Future of the SEC Baseball Tournament

Five cities plan to bid against Hoover for SEC Baseball Tournament

Jon Solomon -- The Birmingham News

Five cities, including Montgomery, are expected to compete against Hoo ver in the first open-bid process for the SEC Baseball Tournament when pro posals arrive this week.

Bid packages for 2012 and beyond were sent to Hoover, Memphis, Duluth, Ga., Jacksonville, Fla., Jackson, Miss., Little Rock, Ark., and Montgomery, SEC Assistant Commissioner Craig Mattox said. Little Rock responded Monday that it won't bid because its stadium is smaller than the SEC's preference of at least 10,000 seats.

One year remains on the SEC con tract with Hoover's 22-year-old Re gions Park, which has been the tour nament host since 1998. Montgomery will bid to play at 7,000-seat Riverwalk Stadium, built in 2004 for the Class AA Montgomery Biscuits.

"We will be putting in a bid," said Dawn Hathcock, vice president of the Montgomery Area Chamber of Com merce Convention and Visitor Bureau. "We will be able to make accommoda tions to seat more than the 7,000. Offi cials with the stadium say it can be done."

Proposals are due Friday with a final decision still months away. Mattox said he anticipated sending requests for proposals only to Hoover, Mem phis and Duluth but received addi tional inquiries.

"There was a lot more interest than I thought there would be," Mattox said. "We've never gone through the bid process before, so I'm going to be kind of anxious to see the financial proposals, what the other fa cilities are like and if they're able to meet all of our requirements."

Read more...

Should the tournament remain in Hoover? Or would you be in favor of changing up the venue?

29202_404588992365_115637042365_4113911_7846119_n.jpg

Being that I live 10 minutes from Region's Park (I can actually see the fireworks after Baron's Games from my backyard), I want it to stay in Hoover.

Being that I live 10 minutes from Region's Park (I can actually see the fireworks after Baron's Games from my backyard), I want it to stay in Hoover.

Well, since I live about 15 minutes from Riverwalk Stadium; I say Montgomery :moon:

How does the facility in Montgomery compare with Regions Park?

Blows it away, That park in Montgomery is arguably the nicest non-mlb park in the south, if not the country. Living in HSV I would actually go to the minor league games here if we had a stadium like they have in Montgomery compared to the dump we have here.

How does the facility in Montgomery compare with Regions Park?

Blows it away, That park in Montgomery is arguably the nicest non-mlb park in the south, if not the country. Living in HSV I would actually go to the minor league games here if we had a stadium like they have in Montgomery compared to the dump we have here.

I have been to Riverwalk and it is really nice...Trustmark Park in Jackson (Braves AA) is really nice as well and i would think they had just as good of a shot as hosting as Montgomery does.

If it moves...i would like to see it go to either of those places...

Either Hoover or Montgomery works. Montgomery's stadium is pretty sweet. Plus, I live in Auburn now. The Hoover Met just is home. (Went to Hoover High and parents live 5 minutes from park).

Anyone know where the heck in Duluth they are targetting? I have to assume they are looking at CoolRay Field, which doesn't have a Duluth address. It is a fantasic facility and the location makes sense but I would say spread the wealth around the region One Link

Archived