'Major Changes'

I wonder if the "major changes" were in place when Troy trounced us last night. Even Troy's unis looked better than ours. . .

When Auburn was looking for a coach there was a good bit of talk about hiring Troy's Pierce. That may not have been a bad idea.

Sorry, but when you look at last season's success, it was almost totally due to sluggers and pitchers that were recruited by Slater and are now gone. We had a record number of players drafted and it appears nobody has been brought in to replace them.

Coach Paw did a questionable job of managing the power hitters, but I thought his penchant for coaching "small ball" might be an advantage in the age of deadened bats. That seems not to be the case.

Pawlowski:

"I'm not going to sit still," he said. "There will be major changes ahead."

Read more...

If last night was a "Major Change", then my butt is a typewriter. :angry:

Coach Paw didn't forget how to coach after last season.....give him a break for now. He's done a good job since he got here, until now. Lack of consistent pitching and two out hits with runners on is killing us.

Coach Paw didn't forget how to coach after last season.....give him a break for now. He's done a good job since he got here, until now. Lack of consistent pitching and two out hits with runners on is killing us.

I was not impressed with the way he handled the team last season. A number of those games were won in spite of the coaching, rather than because of it. My hope was that he wasn't used to having a team with that many great hitters on it (Who would be?) and when the game changed and his personnel changed this year he'd be more in his element. It doesn't look like that's the case.

Recruiting and coaching pitchers was supposed to be his strong point. Before last night, Auburn's team ERA was the second worst in the conference.

Two out hits with runners on win and lose baseball games. From eight year-olds through the major leagues, more runs are scored with two outs than in any other situation. I've never checked the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised to see that more runs are scored with two outs than with zero and one out combined. It's in the nature of the game.

Ok...so what, we fire him? We go looking for another coach? I want to win games and challenge for Championships like anyone else, but he's been here two seasons and it's time to go? The team plays better defense than we have in the past, and they are working hard to build this program. Link Jarrett is a very good coach, and Coach Paw did a very good job before he got here, so I can't say it's all on him, even though he'd tell you it's his responsibility.

I'm not sold on him being ran off just yet. I think he's doing a pretty good job overall, but it isn't looking good right now.

Ok...so what, we fire him? We go looking for another coach? I want to win games and challenge for Championships like anyone else, but he's been here two seasons and it's time to go? The team plays better defense than we have in the past, and they are working hard to build this program. Link Jarrett is a very good coach, and Coach Paw did a very good job before he got here, so I can't say it's all on him, even though he'd tell you it's his responsibility.

I'm not sold on him being ran off just yet. I think he's doing a pretty good job overall, but it isn't looking good right now.

I'm not asking for or even wanting a coaching change. I'm just frustrated about like our team and coaches are right now. I don't expect our Tigers to give up, and I'm not giving up. War Eagle!

I'm not asking for or even wanting a coaching change. I'm just frustrated about like our team and coaches are right now. I don't expect our Tigers to give up, and I'm not giving up. War Eagle!

Mostly what he said. The guy deserves more time to get things in order, but it's certainly taking longer than I had expected. I'll repeat, so far I'm not impressed but the jury is still out.

I know....my optimism can get in the way sometimes, but that's normally my style. I know this guy (Coach Paw) has what it takes, and I hope to goodness he proves me right.

I do not think that anyone wants a coaching change --just yet. I think we ( as well as the team) is tired of getting/watching the crap beat out of us. Getting swept in back to back weekends doesn't put me in a great mood on Monday. I know this is not football, but I do enjoy watching/listening/tracking AU baseball. 2-7 in SEC play and 15-14 overall is not good. I want the the team to win. I will cheer them on because they are Auburn and I am Auburn.

As a former baseball player, I can totally understand what this team is going through right now. Baseball is a game of streaks, for better or for worse. The bad news is that all these guys are down right now and they don't believe in their abilities, and they are afraid to make mistakes. Baseball is not fun for them right now, I guarantee it. When you are not having fun, baseball is like water torture. The good news is that it really only takes one swing of the bat, or one big defensive play to turn the entire morale of a team upside down. That's just the nature of baseball. Rather or not that moment comes soon enough or at all is the million doallar question.

Archived