Atlanta vs. New Orleans

au9596

OK, so I need some insight. If you watched the Atlanta Falcons vs. New Orleans Saints game tonight - did you catch the PI call on New Orleans and then go on to see the Falcons fumble and turnover the ball on 2nd and goal? I was watching the game with my Father In Law and as soon as the PI was called told him that was a dumb mistake by New Orleans and the Falcons would score a TD. He said that it was a good PI penalty by New Orleans to save a TD by the Falcons. I told him no DB in his right mind would give a PI like that one and give the opponent 1st and goal in the NFL. Of course it worked out b/c the Falcons fumbled and turned the ball over. Who is right? The fumble cost the Falcons the game, but come on, no DB commits a PI on purpose in the NFL to give the opponent 1st and goal do they? I think the Falcons were between the 20 and 30 yard line of the Saints when this occured, cannot remember!

I don't think it was intentional.

My understanding of some of the NFL rules are a bit hazy. I didn't even know that a PI in the endzone resulted in the ball being spotted on the 1 yard line.

(Those refs were pretty terrible tonight, by the way.)

My Father In Laws whole argument was that it was a good PI penalty b/c the Falcons receiver would have caught the ball without the penalty. I tried to tell him he was nuts and that no DB in the NFL would give up a PI call in the end zone to spot the ball at the 1 yard line for 1st and goal. Of course it may make sense depending on our philosophy, if they are already inside the 5 yard line and you are mismatched.

I don't think think it makes sense for an NFL DB to take a PI penalty in the end zone unless they are already inside the 10 or 15 and a TD is certain on the play which they decide to interfere on.

Sounds like this was just some bad timing for you to have the discussion with your father in law.

I don't think think it makes sense for an NFL DB to take a PI penalty in the end zone unless they are already inside the 10 or 15 and a TD is certain on the play which they decide to interfere on.

Sounds like this was just some bad timing for you to have the discussion with your father in law.

Yes, I guess so. It just makes no sense in this particular situation to intentionally draw a penalty for pass interference. The bad part is my wife is sick and tired of us arguing football and whether I am wrong or right she sides with him and says I should just shut my mouth. That is so hard!!!! Especially when I am right!!

... my wife is sick and tired of us arguing football and whether I am wrong or right she sides with him and says I should just shut my mouth. That is so hard!!!! Especially when I am right!!

If you want to stay married, you will learn that arguing with your wife, ESPECIALLY when you are right, is counterproductive. Learn to swallow your pride.

If you want good arguments, you can always come here.

As for your point, I did not see the play, but defenders are taught to commit PI rather than give up an easy TD. The specifics of the situation might vary by coaching staff and how much faith they have in their goal line defense. Then again, you're relying on sometimes very young men to process situational details in an instant, and sometimes they make choices in the heat of battle that their coaches will chew them out for afterward. Did they show any sideline interaction after the play?

Porter was getting whipped. He was either getting flat out beat or getting called for interference. To top it off, he was getting a little chippy. To me, it looked like another sloppy play on his part. However, if you're beat, I dont know why you wouldn't do something to keep points from being scored, no matter how unlikely it is that the defense can put up a stop.

I agree with b65 here, which means your father-in-law is right. I watch plenty of NFL, and usually the corners are with their receivers fine. In this case, he got burnt, and was either trying to time his contact with the ball (or just get lucky, as he didn't look back), or it was intentional, kinda like we've seen Demond do when he's burnt. It's to give yourself another play, as that receiver had a 90%+ (my number) chance of making the catch. And then Michael Turner fumbles it by going right into the pile, after already having been stopped on 1st down, and the guy tackling him had his arms in just the right place to pop the ball loose (he wasn't stripping it). That was his first fumble of the season.

The way the defenses were playing last night I would have committed the foul too... The defenses were stepping up pretty much all night so I like my chances on the 1 more than I do him dropping a can of corn

By giving it to them on the 1 you still give yourself a chance at holding them to a field goal or having something good happen like them fumbling

Archived