on the article. I didn't say the author was making a certain point. When you have terrorist run countries citizens celebrating the democratic nomination of a president for another country you have to wonder why. Is it because he is bed with them or is it because they don't fear him? It might be that they think he will enable the terrorist run countries. As of right now the United States of America is feared by many countries around the world.

So is Kenya or Indonesia the terrorist state you are referring to? Come to think of it, maybe we should invade Kenya....AND Indonesia.

Is it because he is bed with them or is it because they don't fear him?

Isn't that kind of the same thing, or one results in the other?

It is obvious. I went to an Catholic school as a little kid, and if I was elected President and my teachers were happy, it must mean I am bed with them. Oh crap, but I'm baptist. Well hell, let's not let facts get in the way, because I'm really a closet Catholic I guesS.

THIS JUST OUT!!! OBAMA IN BED WITH TERROIST BECAUSE HIS FORMER TEACHERS AND PRINCIPAL ARE HAPPY THAT HE WON!!!

So is Kenya or Indonesia the terrorist state you are referring to? Come to think of it, maybe we should invade Kenya....AND Indonesia.

Don't forget that people in England are glad, too. I guess they have to go.

Archived