Worst Coaches In The SEC

SouthLink02

http://dixiefriedsports.com/Worst_Coaches_in_SEC.html

1. Curley Hallman-With 2 National Championships in the last 5 seasons its hard to believe there was a time when LSU was near the bottom in the SEC. Hallman was hired away from Southern Miss where he put together an impressive record with some wins on the road against Bama, Auburn, and Florida State. He even found a way to bring in some QB named Brett. At LSU he was awful, 16-28 with a 2-9 record in 1992. Hallman was even beaten by his old team, Southern Miss, in 1994.

2. Brad Scott-When South Carolina hired Brad Scott in 1994 they hired one of the top offensive coordinators in college football. Scott was the man that led some great Florida State offenses and coached Charlie Ward to the Heisman Trophy. At South Carolina he sold some Heinz Ketchup, and then after he was fired sold his soul to the Gamecock's Devil(Clemson). Scott did win the school's first bowl game in 1994, but the next four seasons saw the Gamecocks go 16-27-1. Most blame Scott for the school's 21 game losing streak from 98-99.

3. Ed Orgeron-The firing of David Cutcliffe puzzled many in 2004, but what was even more puzzling was the hire of Ed Orgeron. While Coach "O" was a great recruiter, he just couldn't get it done on the field. 10-25 in 3 seasons had Col Reb Crying for most of his tenure.

4. Jack Crowe-Prior to Jack Crowe the Hogs went 20-4 with 2 SWC Conference Titles. With Crowe the Hogs went 9-15. Crowe only lasted 2 seasons and 1 game. He was fired after the Hogs suffered a home loss to THe Citadel Bulldogs 10-7 in 1992. He is now coaching the Jacksonville State Gamecocks, and yes there is another team called the Gamecocks, and no they aren't in Jacksonville, FL. Crowe makes the list despite not even coaching a single SEC game.

5. Ray Gooff.... I mean Goff-While a 46-34-1 record might be acceptable at some schools, it isn't at a tradition rich place like Georgia. In 7 seasons at UGA, Goff failed to have a winning season 4 times. Steve Spurrier was asked about his chances to beat Georgia once "Is Ray Goff still the coach there" the Head Ball Coach asked.

6. Mike Dubose-Prior to Dubose's arrival in Tuscaloosa the Tide were the power in the SEC West. Dubose did win the SEC Championship in 1999, but seasons of 3-8 and 4-7 won't win you contract extensions in Tuscaloosa. An overall record of 24-23 was the worst record for a Tide Coach in over 40 years

7. Bill Curry-Curry did have a decent run at Alabama going 26-10 in 3 years, but his time at Kentucky was terrible. Curry's 26-52 record was the worst for the Cats since John Ray(69-72). After spending a decade with ESPN, Curry is now the head coach at Georgia State's new football program.

8. Rod Dowhower-Who? Well, its easy to forget the man who served as Vandy Head Coach for 2 seasons in the mid 90s. Yes, winning at Vandy is tough, but Dinardo, Johnson, and even Widenhofer all had higher winning pcts

9. Ron Zook-The Zooker's claim to fame in the South is the fact that he started the Firecoach.com sites. FireRonZook.com was launched soon after the shocking hire of Zook in 2002. The program that Spurrier built was almost torn down by Ron Zook. You knew the end was near when in his last season he was seen at a frat house yelling at some frat boys. Give it up for Zook though, he did lead Illinois to the Rose Bowl last year.

10. Mike Shula-Some might want the man before Shula(Mike Price) on the list, but since he never really coached at Bama we'll leave him out. Shula was a former Bama QB and was somewhat of a desperate hire when Price was let go. A 26-23 record in 4 seasons was almost as bad as Dubose. Despite making so many terrible hires in the last decade, it does seem like Bama got it right with the hire of Saban.

I think Zook is a better coach than he gets credit for...look at Illinois...

He may not be an AMAZING coach, but he can recruit with the best of them.

I think Zook is a better coach than he gets credit for...look at Illinois...

He may not be an AMAZING coach, but he can recruit with the best of them.

i agree, he is a great recruiter. also, he took Illinios to a BCS game this year......not to shabby.

I think Ron Zook is arguably the dumbest man on that list. I have no idea how he "gameplans" anything. He and Coach O! are basically the exact same guy. They're excited, they recruit, and they don't know a damn thing about football. Zook was demoted from DC to Special Teams Coordinator by Spurrier at UF, and they wouldn't give him positional responsibilities in the NFL either. I'll put it this way: if you can't win more than 8 at UF.... the only hope you have is getting hired in the Big Ten.

I thought Terry Bowden would make the list. A coach that would quit in the middle of the season like that. I guess going 11-0 kept him off the list. But it would be hard to bump Mike Price from the 10 spot.

I thought Terry Bowden would make the list. A coach that would quit in the middle of the season like that. I guess going 11-0 kept him off the list. But it would be hard to bump Mike Price from the 10 spot.

He started 20-0 didn't he? It was all down hill after that.

He started 20-0 didn't he? It was all down hill after that.

He stared 20-1-1, and finished 27-17, not exactly downhill.

I think Ron Zook is arguably the dumbest man on that list. I have no idea how he "gameplans" anything. He and Coach O! are basically the exact same guy. They're excited, they recruit, and they don't know a damn thing about football. Zook was demoted from DC to Special Teams Coordinator by Spurrier at UF, and they wouldn't give him positional responsibilities in the NFL either. I'll put it this way: if you can't win more than 8 at UF.... the only hope you have is getting hired in the Big Ten.

Amen

He really lost UF a few games with just idiotic decisions

Of course, not against UGA <_<

Looks like bama has us beat once again.....we didn't even get a mention in this article and they got TWO!!! Always the bridesmaid...... ;)

Three, kind of.

Barfield would have probably made that list but they weren't going that far back. Out of that list, Ed Ogre is probably the worst I have ever seen, he just didn't belong on the sideline calling the shots. Brad Scott can be lumped in with the rest of the South Carolina's coaches after Morrison and before Holtz, who's who of who?

Looks like bama has us beat once again.....we didn't even get a mention in this article and they got TWO!!! Always the bridesmaid...... ;)

Three, kind of.

Well, you know how us AU'ers like to lessen our inferiority....Okay-guess I should take it like a man: They got THREE mentions and we didn't even get one!!! B)

Zook can rot in hell.

Dude hates UGA with a passion so screw him

SL2.....I'm not sure it's a good idea to show the camper crash. It seems that the folks in the truck will die. .....Jus' sayin'

Three, kind of.

Well, you know how us AU'ers like to lessen our inferiority....Okay-guess I should take it like a man: They got THREE mentions and we didn't even get one!!! B)

One of them, Jack Crowe, was an assistant coach at Auburn, not that I want to claim him. The day he left was one of our better days at Auburn.

Three, kind of.

One of them, Jack Crowe, was an assistant coach at Auburn, not that I want to claim him. The day he left was one of our better days at Auburn.

Crowe recruted me when I played high school ball. I ended up going to JSU for a year, I must say....i didnt like him to much.

Three, kind of.

And the crowd said...AMEN! That man took so much talent on Offense that we had back in 84, and made the playcalling sssooo damn predictable there were actually 10-12 year olds in the stands calling the plays for us. :no: The opposing team found that if they showed blitz for a second, we would audible into a draw. Well, they would show blitz, we would audible into a draw and every opponent would be sitting there waiting on it. It was heart breaking watching such a talented O wasted on such a fool calling the plays.

On a side note, Crowe did so bad running the Wishbone here at Auburn, the Offense is now considered obsolete for any major college power.

Name another "coach" that got $4 mil and went 6-6 in the regular season. I rest my case.

Lets not forget jerry DeNerdo

One of espn's best experts :puke:

He was arguably the worst HC I have ever heard of from friends of friends that played for him

He had zero locker room presense, had zero respect from the players, and had zero fear in them thus they did whatever they wanted

I still remember hearing from someone who walked on to LSU in 2000 that Saban's off-season program was night/day to Dinardos

Southlink, that clip on your profile is pretty funny....what is that from?

Some Jap show. Not sure of specifics

1wasisci1.gif

Archived