2013 5* DE Carl Lawson commits to Auburn

WarTiger

Alpharetta, Ga.--Carl Lawson, a four-star defensive end from Milton High School, committed to Auburn on Saturday night after spending the day on the AU campus at a junior day. “I really like Auburn and they have been my favorite for a while now,” he told Inside the Auburn Tigers. “I have a long checklist of things I am looking forward in a college and Auburn meets all of them.”

The 6-3, 245-pound junior made 87 tackles with 15 quarterback sacks last season.

2w5vcbo.png

Carl Lawson, DE

Alpharetta, GA

6'3 / 245 / 4.7

Offers: Alabama, California, Clemson, Florida, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, Nebraska, Syracuse, Tennessee, UCLA, USC, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Washington, among others.

Recruiting Rankings

247Sports: 4*, Top247 (149)

ESPN: ESPNU 150

Rivals: 4* Rivals100 (91)

Scout: 4*

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cited Coach Pelton as a big part in his decision.

That's 2 big time D linemen very early. I know there are a million other variables (especially the fact that NSD is a very long time from now), but it seems Pelton isn't hurting the recruiting effort.

“My father wanted me to go to Auburn,” the younger Lawson said. “He wanted me to commit the last time I was there. He likes Auburn. My family loves it. Last time I visited Auburn, I named them as my leader. This time, I committed.”

“I’m probably going to still visit a lot of schools,” Lawson said. “Next week, I’m going to Tennessee. And then I’m going to Clemson with [my former high school teammate] Ryan Jenkins. I’m hoping to go to Ole Miss, and I’m definitely going to California in the summer to check out the schools out there, including USC and UCLA.

“I’m 100 percent with Auburn. It would have to be something dramatic for me to change my mind. My parents just want me to take all my visits, that’s the reason.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/03/24/carl-lawson-son-of-georgia-tech-football-star-commits-to-auburn/

10739624-large.jpg

Rivals' analysis talked of his speed and, it said, "the bonus is that he's also one of the strongest players in the country. At last check, Lawson was bench pressing around 450 pounds."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/03/four-star_defensive_end_carl_l.html

• 3 weeks later...

Now if we can hold on to him...

There's a 90% chance that we will. That's the percentage of early commits that end up signing with their original school.

Now if we can hold on to him...

There's a 90% chance that we will. That's the percentage of early commits that end up signing with their original school.

I've heard it said before, but I'm curious about that stat. I know that 90% of the 'overall' signees honor their original commitment, but I wonder if the number is lower (or higher) for the 4 and 5 star kids who are subjected to more pressure to 'flip' to other schools?

If anyone has any info on the past 10-20 years (when recruiting became a major business with the addition of dedicated websites, 24/7 media coverage, and so-called 'rock-star' coaches), I would be interested in hearing what story those numbers told. <_<

Rivals100 DE Carl Lawson, an Auburn commit, will visit Ole Miss this weekend w/ 2 teammates -- RB Peyton Barber & 2014 RB Treyvon Paulk.

Despite taking the trip to Ole Miss this weekend, Rivals100 DE Carl Lawson said he remains firm to Auburn.

@KeithRIVALS

USC coach Ed Orgeron is at Alpharetta (Ga.) Milton, home of Auburn 4-star DE commit Carl Lawson.

@KeithRIVALS

At Milton High School (Ga.) today checking out Rivals100 DE Carl Lawson. Coach Ed Orgeron from USC, coaches from UNC and Syracuse are here.

Watching Rivals100 DE Carl Lawson practice today, heard one college coach describe him as a "freight train" coming off the edge.

@JHokanson

Archived