Jonathan Atchison

RunInRed

I just saw this on the AJC:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-b...as_lb_atch.html

Auburn lands Atlanta linebacker recruit

By Michael Carvell | Monday, August 18, 2008, 07:23 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Douglass linebacker Jonathan Atchinson appears to be one of the finishing touches of Auburn’s 2009 recruiting class.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Atchinson committed to the Tigers over Alabama, among other colleges. He is a member of the AJC’s Georgia Top 150, and rated as the nation’s No. 59 outside linebacker by Rivals.

“It just felt like the right thing to do,” Atchinson said Monday evening after practice.

Auburn now has 23 commitments for its 2009 class. Atchinson is the fifth linebacker who said he intends to sign with the Tigers, joining Jonathan Evans of Prichard, Ala., Donald Ford of Odenville, Ala., Harris Gaston of Bessemer, Ala., and Eltoro Freeman of Perkinston, Miss.

Atchinson said he was informed by Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville that the Tigers were going to sign five linebackers. Atchinson said he wanted to be the fifth, as the Tigers have offers extended to several other top-rated linebackers.

I wonder if this means that Petey Smith is on the outside looking in or do we take him if he commits?

i'm sure his offer has been pulled. or he didn't have good character. or he didn't have a committable offer. or he was lazy. or AU didn't really want him anyways. or Alabama cheated. or CNS lied to him. or something.

I actually agree with you. That stuff is way overboard sometimes. But so is the pompous attitude of bama fans toward recruiting. "Saban gets anyone he wants." or "We got 15 out of 15 we wanted in the state last year." or "All you guys get are 3 star recruits we don't want."

I'm just ready for the season to start so we can talk about the bottom line.

Douglass linebacker Jonathan Atchinson appears to be one of the finishing touches of Auburn’s 2009 recruiting class.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Atchinson committed to the Tigers over Alabama, among other colleges. He is a member of the AJC’s Georgia Top 150, and rated as the nation’s No. 59 outside linebacker by Rivals.

“It just felt like the right thing to do,” Atchinson said Monday evening after practice.

Auburn now has 23 commitments for its 2009 class. Atchinson is the fifth linebacker who said he intends to sign with the Tigers, joining Jonathan Evans of Prichard, Ala., Donald Ford of Odenville, Ala., Harris Gaston of Bessemer, Ala., and Eltoro Freeman of Perkinston, Miss.

Atchinson said he was informed by Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville that the Tigers were going to sign five linebackers. Atchinson said he wanted to be the fifth, as the Tigers have offers extended to several other top-rated linebackers.

I wonder if this means that Petey Smith is on the outside looking in or do we take him if he commits?

i'm sure his offer has been pulled. or he didn't have good character. or he didn't have a committable offer. or he was lazy. or AU didn't really want him anyways. or Alabama cheated. or CNS lied to him. or something.

I actually agree with you. That stuff is way overboard sometimes. But so is the pompous attitude of bama fans toward recruiting. "Saban gets anyone he wants." or "We got 15 out of 15 we wanted in the state last year." or "All you guys get are 3 star recruits we don't want."

I'm just ready for the season to start so we can talk about the bottom line.

i know. i understand this is a rivalry and all, but when it comes down to it you guys will get some guys we want, and we will get some guys you want. if people can't handle that without trying to just spew all over it and crap all over some 17 year old kid, then recruiting isn't the thing for you to follow. i agree that some of our fans go overboard about it, but its not fair to hold us ALL accountable for what others do. alot of our fans want to be considered as "at the top" but they also need to learn a little humility to go along with it.

i'm having to use pre-season NFL as my crutch until August 30th.

Or you're an idiot, and he'll still be committing to us.

but Atchison stated AU told him they were only taking 5 LB, and he was the fifth. do you mean Smith will still be committing to AU but will be told there is no more room, or that he will be committing to play a different position? a few more pounds and i suppose he could play DE, although another inch or two of height couldn't hurt either. both of which i'm sure could happen.

but Atchison stated AU told him they were only taking 5 LB, and he was the fifth. do you mean Smith will still be committing to AU but will be told there is no more room, or that he will be committing to play a different position? a few more pounds and i suppose he could play DE, although another inch or two of height couldn't hurt either. both of which i'm sure could happen.

You never know what plans the coaches have for the other LB's already signed. Some might play DE. Under CTT, Auburn often moves LB's to DL.

the guys at rivals have stated pretty clearly that we'd still take petey and/or tana at this point.

Petey is being projected as a DE, eventually. JA could be a DE if Yox gets ahold of him. BTW, Ford is a 'tweener...DE/LB, hands down some downs, standing up on others.

Link? :roflol:

Archived