Good Question

jw 4 au

On 790 the Zone this morning, they ask the question who is the most beloved football player in the history of your college? Steak and Nick claim it is Cam Newton at Auburn, and were shocked when everybody else called in and said they were crazy, no doubt it is Bo Jackson. Chris had the best point, Cam had the best single season in college football history, but Bo embodies everything Auburn.

My top five in order would be Bo, Pat Dye, Cam Newton, Pat Sullivan, and Kodi Burns. Tubs is right there with them. Very close top four for me. (Note: Even though they said football player, they included coaches and debated Spurrier vs. Tebow vs. Weurffel at Florida)

What say you?

Before I reply, I'd like to see a list of which players buy season tickets, regularly attend ballgames, and examples of how they give back to the university.

If the Camtroversy had never broke out, I could see him being in the top 5. Not that he was guilty of anything, but it brought a lot of angst at the time. Also, I agree with the sentiment that it needs to be someone who brought notoriety to the university and continued to support it after his career was over. Now, since we are talking about players specifically, I think there's no question that Bo Jackson is the most beloved AU player in history. No, he didn't win an MNC, but he continues to bring good to the university and is an incredible football presence to this day. If Cam comes back at times and contributes to the atmosphere at Auburn, he can be right up there with Bo, but it's going to take a few years for that to occur.

I think there is a time aspect to being the "most beloved." I think it's definitely Bo for Auburn. Cam had the greatest single season in Auburn history, but does anyone really think he's a better athlete/player than Bo? Really? Part of that is the Bo mystic stemming from the Nike ads, Super Tecmo Bowl, the MLB All-Star game, etc. Part of it comes from just watching him. He (more than anyone I've seen before or since) defies description. Add in the fact that he loves Auburn, has overcome challenges to achieve off-field success (e.g. the stuttering), etc. He's the most beloved Auburn player ever. Hands down.

Tebow is up there with Spurrier because he stayed when he didn't have to stay, but as an outsider, Steve Spurrier is still the face of Florida football. He won a Heisman, came back to coach there, put them on the map, won a national title, and did it all with flair. For me, he defines them, but Tebow is up there. If Cam choose to stay at Auburn this year, he could've elevated his level of "belovedness"; instead he'll just be remembered for greatness. Heck, he won't even be remembered as the most beloved player on his own team. That honor almost unquestionably belongs to Kodi Burns.

Bo Jackson

Takeo Spikes

Carnell Williams

Cam Newton

Kevin Yoxall and Chet Williams for coaches, b/c I believe both those guys significantly contributed to a lot of what Auburn is about.

The author of this thread (jw4au) listed coach Dye in his top 5 of most beloved Tigers, not just players, so it shocks me to be the first to add...Shug Jordan.

My top 5 in no particluar order

Shug

Dye

Bo

Sullivan

pick a Rocker

IMO, it has to be Bo Jackson with Pat Sullivan close behind.

I do believe that Cameron Newton had the most dynamic season in school history but he was a one and done player by choice. I think when you think of being a "beloved" individual, giving back to the school must be considered. Bo and Pat delivered at Auburn as student atheletes and returned later in life to help Auburn. Pat did it as a radio broadcaster, assistant coach and mentor. Bo has returned to Auburn as a mentor and ambassador of Auburn. Both also received their degrees from Auburn University. Only time will tell what Newton will GIVE back to Auburn but for now, Bo and Pat are wait out front in this race.

Imagine what it would have meant for Cameron to return in 2011, passing up obvious millions of dollars and enduring more negative press for an entire year. The last 2 months at Auburn had to be extremely difficult for Cam and I'm sure it factored in his decision to leave for the NFL. Can you imagine how beloved he would have became had he announced he was coming back for his senior year because he wanted one more year to be a part of the Auburn family? WE WOULD HAVE GONE NUTS.

The author of this thread (jw4au) listed coach Dye in his top 5 of most beloved Tigers, not just players, so it shocks me to be the first to add...Shug Jordan.

My top 5 in no particluar order

Shug

Dye

Bo

Sullivan

pick a Rocker

Well, his description said players so that's why I didn't mention him but he is certainly a candidate for top 3.

My screen name ought to be a big clue.

Exactly. it is impossible to name one player as the all time favorite but I guarantee you no one left more blood and guts on the field than Terry Beasley.

Bo Jackson

Takeo Spikes

Carnell Williams

Cam Newton

Kevin Yoxall and Chet Williams for coaches, b/c I believe both those guys significantly contributed to a lot of what Auburn is about.

Agree. They don't get enough credit for all they do.

Pat Sullivan

Terry Beasley

Bo Jackson

Tracy Rocker

Shug Jordan

Pat Dye

I hope to one day add Gene Chizik to my list.

I really don't understand how some of you don't have Cam Newton in your top 5. To each his own I guess.

If you asked me top 5 players (defined by accomplishments on the football field), he's a lock. Probably #1 or #2 behind Bo.

But if you ask my favorite players, I think Cam is hindered there by only playing here one year. It was an amazing year, no doubt. But the love affair Auburn people have with the ones I and others have mentioned comes partly because they were here for 3 or 4 seasons. We got to know them better.

Several have listed Dye or Jordan. The question asked for favorite players, not coaches.

PT, sorry about the confusion. The guys on the radio said "What player embodies your football program? Who could rob a bank in your college town and get away with it? etc.", but they included Steve Spurrier in the discussion for Florida. So I opened it up to include coaches.

I really don't understand how some of you don't have Cam Newton in your top 5. To each his own I guess.

If you asked me top 5 players (defined by accomplishments on the football field), he's a lock. Probably #1 or #2 behind Bo.

But if you ask my favorite players, I think Cam is hindered there by only playing here one year. It was an amazing year, no doubt. But the love affair Auburn people have with the ones I and others have mentioned comes partly because they were here for 3 or 4 seasons. We got to know them better.

Titan, I understand what you are saying and mean, and actually agree with you somewhat; but the question was really "Who is the most beloved football personallity at your school who could get away with robbing bank?" Cam Newton was the most instrumental piece of the puzzle of one of the greatest Auburn teams in history, helped bring Auburn our second national championship, our first BCS National Championship, our THIRD heisman trophy winner, probably a first rounder in the NFL draft, all while living through the plight of a recruiting scandel and media outlashing unlike any ever seen before in college football (and mostly unfair in my opinion), and he remained a respectful Auburn man the entire season. I agree he is not up there close with Bo yet, but if he stays an Auburn man for life, and I expect he will, I think he will be right there with Bo as 1 and 2. But still I would think he could be considered in most peoples top 5 at least just one this one season alone. We won the national championship for crying out loud!!! That is why I posted this thread though. The guys on the radio, not Auburn men by any means, were extremely shocked that Auburn people did not think he number one on our most beloved list, higher than Bo Jackson.

So if we alter the question to include coaches...

I think Shug Jordan has to be at the top. Our stadium is named after him, for gosh sake, and for good reason.

Of course, like so many "greatest" polls, the responses are slanted by time. Not as many people still around that remember Coach Jordan, but he is universally loved by those of us that do. Likewise, for those of us old enough to remember, Pat Sullivan is as beloved as Bo, even if Bo was the more phenomenal athlete. (And yeah, it's almost impossible to think about Sullivan without thinking about Beasley.) And what about Tucker Fredrickson or Mike "Capt. Crunch" Kolen? Are you with me, you other old farts? :rolleyes:

More recently, Tre Smith will always be remembered for the 2002 Iron Bowl, and like Kodi Burns, for a career of putting team above self.

Archived