Tennessee vs. UCLA game thread

AUHansel

The UCLA/UT game was exciting. Too bad UT lost though, they clearly had the game won but their D collapsed and let UCLA get back in the game.

I'd hate to be the UT kicker Daniel Lincoln right now. After he made a 47 yard FG to send the game into overtime, he misses a chip shot 34 yarder. I mean I know the angle wasn't great but still, its a 34 yard FG. Anything inside 40 yards should just about be automatic.

Anyways it was a great game, just sucks the SEC had to lose like that to the Pac 1+9.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said from the end of the play he was out of bounds and it was not a TD. A player can do that with his feet by keeping them inbounds and crossing inside the goalline. It doesn't make sense that they called it a TD even after a review when the rule book says no airborne player touching a pylon is out of bounds??

It states in the rulebook that the player is out of bounds once he hits the pylon, but if the ball has crossed the plane or simultaneous crosses the plane, then it is a TD. That is the rule whether you understand it or not.

You are contradicting yourself. Above you said the ball never has to cross the plane for it to be a touchdown.. (which is WAY WRONG) now you are saying it does?

e. When a runner dives or jumps toward the sideline and is airborne as he

crosses the sideline, forward progress is determined by the position of

the ball as it crosses the sideline (A.R. 8-2-1-III and IV).

If this is the case, which it is....there is no way the goal line extended can be used to score.... It would have to be already across the sideline BEFORE reaching the goal line extended.

It doesn't say anything about him possibly breaking the plane of the goal line extended.

How am I contradicting myself. I have stated from the beginning the the ball has to cross the goal line and that the plane of the goal line, extends beyond the sidelines. It does not, however, have to cross over the goal line over the pylon.

You stated that rule but that is a moot point. He went over the sideline but he then hit the pylon with his foot, rendering him out of bounds at that point, when his foot hit. At that point, the ball had already crossed the plane of the goal line, that extends beyond the sideline. THAT IS WHAT MAKES IT A TOUCH DOWN.

How can you say it doesn't say anything about him breaking the plane of the goal line extended. I have been tell you that the whole time. I brought out the rules that states that the goal line extends beyond the sidelines.

the plane of the goal line does not not not not not not NOT extend beyond the sidelines. that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and i have no idea how you can possibly come to the conclusion that it does by looking at that rule. NOTHING extends beyond the sidelines. those are the boundaries of the playing field.

if you are airborne, and you body is completely out of bounds but has NOT yet hit the ground, and the ball has not yet gone past the sideline, and you reach out and break the plane of the goal line IN BOUNDS before you hit the ground, it is a TD.

if you were airborne and left the playing field at the 1 yard line and the ball traveled outside of the playing field with you, then it is a dead ball at that point. you can't dive out of bounds at the one and just reach out in front of you while out of bounds and its a TD. that is the most absurd thing i have ever heard.

I said from the end of the play he was out of bounds and it was not a TD. A player can do that with his feet by keeping them inbounds and crossing inside the goalline. It doesn't make sense that they called it a TD even after a review when the rule book says no airborne player touching a pylon is out of bounds??

It states in the rulebook that the player is out of bounds once he hits the pylon, but if the ball has crossed the plane or simultaneous crosses the plane, then it is a TD. That is the rule whether you understand it or not.

You are contradicting yourself. Above you said the ball never has to cross the plane for it to be a touchdown.. (which is WAY WRONG) now you are saying it does?

If this is the case, which it is....there is no way the goal line extended can be used to score.... It would have to be already across the sideline BEFORE reaching the goal line extended.

It doesn't say anything about him possibly breaking the plane of the goal line extended.

How am I contradicting myself. I have stated from the beginning the the ball has to cross the goal line and that the plane of the goal line, extends beyond the sidelines. It does not, however, have to cross over the goal line over the pylon.

No you didn't.... here's what you said......look at post #40 above

Wow, how hard would it be to score if every touchdown had to pass over the pylon? Of course it doesn't.

Your words:

the rules(plural) that I posted are nothing of what you said. I'm am saying that if a player, is airborne and breaks the plane of the goal line, THAT EXTENDS BEYOND THE SIDELINES, all that player has to do is touch the pylon or go over it with a body part. THE BALL DOES NOT, I REPEAT DOES NOT, HAVE TO CROSS OVER ANY PART OF THE ENDZONE.
You stated that rule but that is a moot point. He went over the sideline but he then hit the pylon with his foot, rendering him out of bounds at that point, when his foot hit. At that point, the ball had already crossed the plane of the goal line, that extends beyond the sideline. THAT IS WHAT MAKES IT A TOUCH DOWN.

well, it wasn't his foot that hit the pylon, it was his left hand.

How can you say it doesn't say anything about him breaking the plane of the goal line extended. I have been tell you that the whole time. I brought out the rules that states that the goal line extends beyond the sidelines.

If what you are saying is true then why isn't this particular play that is in the NCAA rule book ruled a touchdown?

IV. The ball, in possession of airborne runner A21, crosses the sideline

above the one-yard line, penetrates the plane of the goal line

extended and is then declared dead out of bounds in possession of

A21. RULING: Ball is declared out of bounds at the one-yard line

(Rules 2-11-1 and 4-2-4-e).

According to the play it crossed the plane of the goal line extended THEN is declared dead and out of bounds, yet it isn't ruled a touchdown. Ironically it comes back to the ONE yard line where it crossed the sideline. For it to even reach the goal line extended it has to cross the sideline first....

Rule IV is not the rule in question. He did not cross it above the one yard line. I thought it was his foot, but you say it was his hand that hit the pylon. Either way, it is a TD. He is not out of bounds until he hits the pylon. In the rule, it says, and I quote "A touchdown may be scored if the ball is inbounds and has broken the

plane of the goal line before or simultaneous to the runner going out of

bounds." The last thing he touched on the field of play was the pylon. The pylon is out of bounds. He had already broken the plane of the goal line with the ball and then hit his foot or hand to the pylon. THAT WAS SIMULTANEOUS TO THE RUNNER GOING OUT OF BOUNDS. That is what the rule states. He was NOT out of bounds over the one yard line because the last part of the field he hit was the pylon!!!!!

Goal Lines

ARTICLE 1. Each goal line is part of a vertical plane separating an end zone

from the field of play when the ball is touched or is in player possession.

The plane extends beyond the sidelines (Exception: Rule 4-2-4-e). A team’s

goal line is that which it is defending (A.R. 2-11-1-I).

b. A touchdown may be scored if the ball is inbounds and has broken the

bounds.

ARTICLE 1. A touchdown shall be scored when:

a. A runner advancing from the field of play is legally in possession of a live

ball when it penetrates the opponent’s goal line (plane) (Exception: Rule

4-2-4-e) (A.R. 2-23-1-I and A.R. 8-2-1-I-IV).

bounds.

b. A player or an airborne player who touches a pylon is out of bounds.

ARTICLE 1. A touchdown shall be scored when:

a. A runner advancing from the field of play is legally in possession of a live

ball when it penetrates the opponent’s goal line (plane) (Exception: Rule

4-2-4-e) (A.R. 2-23-1-I and A.R. 8-2-1-I-IV).

b. An eligible receiver catches a legal forward pass in the opponent’s end

zone (A.R. 5-1-3-I and II).

c. A fumble or backward pass is recovered, caught, intercepted or awarded

in the opponent’s end zone (Exceptions: Rules 7-2-2-a Exception 2, 7-2-

2-b Exception 2 and 8-3-2-d-5) (A.R. 7-2-4-I).

Next, what constitutes out of bounds:

Out of Bounds at Forward Point

ARTICLE 4. a. If a live ball is declared out of bounds and the ball does not

cross a boundary line, it is out of bounds at the ball’s most forward point

when it was declared dead (A.R. 4-2-4-I).

bounds.

c. A receiver who is in the opponent’s end zone and contacting the ground

is credited with a completion if he reaches over the sideline or end line

and catches a legal pass.

d. The most forward point of the ball when declared out of bounds between

the end lines is the point of forward progress (A.R. 8-2-1-II and A.R. 8-

5-1-X).

SECTION 2. Touchdown

How Scored—ARTICLE 1

Approved Ruling 8-2-1

I. The runner is thrown or falls to the ground on his opponent’s oneyard

line, but his momentum causes him to slide across the goal line.

RULING: Not a touchdown unless the ball’s forward point was on,

above or across the goal line when any part of the runner’s body

except his hand or foot struck the ground (Rules 4-1-3-b and 5-1-3).

III. Runner A1, advancing in the field of play, becomes airborne at the

two-yard line. His first contact with the ground is out of bounds three

yards beyond the goal line. The ball, in possession of the runner,

passed over the pylon. RULING: Touchdown (Rule 4-2-4-e).

IV. The ball, in possession of airborne runner A21, crosses the sideline

above the one-yard line, penetrates the plane of the goal line

extended and is then declared dead out of bounds in possession of

A21. RULING: Ball is declared out of bounds at the one-yard line

(Rules 2-11-1 and 4-2-4-e).

rule II states what I've been trying to say. Whether or not a touchdown is scored depends on the

forward progress of the ball as related to the goal line when the ball

becomes dead by rule. The ball had crossed over the plane of the goal line before he was called out of bounds. He was not called out of bounds until he hit the pylon.

bounds.

b. A player or an airborne player who touches a pylon is out of bounds.

Because he broke the plane and hit the pylon SIMULTANEOUSLY, A TOUCHDOWN MAY BE SCORED.

runswithscissors...please oh please tell me one more time that the plane does not extend beyond the sidelines

ARTICLE 1. Each goal line is part of a vertical plane separating an end zone

from the field of play when the ball is touched or is in player possession.

The plane extends beyond the sidelines (Exception: Rule 4-2-4-e). A team’s

goal line is that which it is defending (A.R. 2-11-1-I).

and another thing

if you are airborne, and you body is completely out of bounds but has NOT yet hit the ground, and the ball has not yet gone past the sideline, and you reach out and break the plane of the goal line IN BOUNDS before you hit the ground, it is a TD.

Like I said, the plane extends beyond the sideline.

if you were airborne and left the playing field at the 1 yard line and the ball traveled outside of the playing field with you, then it is a dead ball at that point. you can't dive out of bounds at the one and just reach out in front of you while out of bounds and its a TD. that is the most absurd thing i have ever heard.

If you are not declared out of bound yet, which he was not, then you can score a TD. He did not go out over the one because the last thing he hit WAS THE PYLON. THE PYLON IS OUT OF BOUNDS. THAT IS WHEN HE WENT OUT OF BOUNDS. HOWEVER, THE RULE STATES THIS: A touchdown may be scored if the ball is inbounds and has broken the

bounds.

Let me try to explain this another way. You can decide for yourselves.

Did the ball cross over the plane before or simultaneous to the player being out of bounds?

he hit the pylon with his foot or hand, therefore that was where he went out of bounds. at that point the ball had crossed over the plane of the goal line that extends beyond the sidelines.

If you are saying that the player went out of bounds before he hit the pylon then you are right. The play was not dead until he hit the pylon. That was when the player was, by rule out of bounds. By rule, you can have the ball over the plane and score a TD in the air.

If the player went out over the one, did not hit the pylon, rendering him out of bounds before he had the ball over the plane, then it is not a TD. Because he hit the pylon when the ball had crossed over the plane, it is a TD.

Am I missing something here? I am going by exactly what the rule book says. I've posted the rules several times. I saw the play again and he did exactly what I am saying. You've read the rules and have what you have said is that he went out over the one, in the rule posted. I am saying, how can you be out over the one yard line if the last thing you hit was the pylon?

Did the ball cross over the plane before or simultaneous to the player being out of bounds?

he hit the pylon with his foot or hand, therefore that was where he went out of bounds. at that point the ball had crossed over the plane of the goal line that extends beyond the sidelines.

If you are saying that the player went out of bounds before he hit the pylon then you are right. The play was not dead until he hit the pylon. That was when the player was, by rule out of bounds. By rule, you can have the ball over the plane and score a TD in the air.

If the player went out over the one, did not hit the pylon, rendering him out of bounds before he had the ball over the plane, then it is not a TD. Because he hit the pylon when the ball had crossed over the plane, it is a TD.

Am I missing something here? I am going by exactly what the rule book says. I've posted the rules several times. I saw the play again and he did exactly what I am saying. You've read the rules and have what you have said is that he went out over the one, in the rule posted. I am saying, how can you be out over the one yard line if the last thing you hit was the pylon?

But the ball had already crossed the sideline out of bounds, b/c it was in his right hand out away from his body. I still don't know why or how they declared it a TD, according to what I have read from the rulebook it seems to me he should have been declared out of bounds at the 1/2 yard line or 1 yard line? I don't know, I didn't think it was a TD to begin with and they were going to over turn it, but they didn't so....

But the ball had already crossed the sideline out of bounds, b/c it was in his right hand out away from his body. I still don't know why or how they declared it a TD, according to what I have read from the rulebook it seems to me he should have been declared out of bounds at the 1/2 yard line or 1 yard line? I don't know, I didn't think it was a TD to begin with and they were going to over turn it, but they didn't so....

even if he went over the sideline out of bounds before the goal line, it didn't matter because he hit the pylon. Because he hit the pylon, the last part of the field he touched, it was a TD. That is what I've been trying to explain.

I think the point of this discussion needs to move away from the goal line extended. The only thing that matters is that the BALL must be inbounds in order to score when it breaks the plane of the goal line. When you read the exception in 4-2-4e, it clearly states that forward progress for the ball stops at the spot the ball crosses the sideline when in the possession of an airborne player later ruled out of bounds.

Consider this: the airborne player crosses the side line at the 5-yardline, continues in the air for 10 more yards (yes I realize that I am exaggerating) first making contact with the ground 5-yards beyond the goal line extended and without having touched anyone or anything out of bounds. The ball’s forward progress returns it to the 5-yard line. The ball must be between the sidelines in order to score: the position of the player is irrelevant in scoring as long as he has not done anything to cause the ball to become dead by rule.

Bear in mind that in nearly every sport, there are few instances when only one rule decides anything. Sports officials have to apply rules from several sections of the rulebook in order to make a final determination. Naturally, the first rules that come into play are the definitions. Then you factor in the other sections from the rulebook and determine how to apply those to the play. In this instance, you need the definitions of the sideline, the goal line, forward progress, and then the rules that determine scoring, and the spot at which the ball becomes dead.

To give you a final answer on the goal line extended, yes, it extends beyond the sidelines as stated in 2-11-1; however, you cannot score unless the ball is between the sidelines as explained in the exception quoted in the rule. The exception for the goal line extending beyond the sidelines, 4-2-4e states, “When a runner dives or jumps toward the sideline and is airborne as he crosses the sideline, forward progress is determined by the position of the ball as it crosses the sideline (A.R. 8-2-1-III and IV).

Note the Approved Ruling 8-2-IV: The ball, in possession of airborne runner A21, crosses the sideline above the one-yard line, penetrates the plane of the goal line extended and is then declared dead out of bounds in possession of A21. RULING: Ball is declared out of bounds at the one-yard line.

If the runner, who carries the ball in his right hand with his arm stretched over the sideline crosses the goal line while he is inbounds, and the ball breaks the goal line extended simultaneous to him crossing the goal line, that is a TD.

The ball is out of bounds, and becomes dead, if it touches anything/anyone (except another player or game official) out of bounds. A player is out of bounds, and the ball declared dead, if he touches anything/anyone (except another player or game official) out of bounds. The position of the ball matters as long as the ball remains inbounds by rule. The run ends at the ball’s forward most point relevant to the last time the player was inbounds. If an airborne player holding the ball out in front of him stretches the ball over the line to gain, and the player makes contact with ground just short of the line to gain, a new series begins. Had the player carried the ball in the hand away from the sideline, and while airborne he touched something out of bounds, the ball becomes dead at the forward most point of the ball at the time the player went out of bounds.

Simply put, both the player and the ball must be inbounds to score.

William

:ua:

How about this: It was ruled a touchdown on the field and the the video evidence wasn't adequate to overturn the call regardless of the NCAA rules.

I shocked when they said the play stands because even before they review it I knew he hadn't crossed the plane.

For sake of argument: The ball was dead at the 1 by sheer logistics because his left hand hit the pylon.

I think the point of this discussion needs to move away from the goal line extended. The only thing that matters is that the BALL must be inbounds in order to score when it breaks the plane of the goal line. When you read the exception in 4-2-4e, it clearly states that forward progress for the ball stops at the spot the ball crosses the sideline when in the possession of an airborne player later ruled out of bounds.

Consider this: the airborne player crosses the side line at the 5-yardline, continues in the air for 10 more yards (yes I realize that I am exaggerating) first making contact with the ground 5-yards beyond the goal line extended and without having touched anyone or anything out of bounds. The ball’s forward progress returns it to the 5-yard line. The ball must be between the sidelines in order to score: the position of the player is irrelevant in scoring as long as he has not done anything to cause the ball to become dead by rule.

Bear in mind that in nearly every sport, there are few instances when only one rule decides anything. Sports officials have to apply rules from several sections of the rulebook in order to make a final determination. Naturally, the first rules that come into play are the definitions. Then you factor in the other sections from the rulebook and determine how to apply those to the play. In this instance, you need the definitions of the sideline, the goal line, forward progress, and then the rules that determine scoring, and the spot at which the ball becomes dead.

To give you a final answer on the goal line extended, yes, it extends beyond the sidelines as stated in 2-11-1; however, you cannot score unless the ball is between the sidelines as explained in the exception quoted in the rule. The exception for the goal line extending beyond the sidelines, 4-2-4e states, “When a runner dives or jumps toward the sideline and is airborne as he crosses the sideline, forward progress is determined by the position of the ball as it crosses the sideline (A.R. 8-2-1-III and IV).

Note the Approved Ruling 8-2-IV: The ball, in possession of airborne runner A21, crosses the sideline above the one-yard line, penetrates the plane of the goal line extended and is then declared dead out of bounds in possession of A21. RULING: Ball is declared out of bounds at the one-yard line.

If the runner, who carries the ball in his right hand with his arm stretched over the sideline crosses the goal line while he is inbounds, and the ball breaks the goal line extended simultaneous to him crossing the goal line, that is a TD.

The ball is out of bounds, and becomes dead, if it touches anything/anyone (except another player or game official) out of bounds. A player is out of bounds, and the ball declared dead, if he touches anything/anyone (except another player or game official) out of bounds. The position of the ball matters as long as the ball remains inbounds by rule. The run ends at the ball’s forward most point relevant to the last time the player was inbounds. If an airborne player holding the ball out in front of him stretches the ball over the line to gain, and the player makes contact with ground just short of the line to gain, a new series begins. Had the player carried the ball in the hand away from the sideline, and while airborne he touched something out of bounds, the ball becomes dead at the forward most point of the ball at the time the player went out of bounds.

Simply put, both the player and the ball must be inbounds to score.

William

II. Runner A1, while attempting to score, strikes the pylon located on

the right intersection of the goal line and sideline with his foot. He is

carrying the ball in his right arm, which is extended over the sideline.

RULING: Whether or not a touchdown is scored depends on the

forward progress of the ball as related to the goal line when the ball

becomes dead by rule (Rules 4-2-4-d and 5-1-3-a)

The ball became dead by rule when the player hit the pylon. I've said this so many times. IF you are saying that he went OUT OF BOUNDS, airborne over the one, then you are right. I am saying that the player had broken the plane of the goal line SIMULTANEOUS to him going out of bounds, rendering the play a TD.

How about this: It was ruled a touchdown on the field and the the video evidence wasn't adequate to overturn the call regardless of the NCAA rules.

I shocked when they said the play stands because even before they review it I knew he hadn't crossed the plane.

For sake of argument: The ball was dead at the 1 by sheer logistics because his left hand hit the pylon.

bounds.

That rule is from the book. Yes the pylon is out of bounds. BUT, if he had the ball over the plane, which he did, before or when he hit the pylon, it is a TD.

If you hold to that logic, then it is possible for the ball to continue forward progress while the player is airborne outside of the sideline. Forward progress would stop at the point where the ball is when ruled dead because the player eventually touches something out of bounds.

The ball became dead when the player struck the pylon. The ball had not yet crossed the goal line, extended or otherwise. Perhaps this will illustrate the point better: the end of the run is retroactive to the point where ball crossed the sideline in the possession of the airborne player, once the ball becomes dead by rule.

I can tell you that as a game official for a quarter of a century, we take great pains when inspecting the field to make sure that the pylons are perfectly set. If the pylons lean even a little, we toss them from the field. We remove any chance that a misplaced pylon makes the correct call look bad. You see officials do this most often on baseball fields when the umpires take the field and erase the lines of the batter’s box. An improperly placed line provides an opportunity for an argument. No line at all removes the opportunity.

I agree with your assessment of ruling a TD when the runner, carrying the ball in his right hand, strikes the pylon on the right side of the field with his right foot. In that case, the runner is inbounds until he touched the pylon AND the ball crossed the goal line extended while both the player and ball were inbounds. In the case of the play in question, the runner is airborne on the outside of the sideline and touches the pylon before the ball crosses the plane of the goal line extended. Had the ball crossed the plane of the goal line extended prior to, or simultaneous with touching the pylon, then ruling it a TD would be correct.

The fact that the review failed to change the call made on the field does not necessarily mean that the officials made the correct call. It only means that not enough video evidence was available to correct the call. The reviewing officials could also make the mistake of not applying the rule correctly. (We have all seen that happen.) Even the review crew screws up on occasion. I do not condemn the officials for making a bad ruling on the field or during the review. Those guys are under an incredible amount of pressure, especially during the review process. They know that everyone at home is watching 40 different angles playing in super-slow-mo. They also know that half the fans in the stadium are watching on the big screens in the stadium, or on their handheld TV screens. Trust me when I tell you that the officials have reviewed that play more times than anyone else involved in the game. The officials take those videos and learn from them – especially when they find the video that shows that they made the wrong call.

There is always one way to end an argument when it comes to a controversial call: how did it go down in the scorebook? Whether or not the call was right makes no difference; the way it shows on the scoreboard at the end of the game is all that matters.

Will

I agree the officiating is BS. That was a safety in my opinion (at the very least, the ball was on the goal line, which is NOT a safety, but it was nowhere near the 1/2 yard line). And that was not a Touchdown. But, they would've scored the TD on the next play.

If UT doesn't come down on this drive and run it down field, I will be very disappointed with the play calling by UT. They should be destroying UCLA, but have not been taking advantage of all their opportunities (field position, turnovers, a great running game, etc.). Maybe MSU can beat them after all. Maybe I should go back to my 0-5 SEC start, rather than 1-4 I stated in the previous post. Gosh, this is going to be difficult.

No doubt that was a safety. I'll disagree with the part about it being on the goal line not being a safety. The ball has to be completely OUT of the endzone for it not to be a safety. The goal line is part of the endzone, not the field of play.

According to Todd, he stated that for a safety, the ball has to be completely in the endzone. It is like a touchdown. For a TD, the ball needs to just break the plane. It is the same to get the ball out of the endzone for Safety purposes. It just needs to reach the line. I am not an expert and I did not know the answer. This is just what Todd said during the replay.

Anyone watching the colts game. And maybe pro is different.. but they are saying the entire ball has to be out of the endzone to avoid a safety.

Archived