AU vs. UT

Hard to believe but the SEC West is on the line...

Auburn's place in the jumbled SEC West standings may be confusing, but the Tigers' final destination is not.

Win one game, and Auburn is in the SEC tournament next week in Hoover.

Win two games, and the Tigers are almost certainly in the NCAA field.

Auburn (28-25, 13-14 SEC) will open a three-game series at Tennessee (23-28, 5-22) beginning today at 5 p.m.

The Tigers are currently in a four-way tie for first place in the SEC West, and one win would guarantee them a spot in Hoover. A second win would guarantee them a final record above .500, one of the requirements for an NCAA spot (Auburn's schedule strength would make its résumé strong enough to make the field). A third win would give the Tigers a chance to win back-to-back division titles for the first time since 1964-1965 -- when Auburn was in the SEC East.

Given the Vols' recent struggles, a sweep is the goal.

Read more: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/05/auburn_opens_series_against_st.html

Auburn's place in the jumbled SEC West standings may be confusing, but the Tigers' final destination is not.

Auburn (28-25, 13-14 SEC) will open a three-game series at Tennessee (23-28, 5-22) beginning today at 5 p.m.

The Tigers are currently in a four-way tie for first place in the SEC West, and one win would guarantee them a spot in Hoover. A second win would guarantee them a final record above .500, one of the requirements for an NCAA spot (Auburn's schedule strength would make its résumé strong enough to make the field). A third win would give the Tigers a chance to win back-to-back division titles for the first time since 1964-1965 -- when Auburn was in the SEC East.

Read more: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/05/auburn_opens_series_against_st.html

I am glad we do have such a difficult SOS... we played some pretty solid non-conference teams (Virginia, College of Charleston, Arizona State, Troy) and of course some solid conference teams as well (S. Carolina, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia). If only we could have won some more of the Samford/South Alabama/Troy/Jacksonville State games, and at least taken one from Miss State.

We're in a good position this weekend though, we have a great chance for a strong finish with Tennessee while the rest of the SEC West plays some tough games. A series win would be great, and a sweep would be fantastic.

I am glad we do have such a difficult SOS... we played some pretty solid non-conference teams (Virginia, College of Charleston, Arizona State, Troy) and of course some solid conference teams as well (S. Carolina, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia). If only we could have won some more of the Samford/South Alabama/Troy/Jacksonville State games, and at least taken one from Miss State.

We're in a good position this weekend though, we have a great chance for a strong finish with Tennessee while the rest of the SEC West plays some tough games. A series win would be great, and a sweep would be fantastic.

Let's go Tigers! FOCUS!!!!

Crap, I wish I could go to Knoxville to cheer them on!!!

@JHokanson

Justin Hokanson

Auburn on the board in the fifth on a SAC fly by Creede Simpson, trail Vols 3-1.

2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

McElroy flies out, and Auburn falls to Tennessee in the opener 5-2. Tigers drop to 28-26, 13-15 in SEC.

This team seems to do whatever is necessary to blow a big opportunity. About to sweep Georgia? No problem, give up 9 runs in the top of the ninth. About to sweep UAT? Not nine runs, but enough to lose. I won't be at all surprised if we GET swept this weekend.

Even if we win the next 2 games of the series, at best we'd finish 15-15 in the SEC. It looks like we're going to have to win a few games in the SEC tournament to even have a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament.

I know its easy to say this now but I had a feeling something like this might happen. The team has let opportunities go through its hands multiple time this year.

I know its easy to say this now but I had a feeling something like this might happen. The team has let opportunities go through its hands multiple time this year.

What bugs me is that it's not just this year. We did the same thing last year as well. We had the best hitting team in the history of Auburn baseball and more players chosen in the pro baseball draft than ever in Auburn's history. Yet we did poorly in the SEC tournament and lost to Clemson on our home field in the NCAA's.

Yes, last year's team did better overall, but when taken into context of the huge amount of talent we had on the field, that team underachieved at least as much as this year's team has.

Archived