How long to right the ship

the deacon

What concerns me more than anything is the fact that we have either been unable or unwilling to attract the HUGE linemen that Bammer had on display last night, both on D and O. Even the announcers commented on our undersized linemen and small LB's. In the past Tubs has gone for smaller players with speed. That won't work against a team committed to the run with giant linemen to make to go. Also, the coaching difference was evident. That bunch executed better and opened the holes. Hell, I could have run behind that line. Finally, the zone blocking and zone defense in the secondary won't work against the tall, lanky, fast receivers. You have to aggressively cover man to man and you'd better have jumpers to defense it. I thought the Secondary played more aggressive last night than they have all year, which was good, but we made too many mistakes both on offense and defense. I wonder what Tubs is committed to and how long it will take to get the right players on board OR if he can do it at all. Bammer seems to have taken over recruiting when we go head to head with prospects and Florida and Georgia are their usual good recruiters. Does that leave Tubs with the leftovers? I'm not panicking but I'm concerned. True, our coaching in terms of fundamentals and a new offensive scheme can change fast during the spring and fall, but how fast can the personnel be changed to match the scheme and how aggressive will Tubs and staff be in doing that? I give him one to two years max. IMO, Tubs has shown this year how detached he is from the general coaching of t his team and verified his image as a CEO rather than an ON THE FIELD coach. A team plays with the character and demeanor of the coach and Tubs will put you to sleep. He'd better change that or get someone on the practice field who can be really hands on and emotional. Having said all that , I do feel another beatdown in JHS next year would be his death knell. JMO

As we've been in the midst of an overhaul all season, I'd say overhaul. The offense is not a play or two away from being good--we are far away from being a competitive offensive team. From a scheme perspective, we are in need of total overhaul. We didn't run anything close to the offense Franklin is known for coaching or the offensive Tuberville wanted to run.

Our coaching staff spent so long preparing for a speed offense this year that they got away from training toughness in our O-line and it really showed. I've said before I feel a good bit of this can be tied to the style we were training for. The O-line lost strength while gaining endurance; in that regard, we need to tweak our conditioning program. They obviously need to have athletes capable of maintaining tempo but I really feel like this teamm could have benefited from some additional strength training. If you tweak the style of weight training you can actually increase endurance exponentially. It is possible to have under-sized lineman that can win in the trenches against bigger defensive lineman if they have the strength. I personally feel our S&C Coach should be shown the door with the offensive staff.

On the defense, we're fine. Yes, this defense looked bad at times but when they're playing 45 of 60 minutes every Saturday of course they're going to give up big plays. They kept the game close in the beginning but our inept offense put them in a position they could not win. Rhoades is a good DC and Tuberville always stocks quality defensive players. If we get an offense that can at least give the D an extended rest, it'll take care of itself.

We need a new kicker!

I do think we have issues to deal with..we need o-line support. I think our starting 5 were good, apart from the penalties, but we needed some quality backups. We need playmakers at receiver. Real deep threat playmakers.

We need a KICKER!! We need one that can be lights out from 40 yards and less, and pretty reliable from 40 to 50 yds.

My question is Kodi Burns! Is he our future? Bammer made a point of stacking the line in order to make kodi make plays, and he couldn't. If he gets a coordinator that can take advantage of his skills, maybe things will be different, but right now i am not sure.

I believe we need more overall team speed on offense and much better quarterback play. Do we have the athletes now? I not sure we do, but in my humble opinion that is what we where I would put my recruiting efforts. First and foremost is a big time qb.

We need a Qb that can make good quick decisions and a cannon arm,basically a NFL caliber QB freshman.

But most of all a QB that can just throw the ball well.

Next a OL that can give him time to check down, at least to WR number II.

Then that will fix the running problem automatically.

Defense....we need to find better LB's Bynes is all we got right now.And more guys like Marcus Washington,Reggie Torbor and Tracy Rocker,Ron Stallworth and Benji Roland on the line.

The offense is terrible, any way to spin it, currenlty ranked around 110 out of 119 teams. The offense needs a total overall, bar no player or coach.

Clearly, the most underperforming part of the team is the OL, and it's not even close. The offense cannot run or pass, and it is because there are no holes opened for the runners and the QBs have no time to pass. It's not just this season either, it started in 2006 and has steadily gone downhill from then.

Until new OL personnel are brought in and contribute, the offense is going to get no better regardless who is passing, running, or catching the ball.

The OL problems are systemic. It's both recruiting and coaching. Maybe the coaching will improve next season, but besides Jermaine Johnson, who is yet to hit campus, I think the OL is going to continue to struggle for at least another 2-3 years, barring some recruiting miracles.

Tuberville etal better hit the road and recruit their a**es off to bring in a few more OLs who have a chance to contribute next season-- juco, h.s., it doesn't matter. Tuberville will lose his job if the OL does not significantly improve next season.

I think the problems at most the other offensive positions are coaching. Auburn has good athletes for the most part, but they rarely improve over their 4-5 years-- that's coaching.

To Tuberville's credit, the defense has always been better than average, and I don't see any major issues there, maybe just a little more depth/experience is all that is needed.

I don't see why it can't be turned around in one year. The o-line had a lot of promise after the '07 season. Then came the confusion....Whatever we do offensively in the spring, we need to stick with that through the season.

UAT turned their offense around in one year. I'm pretty sure we can do the same, and it won't require a complete overhaul and replacement of players. The new coordinator will simply have to get everybody on the same page and keep them there.

I'm not ready to write Burns off at QB. He could be a great fit for the spread, if we're going to go with an Oklahoma or West Virginia type of spread offense.

Why do some of you think we can't turn this around in one year?

After the disappointing 2003 season, may I point out the 2004 season as one example. Heck, why not point out the season the Turds have had this year as a more recent example. Let's look at another sport such as baseball....the Tampa Bay Devil Rays ring a bell?

Yeah, high expectations for next year would be a bit much, but CTT has already shown he can turn a team around in a season, so why doubt he can do it again. Our 2003 team, JC looked pitiful and Ronnie and Caddy stayed hurt. Tre Smith had to start the Iron Bowl and beat UAT with that 100 yard game of his. Then what happened the next year? JC became a stud, surprising the majority of AU fans (including me) that thought he there was no way he could get the job done. Ronnie and Caddy finally showed what they could so.

When does baseball season start? ;)

Why do some of you think we can't turn this around in one year?

After the disappointing 2003 season, may I point out the 2004 season as one example. Heck, why not point out the season the Turds have had this year as a more recent example. Let's look at another sport such as baseball....the Tampa Bay Devil Rays ring a bell?

Yeah, high expectations for next year would be a bit much, but CTT has already shown he can turn a team around in a season, so why doubt he can do it again. Our 2003 team, JC looked pitiful and Ronnie and Caddy stayed hurt. Tre Smith had to start the Iron Bowl and beat UAT with that 100 yard game of his. Then what happened the next year? JC became a stud, surprising the majority of AU fans (including me) that thought he there was no way he could get the job done. Ronnie and Caddy finally showed what they could so.

When does baseball season start? ;)

probably cause in 04 anyone could have coached that team to a perfect record with 4 first round draft picks. Fact is TT is a terrible overpayed coach and the football team will continue to be bad until a new coach is brought in.

Some of you "Auburn" fans never cease to amaze me.

Tubberville has ONE season to get this straight. Auburn has to go 8-4 at the least to give him another year. I think we will go 9-3, but who knows. Stranger (Alabama 7-6 to 12-0) things have happended.

My 2 cents-again-we need a Special Teams Coach, not someone who does it on the side.

I thought I'd look into that a little deeper. Even in a crap year, I thought ST was pretty good and I think Gran does a good job w/ST. Granted, better FG would have won a few games for us the ST also had us in some other games that we wouldn't have been in otherwise. All units must pull their weight. I think ST and defense did most of the time, but could stand improvement. Offensive problems still seem to be the key component not hitting.

Punt Return:

Auburn: 13 YPR with 1 TD

Opposition: 7 YPR with 0 TD

Kick Return:

Auburn: 24 YPR with 2 TD

Opposition: 21.5 YPR with 0 TD

Field Goals (even though they have hurt us, the other side should balance it out- same numbers)

Auburn: 11/20 one was blocked

Opposition: 11/20 two were blocked

Punting:

Auburn: 41.5 YPP one was blocked

Opposition: 40 YPP two were blocked

PAT:

Auburn: 92%

Opposition: 86.3%

For the original question, I think the right OC and philosophy will be able to make a big turn in a year assuming the personell fit. I think they will since CTT has implied we'll need big power guys and speedsters. The guys in place and the current class will give us a pretty good mixture of options to pull from. Two years will do it for sure.

Archived