Worsening recruiting tread?

aucat

While I think Lebo has gotten the most out of our average talent, the recruiting is just unacceptable. With a new arena, facilities, and the amount of money being thrown into recruiting we should be able to attract better talent. I thought it may improve finally with the next class, but they are underwhelming me yet again. May need to flush Lebo and go buy a big name if we can't dance this year.

I checked 2004-2010 recruiting records, it looks like we are getting less and less avg. *, any thougts?

:homer::(

I thought we'd gotten 3 players in the last month or so.

While I think Lebo has gotten the most out of our average talent, the recruiting is just unacceptable. With a new arena, facilities, and the amount of money being thrown into recruiting we should be able to attract better talent. I thought it may improve finally with the next class, but they are underwhelming me yet again. May need to flush Lebo and go buy a big name if we can't dance this year.

Lets just hold onto Lebo long enough to get UNC down here for the new arena's opening season. Without Lebo=NO UNC.

Lets just hold onto Lebo long enough to get UNC down here for the new arena's opening season. Without Lebo=NO UNC.

Are we actually getting UNC to come to our house? I haven't heard anything like that before.

Are we actually getting UNC to come to our house? I haven't heard anything like that before.

There was an article a few months back about it where Lebo stated that him and Roy Williams have had discussions about UNC coming in at some point next season. It may not be the opener but sometime in the preseason according to the article. The only reason UNC would do this is because Lebo is a former Tar Heel.

• 4 weeks later...

My question is why would we want to have Roy Williams and UNC come in and kick our ass on national tv to open a new arena? How about scheduling a game against a winnable opponent. UAB would a nice team to play to open it up. In state interest and some national interest as well due to UAB's success over the past ten years or so.

Playing UNC on opening night might lead to more exposure, but probably negative when people realize, "Yep, it's the same old Auburn. A football school."

• 3 weeks later...

I follow the basketball team during the season, but don't know a ton about the recruiting. I was reading an ESPN article (their "Blue Ribbon" analysis) and there were two references to Lebo getting a good class. One line was that Lebo had already "taken advantage of the new building, bringing in his most talented recruiting class to date."

Is there a list somewhere (free) of who we have coming in and how they are ranked?

My question is why would we want to have Roy Williams and UNC come in and kick our ass on national tv to open a new arena? How about scheduling a game against a winnable opponent. UAB would a nice team to play to open it up. In state interest and some national interest as well due to UAB's success over the past ten years or so.

Playing UNC on opening night might lead to more exposure, but probably negative when people realize, "Yep, it's the same old Auburn. A football school."

UAB and Auburn bball has no interest by anyone outside of this state. UNC may very well come in here and throttle Auburn but the buzz and excitement it would generate would be tremendous for the program. Everyone would be expecting us to lose but if we won, wow what a moment on National TV. I dont think UAB vs Auburn would even get national tv coverage. Plus, I would imagine the only way to get tickets to the UNC game would be to buy season tickets which would generate more money for Auburn.

But really why not schedule both? Our non-conference schedule has been a joke for many years. Auburn has fickle basketball fans that like to come out for name teams no matter how poor our team is. There is a reason why the arena has significant higher attendance figuires for Kentucky, Florida, and Alabama every year than the rest of the games on the schedule.

• 3 months later...

:no:

I remembered that Kov is the last highly recruited (4*) player, but he's originally recruited by cliff? We 've never got any player better then 4*

:homer:

My question is why would we want to have Roy Williams and UNC come in and kick our ass on national tv to open a new arena?

Exactly! I don't want 'em down here. Lets get a new coach, some better players and see how we do against UNC in the Big Dance two or three years down the road.

I'll have many more thoughts if we tank this year. I'm looking for at least some bubble action from the Tigers.

Which side of the bubble are you on now? <_<

Like you I was optimistic in September. Not so much in February. Hopefully they will make a run and make me eat those words.

Archived